IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten word that the turbo in the STi is possibly a IHI VF30 Ball-Bearing. Not bad for a start.. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
JJ said:
I have gotten word that the turbo in the STi is possibly a IHI VF30 Ball-Bearing. Not bad for a start.. :)
Actually I am hearing vf 39 !

·
Registered
986 Posts
Actually the VF30 is not a ball bearing turbo. I would say it is a rather old turbo. The VF30 ball bearing turbo version is the VF34. Which also has been around for a year or two.

People have mentioned that they have seen the "outside" of the turbo in the car and it seems to be a VF30/34 housing. But who knows for sure.

By the way the V30-34 have ben installed as part of staged packages by
the WRX tuners. It can do a lot more thatn 14-15 psi (probably easily 18psi)

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
178 Posts
Official press release w/hint of delivery date.

Trust me on this one. It is the Vf -39 :) Shares the housing with the vf-30 though.
Vf -36 is the twin scroll.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are some of the specs on the VF-39? Will be upgrading to anything else, or does it have big power potential on it's own...

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey dlowman it is a vf39? i trust u all the way because u probally know the most but i was wondering how did u find out? ive never seen a vf39 turbine before so i guess ill find it now thanks dlowman
O4STi

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mr. Glen Wallace over at NASIOC either first said it was or confirmed that it was a VF39. He has his source but it didn't reveal it (I believe).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: What about HI's allocation??

i think people in hawaii should do everyone a big favor and take out the turbo. now wouldnt that be great so we get the REAL answer? LOL i wouldnt do that though =( but plzz?
O4STi

·
Registered
178 Posts
FREE ICE CREAM!!

Yes Glen is the one that confirmed it to me. But he won't give the specs yet. I am pretty sure it is a completely new turbo cause I have not heard anything on it. Should be quite interesting. Wish I knew more guys. Give me time ;) It's good to know people lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked and read everything about the STI specs nothing about what Turbo there going to use. I would just like to know the Size??

·
Registered
178 Posts
STIBLuE said:
I looked and read everything about the STI specs nothing about what Turbo there going to use. I would just like to know the Size??
Blue it's definately the vf39 we just don't seem to have the specs for it. I am going to try to contact ihi and see if they can give them to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The VF39 is the biggest turbocharger Subaru makes then? What size turbo does the EVO have? VF39 that sounds huge. I think the biggest I read was a VF34.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Subaru doesn't make turbos....IHI builds the VF series turbos. From what has been said, the VF39 is a new model made just for the STi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
STIBLuE said:
The VF39 is the biggest turbocharger Subaru makes then? What size turbo does the EVO have? VF39 that sounds huge. I think the biggest I read was a VF34.
The turbo 'size' (if you wanted to simplify it as a single magnitude) can't be determined by the number. The VF34 is not the biggest IHI found on a WRX. The VF22 is. The rule is, the higher the number, the newer the turbo. That's how it typically goes (there are exceptions irrc). So, the number/name doesn't tell you anything we don't already know.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hmmmm.... I had always understood that the VF-22 was actually, technically a larger turbo than the VF-30 ....... more of a drag type turbo ......

edit: that's funny, didn't see the post above ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
well isnt the vf22 bigger than then vf30? so on that path....the vf39 would be smaller than that and the vf34

godspeed doesnt seem to think its very big...

the evo has a td05-16g....step up from the wrx td04

edit: didnt see the previous 2 posts :oops:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts