IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I've been searching for options as far as turbo/supercharger kits for a US 2.5L STi and haven't really had alot of luck. I either get sites for hopping up a regular WRX or for the 2.0L version. Any good sites out there that you'd be wiliing to recommend?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
SC??? Huh?

Watch the more common tuners for what's in the pipe.

www.vishnutuning.com
www.turboxs.com

Vishnu is currently doing testing with the XEDE piggy back controller and is having good results. Shiv has a turbo he claims was too laggy on the WRX that he is hoping will work well in the STi.

Turbo XS....says a few more months for the UTEC system for the STi. The have a new turbo in the works for the STi. I forget the name...it's a "green" turbo, apparently they are big in the DSM world.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CloNeGTS said:
SC??? Huh?
Hehe, didn't think so but I just like the sound. :D

And the assloads of torque (not that its necessarily needed for an AWD car, but it's still nice)...

Anyway, thanks for the sites.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You do know the STi is turbocharged from the factory, right? Just checking...

And it already has assloads of torque, which is in fact needed more for AWD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, I know WRX's and STi's come straight from the factory with a turbo. I've followed the WRX line since it was announced for the states. I simply want a BIGGER turbo, and the perks that come along with it. And 274 ft-lbs of torque isn't an assload, its merely a decent starting point.

So what if I haven't driven an STi? I'm someone who doesn't have the means to purchase one at the moment, as I'm entering my final year of college. I'm still passionate about wanting one, I plan to get one ASAP and enjoy the hell out of it.

And whats wrong with me liking the sound a supercharger makes?

·
Registered
199 Posts
how are things at globex?

wait a little while for the tuners to do their work. there will be lots of options.

also it seems that not only have you not driven an STi, but you don't know very much about the car. might i suggest browsing this forum as well as the many others available on the web. there's lots of info to be had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Things at globex are good. :D

I feel I know a decent amount about the car, I read/watch everything I can about it and am always looking to learn more. My supercharger question was more daydream than anything.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just like BOVs, don't do something just for the sound of it! ;)

Nothing wrong with liking a S/C and it's sound.....you're just not going to find one for a WRX....anywhere!

S/C whine = Cobra
"What the hell is that sound???" = STi

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Hank, I know a couple of guys in Rochester with STi's and I have one in Buffalo. Take a ride first before you downplay the stock torque. A good boost controller, downpipe and you will see that the turbo won't need to be upgraded immediately.

I am beginning to shop around, but without the correct engine control systems getting a bigger turbo will not be the best avenue (yet).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Hank__Scorpio said:
CloNeGTS said:
Just like BOVs, don't do something just for the sound of it! ;)
Not just for the sound, as I said the gobs of torque. :D 274 ft-lbs is nice, but...
you do realize that a turbo generally (if put into a realistic perspective) will have more power then a supercharger, as the s/c requires more hp and such to run, the only difference is that you will have lag with the turbo vs all time running with s/c. (not trying to down ya, but making sure you understand - or if im wrong set me straight).

Robert~

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The turbo will have a higher top end HP, the SC will have more torque.

The way I was taught to understand the difference is this. If two hypothetical identical cars running the same boost for a 1/4 mi but one had a SC the other had a turbo, the SC would win. Because the turbo would have to spin up but the SC would have more immediate power. If it were a mile long race the turbo would win because they are much more efficient at top end. They both have their plusses and minuses. I just like to keep my options open. :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I don't think any generalization like that can be made. TCs never take power from the car to create more...it's transfering wasted energy into power. A SC scavanges power from the engine from the start. For this to be a fair comparison, a starting point with no FI would need to be set.

There are pluses and minuses.....but just not sure why anyone would convert from one to another. Once one route is taken, the other is like switching from RWD to AWD.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
274 ft/lbs... if your talkin about the STi it is 300 ft/lbs to my understanding.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Hank__Scorpio said:
The turbo will have a higher top end HP, the SC will have more torque.

The way I was taught to understand the difference is this. If two hypothetical identical cars running the same boost for a 1/4 mi but one had a SC the other had a turbo, the SC would win. Because the turbo would have to spin up but the SC would have more immediate power. If it were a mile long race the turbo would win because they are much more efficient at top end. They both have their plusses and minuses. I just like to keep my options open. :D
I dont see why that would be tho considering at the same boost and levels the turbocharged car would have more power then the supercharged (as the SC steals hp and the TC converts wasted energy into usable energy)... the only difference is in the lag, but like stated it would be very difficult to put that in a hypothetical situation. A 200hp NA car with a s/c lets say gets 250hp from the s/c(a 30-50hp increase across the board wooo) and the same 200hp NA car with a t/c gets 300hp with that same setup (because its not using any hp up to run it, its just converting). Which would be better? In reality the t/c (when used in exact comparison) will ALWAYS make more power, as it doesnt steal power to work, it just converts wasted energy. The only difference is the lag, but in most cases a lag of 2000-3000rpm wont make enough of a difference to matter. Specially if you can launch the cars in the race ( to where you're always in boost anyways from the get - go). So... as stated there are too many different things that can be put into play to go one way or the other so... just leave it at that s/c and t/c both have their + and -.

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
Actually turbo wil make more power than SC at same boost pressure if the turbine is properly matched. Turbo does not have parasitic drag like the SC and is also internally more efficient. Lastly, it has more torque and usually soner so you'll find that between an SC and a turbo car that make the same whp the turbo car will almost always be faster. There's a reason there are almost no Japanese SC cars out there. Just for reference I made 312 ft lbs of torque at the wheel with stock turbo and stock exhaust. Only a few minor modifications on the STi. We will have our GT35R turbo on the STi in a few weeks. Hopefully we wil have positive results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IRT Guru

I know turbos are more efficient, I even stated it myself.

But here's a question for you to chew on: If turbos have more torque and they get it quicker than a supercharger, why would top fuel draggers use S/C?

IRT eatV8

I've read some independant dyno charts and they claim around 274 ft-lbs. I'd trust them more than the manufacturers numbers until I personally find out otherwise.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
One is a claim to the wheels (274 ft/lbs) and the other is at the crank (300 ft/lbs).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just out of curiosity Hank. What is it that you studying?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.