IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dash Touch UP?

i was wondering if anyone has had a problem with their trans. i go about 70mph in 5th go to downshift to 4th then it grinds. it only happens in that type of situation. brought it to the dealer and they said that they will take the tranny out, send it to subaru car club of america and they will look at it. before all that, they said i need to sign some paper work saying that i will agree to pay $1,000 if when they do send it and scca says its not under warranty, that the money pays for the dealer taking and sending out the tranny. the dealer said that scca said this whole process only takes place with the sti. so, i'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Nope, sorry man....your situation sounds a little fishy though. If I were you, I'd go to another dealer or call SOA to discuss your problem. 5th to 4th at 70 mph should be no problem. No grinds in mine as of yet, but I only have 3,880 miles. My fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im having the same problem man!!! Ur not the only one. I have your exact same problem. Read the thread 'Definition of abused Tranny?'

later

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
SOA = Subaru of America
SCCA = Sports Car Club of America

Tell them you're not willing to pay an exhorbitant fee to have SOA look at your tranny, and that having the car unavailable for that long is not acceptable. Ask them exactly what findings would not be covered. Ask them why they, the dealership, can't examine the transmission. Ask them how they would if they were treated that way.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Whoever mentioned checking the gear oil level didn't have a bad idea - mine is just under the "low" mark. Wish I'd checked it earlier, have no idea if it's been that way all along (but have to assume it was).

BTW, I went to the subaru dealer and they weren't really sure what kind of gear oil subaru puts in. They did point out to use GL-5, 75w-90 oil but other than that, they didn't know. So I bought some castrol 75w-90 and am going to hope for the best when I top off the trans with it. :-?

·
Registered
347 Posts

just how hard are you guys hammering the shifter when you downshift? if you are shifting in a nice, smooth fashion, and you're getting some grinding, i'd say something is wrong for sure. if you're trying to pop the shift really quickly, that is probably the problem. well?...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
dan850r said:
i was wondering if anyone has had a problem with their trans. i go about 70mph in 5th go to downshift to 4th then it grinds. it only happens in that type of situation. brought it to the dealer and they said that they will take the tranny out, send it to subaru car club of america and they will look at it. before all that, they said i need to sign some paper work saying that i will agree to pay $1,000 if when they do send it and scca says its not under warranty, that the money pays for the dealer taking and sending out the tranny. the dealer said that scca said this whole process only takes place with the sti. so, i'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Check the oil for sure, it takes 30 seconds and unlike the engine dipstick, is very easy to read. Mine is right in the middle, but I have heard of at least a few people that were low.

-st

·
Registered
541 Posts
WTB: OEM arm rest for STI

dan850r said:
brought it to the dealer and they said that they will take the tranny out, send it to subaru car club of america and they will look at it. before all that, they said i need to sign some paper work saying that i will agree to pay $1,000 if when they do send it and scca says its not under warranty, that the money pays for the dealer taking and sending out the tranny.
If this is actually what the dealer said, it's really sad. Either they're disreputable to a high degree, or completely ignorant. Neither case bodes well if you plan to service your car there.

It is complete BS, and you should call them on it, unless you can clarify that they honestly meant "SOA" and not "SCCA".

We have heard that trannies are being yanked and sent off somewhere, with threats to make the owner pay for shipping, etc., and that's pretty sad, too. Sounds pretty shady to me...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well before you go through all of those problem see if rev matching the tranny helps, cause in all of my other cars it has taken care of the grinding everytime. Just in case you dont know what rev matching for the downshift is, or i am calling it by the wrong name...here is what i do, i do it even when the tranny isnt grinding, it makes smoother down shifts. So we will use my v6 camaro as a example. If i am in 3rd gear doing 40 mph i am at about 2,500rpms, and if i want to down shift, i press the clutch and before i put it into the second gear slot i hit the throtal to about 4k rpms, then i bring it into 2nd gear and let her rip, this makes it alot eaiser on the tranny, and usally makes the grinding go away. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Only problem with that, Ender2664, is that while rev matching undoubtedly makes things smoother as far as engine surging, etc, I don't see any problems with grinding while downshifting WITHOUT rev matching, save downshifting into first. If dan850r has to rev match when downshifting to keep from grinding, I think he still has a problem. He shouldn't be having problems with grinding, at least not if my sti's tranny is any example.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Last night I check my tranny fluid level and it was right at the L mark. The car had been sitting for approximately 24 hours. Exactly what do mechanics do when they PDI? I have about 1100kms on my car at this point. My engine oil level was ok, but the oil didn't smell too good. I am almost positive I could smell something along the lines of gas. I will have both checked out. The manual says it should be topped up to the F mark for the MT. The AT (non STi of course) has two checking methods, one for hot oil condition, one for cold. I am curious what differences there are between the two. I guess auto trans fluid and manual gear really differ.

mk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hot and COld on a auto does have a slight difference when hot and cold cause of expansion. But on my auto cars non-subaru I'm too lazy and just make sure its somewhere between the two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dealer's story is BS; call SOA. As for the grind, there is a BIG spread in the ratios between 4-5. If you just grab 4th at relatively high speed, single clutching without reving the motor to synchronize the engine speed with trans speed in the lower gear, you MAY defeat the syncho for 4th gear and get the grind. This phenomenon is not so common with JDM 6 spds. which have shorter 5th and 6th gear ratios.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts