IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and test drove an Sti today!!
sh*t, they are REALLY fast. no kidding
when i was a kid my brother would drive me around in his (built) 66 mustang... and it was fast. but this just blew me away.

Here are my observations, based on my experience of driving my 2001 2.5 RS for the last 3 years and the short test drive of the Sti.

it's fast. no, really.
The interior design and finish is way better than the RS. The instrument cluster is "cool;" the red gauges, the adjustable redline warning system. the DCCD indicator on the dash, etc. very nice. The seats are too wide for my frame, not very supportive. but they are comfortable, the height adjustment is nice also. I was sitting a lot lower and more comfortably than I can in my GC8 RS. this gave the cabin a nicer "feel" to it, it seemed more spacious almost? or more "front and center," I was looking more "at" the road and the instruments than down on them like in my car. The rear wing and the hood scoop do block a lot of the forward and aft views though. the 6 speed was fun to operate, nice, short and mechanical throws, I found myself running quickly all the way to 6th. I test drove a 350Z and 6th gear in that car seemed a little useless, maybe good for cruising at 80mph, but not for tooling around. (by the way, the Sti I drove today was light years faster than the 350Z I test drove). The ride quality in the Sti seemed fine, not harsh at all, less harsh than my RS with kyb's and eibechs. Road noise (tires) was very noticeable, pretty bad in fact. so when they say it's loud, it is. Oh, and conversely, the engine/exhaust was not loud enough! you could hear it purr a little but nothing like I'd hoped. I have the borla headers and a bro-speed catback on my RS, nothing loud, but I was disappointed the Sti's engine/exhaust didn't "vocalize" a little more than it did. The steering seemed fine. I didn't get much chance to "flog it" but it seemed responsive, about the same as my RS's tuned suspension. The breaks seemed kind of disappointing to me though... maybe because the car is significantly heavier than the RS? don't get me wrong, they seemed fine but I guess I was expecting something "fiercer"... I didn't get a chance to panic stop, or really give them a go though...

So yeah, all in all, I'm sold, but I am just very slightly disappointed that it wasn't "exactly" what I was hoping for. My personal preferences will have me spending a little money on some "improvements".... thoughts on that(?) maybe a "livelier" exhaust? not loud, just "livelier"... also, I've read about how the Sti often loses to the EVO in comparison test when it comes to steering and handling. Are there aftermarket "fixes" for the Sti that are effective? The first thing I did on my RS was upgrade the rear sway bar, huge difference. Are there similar upgrades that can benefit the Sti? I've read on here and other forums about the Sti pink lowering springs, etc. I'm wondering if there are people that can share their thoughts that might have a similar perspective as me from owning a GC8 RS.

D. Mikko

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I come from a similar background, I was considering a 350Z and test drove it back in April. I'm suppose to buy it in March, however I test drove the STi in October and was blown away, changed my mind that day and now I'm waiting to get the STi.

The car weighs 3263 lbs, so it may respond differently to braking but it's got Brembos on it, I don't think it gets better than that.

The scoop in the front wasn't that bad, I think it contributes to the attitude of the car, makes it look like a mean BEAST. I do dig the spoiler as well.

As far as modding, I modded my first car (Integra) and I don't plan on modding the STi significantly. Nothing more than a K&N filter, differential protector and a stereo and other little stuff.

Voiding your warrenty is against the law, but the dealer will still give you a hard time, plus I read numerous posts on STi's who misbehaved because of modifications. The car is under-rated at 300 hp, it's slightly higher than that, so I'd just leave it alone.

I also got a ride in the Evo 8 tonight, first time in that car. A little bit more lag, interior not as nice as the STi. It does move though, and sounds good too. The STi got a way better low end, it pulls like a V8. The Evo pulls very nicely, but the power curve isn't as linear....I remember just touching the throttle on the STi and it jumped forward and almost gave me whiplash!

If you want a good comparison, go test drive the Evo, just to get a feel for things.

Take care,

Peleg.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you want some info on upgrading the STi's suspension check out the newest Sport Compact Car, they have their project STi and did some suspension work, air shocks and other stuff got as much as a .98g's goin left in the skid pad test, worth checkin out. I think its the FEB 2004

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
It is with the Praxis Air spring and strut package, it says .98g's but it doesnt say size of skid pad or anyhting so who knows,

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, that article is worth reading but I was more interested to hear how the uprated sway bars effected the vehicle, not so much in the air suspension... it would of been nice for them to do a piece on a more attainable upgrade, like the STi pink springs, sway bar package, etc. something a little more realistic that could inform a broader audience...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts