IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanna get an intake but.......

I posted this here because The Baja turbo has a "detuned version" of the Sti motor in it. That being the 2.5L Turb, Running maybe 11psi, compared to the 14? of the Sti.

Other then that Obvious difference, Why do they call it detuned?

Are there other parts the Sti has that the Baja Turbo motor lacks?

Are the internals, and the turbo charger the same?

diccefrnt Ecu, and if so... Does anyone think, or know that it may be interchanged to make the baja turbo motor perform like the Sti motor?

The intake the same? I'm sure the exhaust is not obviously, the design doesnt flow the same under both cars I don't think, but Is the stock exhaust manifold different or the same?

After all those are answered, What would it take to Get the Baja Turbo motor up to par or ahead of the Sti motor?

The next set of questions I had, Are About the aftermarket parts for the Sti.

Are there forged internals like pistons rods, and otherwise out yet?

anybody got any good links to Web sites that sett all engine parts aftermarket/Performance for the Sti motor? .. Cams, Intake, Exhaust, Pistons, Wrist pins, Rods, Oversized valves, Springs and retainers, Engine management systems????

Last but not least.. to explain why I'm asking all this .. Simply because I need more Cargo space then the STi has to offer, hence why i sold my reserve early this year, and am now looking into purchasing a Baja turbo to suit my needs, but It lacks the power I crave, so I'm going to drop a lot of money into the motor to make it out perform the Sti in Power if I can, and I need all of your help.. hold the flames please, We all have different tastes.. thanks ~ Brett R.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
inSTIgate said:
I posted this here because The Baja turbo has a "detuned version" of the Sti motor in it. That being the 2.5L Turb, Running maybe 11psi, compared to the 14? of the Sti.

Other then that Obvious difference, Why do they call it detuned? probably because it will make less hp.

Are there other parts the Sti has that the Baja Turbo motor lacks? Probably a smaller turbo/intercooler like the forester along with some other minor stuff *smaller hoodscoop and such*...

Are the internals, and the turbo charger the same? The turbo is probably the forester's turbo, but internals are the same probably *being discussed as well*

diccefrnt Ecu, and if so... Does anyone think, or know that it may be interchanged to make the baja turbo motor perform like the Sti motor? Yes Im sure there will be a UTEC for it sometime soon.

The intake the same? I'm sure the exhaust is not obviously, the design doesnt flow the same under both cars I don't think, but Is the stock exhaust manifold different or the same? Probably the same as the engine is the same (well the block is I woulda ssume)

After all those are answered, What would it take to Get the Baja Turbo motor up to par or ahead of the Sti motor? Sti turbo, intercooler, and some tuning. If not some other goodies.

The next set of questions I had, Are About the aftermarket parts for the Sti.

Are there forged internals like pistons rods, and otherwise out yet? not sure

anybody got any good links to Web sites that sett all engine parts aftermarket/Performance for the Sti motor? .. Cams, Intake, Exhaust, Pistons, Wrist pins, Rods, Oversized valves, Springs and retainers, Engine management systems???? www.godspeedinc.com is a good start. turboxs.com for engine management

Last but not least.. to explain why I'm asking all this .. Simply because I need more Cargo space then the STi has to offer, hence why i sold my reserve early this year, and am now looking into purchasing a Baja turbo to suit my needs, but It lacks the power I crave, so I'm going to drop a lot of money into the motor to make it out perform the Sti in Power if I can, and I need all of your help.. hold the flames please, We all have different tastes.. thanks ~ Brett R.
Well im sure you can make it outdo a STOCK STi. but I dont know if you think it can outdo all stis and usch. It'd take some serious work to just say you can beat a bunch of STis and such. You will probably have to wait for some good tuning or just do a bunch of little mods (exhaust/headers/intake/ etc). I know of a WRX that could keep up with me stock (TBE, pulley, BOV, DSMBC, and some other little stuff), so Im sure it can be done.

Robert~

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
edit* whoops.. didnt see that you answered it all, thank you! lol.. I thought you just pressd quote, so i made a reply.. but i gotcha, anybody else Care to attck this Baja build up topic?

dang, edit again* - im looking to run the PE 1818 turbo or the 1820 i think, not sure which i want.. ill have to research both, but im looking to throw down 350WHP on a built baja turbo motor and i realize this wont be easy considering the 4 WD system power loss is significant.. so i need forged internals and what not..

AGAIN Edit* .. heh man edit rules, dont have to waste space.. anyway I'm gonna check out the 2.5RS T guys for forged internals, they should know considering i'm suresome of them were smart enough to use forged internals, but id still like advidce as to where some 8-1 forged in stock mm can be found, i checked out JUN but their web site must have been translated, the wording is un-clear to me and they never say if they are forged or not just says stuff like "for those who look to push the engines performance" .. that tells me nothing.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya I understand, but with a bigger turbo you will need some dyno time and serious enginemanagement, fuel pump, injectors, etc... good luck man and keep us posted.

Robert~

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, I definitly will.. but I have aq feeling since the Sti Is so new, the aftermarket support may be quite limited for a hwile, with me stll in the dark.. I may Start the build up in ths coming spring, as I spend the winter Making a parts list.. Seems like the best thing I can do for now so I can compare all and any parts and options i have for performance.. but I will definitly Keep everyone posted about How it goes..

fuel pump - everyone seems to be using denso/ supra furle pumps on the Wrx's .. any reason why? wont a standard walbro flo just like any toyota part ever will

·
Registered
949 Posts
easystreet motorsports has a silver 500hp baja!
i'd say she's a mean machine.

that being said, i don't really like my 95 bronco and would much rather have a baja to run around in the bad weather. with some hakka 2's on that piece as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mmm, Sweet I Wrote them, waiting for a reply about a custom built motor, That should do the trick .. they have 344 500 and 740 HP packages I just realized, I found my answer there.. thanks for mentioning them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts