IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since the STi hasn't been released we can't really say one will outpefrom the other.

But so far these are the things that each have going for them in my opinion,

EVO -

1)Outhandles the STi, period. Keep in the mind that the USDM Evo doesn't even have ACD, or S-AYC and still manages to pull a .97G on the lateral acceleration skid pad. Quite impressive. I'll be waiting for the skidpad numbers on the STi, but I doubt it will be this high.

2) Proven engine, ready for modding and high power gains. The 46G3 is a very reliable and proven engine that handles turbo boost very well! The aftermarket parts for this engine setup are remarkable! With some simple bolt on you can gain substantial power from the detuned USDM Evo.

STi -

1) Larger displacement is obviously going to mean greater power output. The horizontal four is really nice and it low center of gravity gives it an added plus. On straight line acceleration, the STi will surprass the EVO. This engine is making a lot of power!! Not to mention the Variable Valve Timing mechanism!

2) More reliable. Subaru products have consistnely been well built with little manafacturing problems. On the other hand Mitsu has struggled in this department.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Blitz SBC-DC Instructions

Well, we had a decent discussion going about this earlier....but why not again.

As Shiv has said, it appears there are obvious advantages of each car. Foreign media is saying the same. A few of my favorites....

EVO Pros

- suspension......unreal track suspension
- engine....well known and power hungry

Cons

- suspension.......kicks your ass hardcore every day
- engine - while detuned, timing adjustments needed in stock form due to knocking
- design - yup, some like the style, but no one can argue the quality looks like a $30k car's
- quality - Mitsu.....nuf said

As the foreign press has said, if you want a bad ass car with a suspension that will beat your kidneys each day, go for the EVO. If you want a car that will get you 95% of the handling of the EVO, along with a better looking interior, better reliability and more initial power, go STi.

As far as I can tell, the EVOs only real advantage to this point is the suspension. There doesn't seem to be an argument there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
EvoWrxSti said:
does anyone care about Canada!?!?

LOOOOL
Yes. Well ... this week anyway. :) I have tickets to the Flyers vs the pesky Leafs first round game on Friday. If it was not for Canada, I would have had to go to a flower show with my wife! Thanks Canada! :)

Speedlimit ........ :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Subjectively, I found the ride quality of the EVO to be no less daily drivable than the STi. In some ways, I even found it to be more comfortable over most road surfaces (short of big potholes, bad broken pavement, etc,.)
That is Shiv's response to people saying it has a rougher ride. Seems like the Evo simply has a better suspension design. He did say the Sti had great torque though. I can't wait to see the comparsons and performance #'s for each. People are getting easy 13.5's @ 100+ from the Evo. An '03 Cobra owner on svtperformance.com even reported watching someone make several 13.2 passes in his stock Evo. Going to be very interesting in the next month or so to see the Sti #'s.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR

Goose said:
EvoWrxSti said:
does anyone care about Canada!?!?

LOOOOL
Well... you'd be surprized! Let's not go apenuts patriot now!
Well I told myself I would stay out of this one but I have no self control.

Patriotism has nothing to do do with this. It's just fun to make fun of Canada. No offense? Kinda like a red headed step child. :p

·
Registered
178 Posts
broeli said:
Subjectively, I found the ride quality of the EVO to be no less daily drivable than the STi. In some ways, I even found it to be more comfortable over most road surfaces (short of big potholes, bad broken pavement, etc,.)
That is Shiv's response to people saying it has a rougher ride. Seems like the Evo simply has a better suspension design. He did say the Sti had great torque though. I can't wait to see the comparsons and performance #'s for each. People are getting easy 13.5's @ 100+ from the Evo. An '03 Cobra owner on svtperformance.com even reported watching someone make several 13.2 passes in his stock Evo. Going to be very interesting in the next month or so to see the Sti #'s.
Shiv also said "PS. I have some good video tape of the STI being flicked through three successive low speed turns at willow springs (from last weekend) with all four tires light up, pointing 90 deg. from the way it was moving. Lots of immediate torque and the center active diff makes things that (and donuts, of course) come natural."

And "Subjectively, I found the ride quality of the EVO to be no less daily drivable than the STi. In some ways, I even found it to be more comfortable over most road surfaces (short of big potholes, bad broken pavement, etc,.) If there is an area that the STi is clearly superior to the EVO, I don't think it's in the suspension calibration. Torque? Well, that's another story

Just my opinion though so take it for what it's worth."

In another statement he said "The STi does have it's strengths, of course. And they should be fairly obvious. Nothing short of a 911 turbo will compare to the way it absolutely launches out of tight turns. Short gearing and lots of immediate, lag-free torque will make you smile There's more but that will have to wait until May "

:eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
EVO Con - ugly
- its a Mitsubishi

STi Con - somewhat exaggerated looks
STi Pro - its a Subaru

BTW - I am proud to be Canadian, but not proud that my country did not support the US in Iraq. I don't want to see Americans treat us like they are treating the French, if that is where some of the above attitudes are coming from.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
MYSTi said:
EVO Con - ugly
- its a Mitsubishi

STi Pro - its a Subaru

BTW - I am proud to be Canadian, but not proud that my country did not support the US in Iraq. I don't want to see Americans treat us like they are treating the French, if that is where some of the above attitudes are coming from.
Well said. This is one of the better boards in terms of information transfer. Too bad some politically based stuff makes its way in. Hell, the political crap run rampant on stock message boards and it's taking away from any useful conversation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MYSTi said:
EVO Con - ugly
- its a Mitsubishi

STi Pro - its a Subaru

I have not heard one person criticize Canada for their position. The French not only disagreed but actively and aggressively opposed us. Canada has always been with us and we will never forget the Canadian people who on 9/11 opened their hearts for 1000’s of travelers stranded across Canada. You should be proud to be a Canadian and I'm proud to call you neighbor. :)

Speedlimit……

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Re: Turbo on the 2004 STi/exchaust on the STi

That's pretty simple minded.....there's a lot more that makes each of these cars the amazing vehicles they are.

But I think most here will end up agreeing with your choice in the end.

·
Registered
281 Posts
In an ideal world, there's be one of each sitting in my garage. Along side a Skyline GT-R, a last generation RX-7, and a Supra Turbo. That would about cover my Asian supercar needs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
jbhebert said:
In an ideal world, there's be one of each sitting in my garage. Along side a Skyline GT-R, a last generation RX-7, and a Supra Turbo. That would about cover my Asian supercar needs.
Don't forget a Mazda 1991 787B lemans car too. OH LORD to have that car for a day on a track! I would most likely kill myself but it would be a Spectacular Death! :eek: :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts