IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: hey guys, how about that a twin turbo STi.....Ive been thinken if it can be done.....but seeing that we have the MAF and all that as a restriction, Im still putting the thought in my head if I can do this setup, this is where the Utech question comes into play, does the UTEC use the stock MAF or does it use the MAP......becasue the MAF is my only down fall in how to create this setup.....but i think my slogan says it all "Anything can be Done!" So breath your opinions.......... :lol:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean by owned?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Owned: (I apologise in advance if you're on dialup)

That clear enough? lol.... sorry, this is a popular pastime with some of my friends.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol that was funny, bitbur you have some interesting thoughts that float in your head.....your opinions about things make me laugh! that was sweet though, but seriously is this a bad thing i figured i could try to be the first sti with twins lol or just a big A&@ turbo?!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Oh, no, I would be totally excited to hear about it if you decided to go ahead with the project, I was just explaining the meaning of owned. :)

If you go with two turbos tho, I know there are different ways to go about it.... some systems use two that are exactly the same, and others (that i've heard of - can't verify if this is really true) use a really big one and a small one, so basically the small one gives you enough boost to get power until you get into the high rpms and can really build boost, and the big one becomes the bigger pusher once you're really on the boost.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea the first setup is a true non-sequential turbo system, and the second point you made is noted mostly on mk4 supras and 3rd gen rx7s, im looken to do the same size turbos' .....i think if this were to be a prototype system first id go with the stock turbo's and go from there ya know!?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yea, sounds like an interesting project. Definately suggest going to an FMIC if you're gonna try it. I imagine you'll have to use the empty space it frees up for the second turbo.... I don't know where else you could fit one.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yea most definatly an FMIC crap i was thinken of two seperate FMIC's but collect into one before the Tb becasue of the air turbulance and the way its gonna be setup

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You would probably be better off combining it into one before the IC and using one IC..... you were thinking using the TMIC and an FMIC? I suppose that could work but you would need to mix all the incoming airflow well before it got dumped into engine so you don't have a big temp difference between the cylinders.....

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no no 2 side mounts in the front

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
side mounts? lol.... you mean like two half front mounts?

If that's the case I'd think a single front mount would be better.... you could have it custom made or modified to have two inlet pipes going right into the IC core, and just a wider one on the outlet going to the engine.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea thats not a bad idea! i didn't mean side mounts, more of front mounts......but one single one will not actually be effiecent enough for the flow of CFM's

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
justin, you just stick to your morning ABC cereal, you will never know how to do things yoruself! ;-)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The only benefit that would come of that would be the 'wow' factor that you receive for such an accomplishment. Other than quick spool up(which isn't really a problem anymore with ball-bearing turbos today), I cannot think of another reason to do this.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
what is the point of a TT system? To take up room? To make more lag? To make gaining hp as complicated as possible? Get a bigger turbo and see if you even like it before you put money and time into a TT project. That and see if your car can even take a TT setup... I mean have you seen the pics of the GT35R kits? Guru had one heck of a time just fitting ONE turbo in the engine bay, good luck with two. *sigh* well good luck with whatever you plan on doin...

Also Stee, you are right, if he can create a valve setup to spool one turbo and then the next (like the stock sequential TT supra setup) it might be faster *i guess* then it will just be like adding a bigger single turbo. As spooling two turbos will create as much lag as spooling one big turbo the same size as those two. Supra TT setups are somewhat complex and people usually go "TTM" or True Twinturbo Mode and just set it so that both turbos spool up at the same time. Giving a more "rush" feeling, but because a lot of people had problems with the #1 or #2 turbo wearing out really fast with the stock setup. So again good luck, and make sure to make a lot of documentation.

Robert~

1 - 20 of 62 Posts