1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
133 Posts
the STI lost at the end by a little. but then again, it was a very good match, not that the driver of the STI was bad either. I think the STI driver did a decent job. cause you have to remember that the CL has 260 at the crank, so your talking about 220-230whp along with 75 shot NOS. so when comparing, very similiar HP and weight. That was a very good match.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
how can you even tell who won or lost... the sti was ahead by a bunch and i dont think he would just "lose" like that. It didnt even show times... are you sure the CL won and that it wasnt just the angle the video was being shot at?

Robert~

·
Registered
87 Posts
well...from the reaction of the camera man at the end..it seems that the CL Type S beat the STi (by just a little I'd say)...From the start, the STi left the CL by about 2/3 car length but halfway through, the CL caught up quick after shootin' his NOS...

·
Registered
424 Posts
isn't it because the light on the side of the CL at the end of the track went off first? thats how its always been in drag vids... never actually been in an event... but whoever reaches the end first get that light on their side of the track. i was like WTF?!?? i saw the STi had some carlengths on the CL in the beginning then it must've caught up just a little ahead

·
Registered
133 Posts
its because of the lights at the end. who ever crosses the line first, gets a light to indicate they won. If this was head to head, the STI would of won, cause as you all can see the STI pulled on the CL until he shot his NOS.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That was me in the STi.

It was my first time at the track so I would agree that my driving was pretty weak. A good Subby driver with lots of experience could have dropped almost a second off my run. You can see by my times, I have a real slow start (but it sure looked fast on video):

60' 2.118
1/8 9.265
1/4 14.379 @ 96.38 mph (79 degrees)

My friend Mantis (Acura-CL.com) has a CL-S with headers, intake, and a 75 shot of NOS. He had run a 14.5 before the NOS and this was his first trip out with the new mod. He had his trunk emptied and his lower back seat out for weight reduction. He won (you can tell by the lights at the end) by 0.0514 seconds (about 3 feet) at the end. He ran a 14.1 but I had him at the tree.

I can tell you, it is a good match up because I have about 0.5 seconds I should be able to drop with better driving, and he sould be in the 13.75 to 13.95 range consistantly (he ran a 13.98 much later in the evening when the temps dropped significantly).

Inferno

·
Registered
133 Posts
infernosti

Where is this track at? since your in mckinney, im in north dallas. I would like to take my sti out for a run to see what times i can get.

·
Registered
100 Posts
xman810 said:
infernosti

Where is this track at? since your in mckinney, im in north dallas. I would like to take my sti out for a run to see what times i can get.
Ennis (take 45 south to Ennis then about 6 miles west to the track). Nice track, full details on the slips, etc. There are a lot of Subaru's down at Ennis all the time.

It is lots of fun--but there are a lot of folks who expect low 13s out of an STi because they read it in a magazine or they say you suck (see the start of this thread). Most of them have never been out themselves, I think, because those that have give advice on improving. My thought is that the first time out, don't set your expectations too high and you will enjoy yourself even more. And if you do get into the low 13s first time out, consider yourself pretty good!

Cheers, Inferno

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
InfernoSTi said:
That was me in the STi.

It was my first time at the track so I would agree that my driving was pretty weak. A good Subby driver with lots of experience could have dropped almost a second off my run. You can see by my times, I have a real slow start (but it sure looked fast on video):

60' 2.118
1/8 9.265
1/4 14.379 @ 96.38 mph (79 degrees)

My friend Mantis (Acura-CL.com) has a CL-S with headers, intake, and a 75 shot of NOS. He had run a 14.5 before the NOS and this was his first trip out with the new mod. He had his trunk emptied and his lower back seat out for weight reduction. He won (you can tell by the lights at the end) by 0.0514 seconds (about 3 feet) at the end. He ran a 14.1 but I had him at the tree.

I can tell you, it is a good match up because I have about 0.5 seconds I should be able to drop with better driving, and he sould be in the 13.75 to 13.95 range consistantly (he ran a 13.98 much later in the evening when the temps dropped significantly).

Inferno
Its all good i just really want an sti so i can Own soopa he my good friend and he beats me now....so the sti is the ticket for me!!! Sorry about the ball busting :oops:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hey ya'll....good to hear from more STi owners in the Texas area....I live just about 1 1/2 hours south of D/FW in the Ft. Hood, Killeen, Temple area. Have been to Ennis numerous times, but for Fun Ford Weekends, that I'm sure ya'll don't want to hear about...very nice track however. Recently purchased the STi with an '03 Mustang GT trade in...hurt a little, but don't miss it much....this is a far superior car. By the way, nice launch out of the hole...looked sweet. If it was a typical TX day, it was like driving through a swamp....wait till nice, cool nights like now and you should easily be in the low to mid-13's. First time at the track and one like Ennis is nerve racking.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks PHil2, we're all cool.

I expect to drop my times with a better launch and cooler temps. Plus I need to try various shift points since the gearing is so short. It is hard to tell if you should shift at the HP peak or wind it all the way out. I need to try both and see the 1/8 and 1/4 times and mhp's.

Should be fun learning!

Cheers, Inferno

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Not sure of the RPM power band of this vehicle, but it seems to be right at 4,000 RPM where all the REAL FUN begins under hard throttle. So, if you can figure out how to shift just past the largest horsepower RPM, which is 6,000, landing you at about 4,000 RPM in the next gear (which I believe is max torque), then you ought to come out with a pretty good time....either way, fill us in on what you figure out. Will be interesting to hear. We're both dealing with this HOT TX weather....

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Black / Silver Northeast Ohio

Should be able to do this with calculus.

Just record your rpms and speed in each gear. Do it while accelerating from something like 2000 rpms to redline in each gear.

Then just integrate the data for speed (its not constant so you'll just have to plot it in small intervals) and calculate acceleration for every 100rpms or so. Plot these on a graph of speed versus acceleration for each gear.

Wherever your acceleration in a lower gear is lower than your acceleration in a higher gear, you know you should shift before that point. That's assuming it happens at all before you hit the governor....

Well, anyway, it would be interesting to see the data. Just put a digital video camera behind your shoulder and run the tests, then port the video to your computer and use something like adobe, you'll get time code down to 1/24ths of a second (each frame @ standard) and you could make some pretty exact data with computer graphs....

Of course, all of this is theoretical, but it should give you a good idea of where the "sweet spot" is for shifting. If someone wants to make the film and import it I *might* be willing to do the math if I have the time....

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've tried every shift point imaginable. The best runs I've gotten were shifting at my rev alarm, which is set at 7K. If you don't shift fast, you might want to consider setting it at 6800 or 6900 to avoid hitting the rev limiter. I still do it from time to time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Wow man....you're the first I've read about that has actually tagged a 12.9/qtr .....I'm assuming you live in Pennsylvania, due to the PA at your location..HOPE I'M RIGHT!!!!....In Texas, it's VERY difficult to get cars to run what most car magazines and dealer performance specs say they will run...everywhere here is like a hot, muggy swamp. This is even during the winter months, where it is still humid. Kinda sucks. But congrats on the great time.....Jarod

·
Registered
105 Posts
Heh...thanks man. Not to hijack a thread or anything, but just to be clear the "stock" in my signature includes a disconnected exhaust. I am very confident though that I can post a sub 13.0 with it connected. Here's hoping you get some cool days down there so you can feel that turbo really open up!

Scott

·
Registered
100 Posts
YBnormal07 said:
I've tried every shift point imaginable. The best runs I've gotten were shifting at my rev alarm, which is set at 7K. If you don't shift fast, you might want to consider setting it at 6800 or 6900 to avoid hitting the rev limiter. I still do it from time to time. Good luck!
Thank you for the detailed shift info--that is really useful to hear.

Congrats on your sub-13 times--best I've seen!

I feel like I can make some major gains (several tenths at least) using some sound advice next time out.

Here is what I have gathered so far:

1. Higher launch rpm/faster clutch release (5,000+/-).
2. Later shifting rpm (7,000 +/-).
3. Shallow stage (just break the second yellow to allow a full foot of travel before clearing the timing beam).
4. Cooler temps/lower humidity (yeah, lots of luck).

Anything else come to mind from all the experienced Subby racers?

Inferno

1 - 20 of 20 Posts