IW STi Forum banner

STI vs. EVO???

897 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  91TB78 
#1 ·
Re: i need some help!!!

STI vs. WRX.... which one would be the champion.... Im not trying to start a controversy here but I love both cars.... I actually was going to purchase a WRX at first until I found out the EVO and STI are going to come here... but right now Im stuck between the twoo.. I love both cars and think they are beautiful. The EVO is the only one of the two that is actually out and has greatly attracted me, but from what I keep hearing the new STI is a beast. The STI is beautiful as well with its new face lift and sick performance, it just seems to be a winner.

Im stuck between which to pick, STI or EVO.... What do you guys think???

#4 ·
JJ said:
You will be happier if you want the most performance with the STi. The EVO only puts out 180WHP at the wheels from the factory, which is around only 30HP more than a WRX.
Performance is not only about which car puts out the biggest HP numbers. Sure, the STI has 300 HP and the Evo has 271 HP, a 30 HP difference. So in a straight line test or 1/4 mile you could say the STi has an edge over the Evo. This remains to be seen though since we can't just race the cars on paper. But rather at a track. The Evo looks to be very promising, SCC just reported an actual track test which had the Evo at 13.3 s in the 1/4. Very impressive.

But performance of a car does not just mean straight line tests. In the case of rally cars I think it has a lot to do with handling as well. In this category the EVO has traditionally beat the STi hands down. In terms of lateral accel, R&T tested the new EVO as pulling .97G on the skidpad. I doubt the STi will be able to produce even close to these numbers.

In short, we can't say which car is better for now, since the STi hasn't even been released and we have no test data to compare it to the EVO. But it should be a good match up. Both cars are exceptional, both have their positives and cons. Look at the data of the tests when they are availble, drive them both, and then decide.

#5 ·
EvoWrxSti said:
...new EVO as pulling .97G on the skidpad. I doubt the STi will be able to produce even close to these numbers.
you might be right on this one. previous model years of the sti have been below 0.9, based on some cursory google searches. can anyone find any performance spec on the my03 sti available overseas? (aussie, uk, etc??) i've had no luck. those will be 2.0L, but i imagine the suspension to be the same.

#6 ·
If you want a done package that handles well, brakes awesome, and goes like a no other then the STi is for you. If you want a car that handles better on tarmac stock (and probably aftermarket too by virtue of the Evo's suspension design) than the STi, goes fast in a line, and brakes awesome, but would be a better all-around package to mod on, then get the Evo.

The STi is going to be a great car. The Evo, while simpler is going to be a modders dream b/c of the engine's history, the transmission's history, etc. There is an Xtreme package for the Evo in the UK that includes the 2.3L stroker kit that pushes the car over 350hp and 400ftlbs of torque. Check it out:
http://www.xtreme-uk.net/default.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.