IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you that have driven/ridden both cars, would you care to comment on the similarities/differences on the body ridigity of both cars? I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the STi feel as stiff as the Evo (aside from the suspension)?

I've test driven the Evo but I've only sat in the STi until the local dealers let me test one out. I really liked how the Evo felt very solid overall, almost like someone could lightly tap in the back bumper and I would be able to feel it sitting in the driver's seat :D I'm hoping the STi will feel about the same. I'm still on the fence about which to go with btw

·
Registered
185 Posts
Samco hoses for improved performance

I have not ridden in an EVO but Im happy with my STi, I feel as if I am connected to the road better than any other car I've ever driven.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I got ta beat up on my friends evo on a track awhile back and it was solid as a rock. My STI just went over 1k miles finally and i need to get an oil change and some other stuff done to it. Then its track time with the STI so i will be able to give my impression of it then. Peace!!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have to say the first thing I was impressed with on the STi was the body rigidity when I first got a ride in it. No comparison to the EVO.

Does the EVO start with an actual Lancer frame and then get reinforced, or is a completely different frame to begin with? If that was the case, just the quality of the two base vehicles would lead me to believe the Impreza is an easier starting block for a rigid chassis. If the EVO is a different frame....who knows.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have driven the EVO. I was not that impressed. It is qucik (not as quick as I expected), but it drives like a go-cart. I guess if you are looking for a race car that would be good. My STi is going to be my daily driver and I want to be somewhat comfortable during the commute. I know the magazines say the STi chasis is very rigid. I will let you know next week with my impressions, I pick my STi up then. :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all of you guy's comments. I'm still on the fence about both cars although I do have a deposit on a STi with a local dealer. When I test drove the Evo, I really liked the solid "feel" that the whole car had. I didn't find the suspension to be harsh, rather perfectly matched to the rigidity of the whole car. I hope the STi would be the same way but I'm a little worried about comments made by people that the STi is a little "softer" than the Evo. I know these are relative terms though so I'll have to see for myself.

gforced: I'm in FW, congrats on getting your STi and any chance that you would take me up on an offer for a free tank of gas for a ride in your STi? :wink: :D

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
When I get it I would be glad to. It will take a little while to get it broke in, but as soon as I do, let the tire smoking fun begin. What part of FW. I live in The Colony and I am probably moving to Valley Ranch/Las Colinas area at the begining of next year.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The Evo is on the Lancer chasis just like the STi is on the Impreza chasis. The difference is that the Evo had to be reinforced to keep it strong. The STi needed no reinforcement, it was strong enough to start with.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Not entirely true.....they've added bracing under the front and rear for the STi, have they not? That was the reason for not needing to offer strut tower braces, right?

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I would never call the STi soft. Perhaps the STi suspension is not as stiff as the Evo but it is a far cry from soft. The rock hard chassis impresses me every time I drive the car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Not entirely true.....they've added bracing under the front and rear for the STi, have they not? That was the reason for not needing to offer strut tower braces, right?
Can't remember whether the STi has specific bracing (I think you're right), but the reason you don't need a strut bar on the STi is that the struts are so close to the firewall. Look at the strut bars that people put on WRXs. They actually touch the firewall. What the heck good is that supposed to do? The bar isn't going to be stiffer than the firewall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Power after ping fix (ECU reflash)??

Ok. I own an Evo but have just recently driven an Sti. The Evo feels more rigid. Keep in mind the Evo has hundreds of extra reinforing welds along with strut tower brace and integrated rear shock tower brace. The two cars have a different feel. If you want a car that is closer to other cars you might drive, the Sti is for you. If you want one that is sharper and a tad stiffer/harsher than most typical cars than you'll like the Evo. People talk like the Evo would be a terrible daily driver...that is really puzzling statement..I guess it is just non-Evo people making those assumptions. I drive mine everyday on the bad/rough Ohio streets/highways and I've never felt it was inadequate as a daily driver. Drive both and you'll understand.

·
Registered
410 Posts
matadorCE said:
I'm still on the fence about both cars although I do have a deposit on a STi with a local dealer. D
Well lets just hope the fence breaks and you fall on the STI side. :wink:
Peace!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gforced said:
When I get it I would be glad to. It will take a little while to get it broke in, but as soon as I do, let the tire smoking fun begin. What part of FW. I live in The Colony and I am probably moving to Valley Ranch/Las Colinas area at the begining of next year.
I'm in the Cityview area of FW. Congrats again on the car and once it's broken in, let me know and I'll be glad to meet up.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Windshield Decal

well I finally got a chance to drive an EVO and I would say that I prefer the torque of the STi and that gauges of the STi a lot more. The EVO definitely has more precise and nimble steering, which is great when you are driving in a "sprited manner", but be super careful if you have to look down to pick up something or look away from the road for a few seconds. Even minor movements of the steering wheel can cause substantial deviations to the cars direction. The owner of the EVO that I drove has said that if he has to look away from the road to pick up change or something of that nature that he takes his hands off the wheel so he doesn't inadvertantly turn it slightly and head directly off line.
A steering rack somewhere between the EVO and STi would be excellent. As for rigidity, I would say both are rigid enough but the STi gets there with less extra work. Doesn't really matter how it gets there, both are about equal.

Keep splitting the hairs, it's great fun. :D

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have driven both cars now. The steering is not that different, but the EVO's steering is quciker. I agree with Xman, don't look away or you will end up in a ditch. I think the STi is more comfortable but yet, still stiff. I can't wait until I hit my 1k mark so I can let it loose. I can tell the beast wants to play. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was fortunate to be able to drive the two cars back to back within a half of each other. Right off I should state that I’m bias to the Subaru. I’ve been following the cars for quite a while, and I put in for my wrx about 3 months before they shipped. Even then I was fully aware that I wanted an STi when the finally came state side, assuming SOA didn’t decide to drop the ball on the whole thing. With that said…
I think it all really comes down to preference. As close as these two cars are they are miles apart. They have different styles, different approaches, and different personalities. The EVO has a small wheel and quick steering that adds to the racecar feel, but seems a little twitchy and over sensitive during a normal drive. It tends to want to go every direction but straight. But in quick tight curves, it’s a delight. The STi has amazing torque. So much so that it seems to want to run away with it’s self. I was used to giving my wrx a certain amount of gas, but with the STi that same throttle pressure sent it screaming. It has power to spare. The EVO felt like it had to work for it.
As far as the specific question about the chassis they are very close, but again different feel. Both are super stiff. It’s really the suspension that feels different. The EVO is tight all over the place and the shocks do want to compress, but the STi felt like it allowed for a little move travel. It’s not that the STi is soft, it just allows the suspension to do what it was made to do, soak up big bumps. The STi does have slightly slower steering, but with appropriate input rewards the driver over and over.

Preference my friend that all it is. Go with what feels good to you, either way you’ve gone a good route.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts