Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - 10-1-16 New Dyno #'s

:thumbsup:

We really need that emote.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

Finally got around to working on the Karlton Flares, I must say I was very apprehensive making that first hole. After that, easy peasy... point of no return.

Front's turned out looking really nice I think, I will be adding the weather seal to fill some small gaps and protect the remainder of the fender.

This is a 3" extension resting against my rim face currently. I think I have the room I need, lol.

Front Quarter shots:

I trimmed up the rear flares but I need to pick up some more double sided tape for the door trims so I can properly fit the flares. I will hit that later this weekend, possibly tomorrow.

I have some POR15 and panel adhesive ready to go once I start cutting, things rust very quickly out here, not taking any chances!

·
Registered
374 Posts

I'm really not sure what they were, that's why I need to get the EGT gauge installed. I'm sure they were high though.

I agree the .85 hot side will be a boner killer for sure, last resort imo.

There is also the possibility that I'm overthinking this whole thing, and everything is fine and dandy. I'm going to do some logs, see what my actual coolant temps are after a 2-4th pull on the street, and go from there. I appreciate your offer to look at logs, and will surely take you up on that. Maybe you can provide some insight.

I've got a feeling e85/e98 drums are going to be expensive to get here, I might be limited to Torco Accelerator, not sure how I feel about that but I guess we will see.
If you are tuning for auto-x and assuming you never get out of 2nd gear you need to tune that way. a 4th gear pull is cooling everything down nicely, good air through the rad etc... but when you are doing full throttle runs, back to back to back at such slow speeds you are putting your rad through a different scenario. If you are tuning on the dyno you need to do 5 to 6 second gear pulls and tune based on the heatsoaked temps. Also yes, you definitely need a better rad and hood venting because you simply arent going to get the airflow you need.

Seeing as your torque is already dropping just over 4500rpm you can't hurt going to a bigger housing if your tuner finds that you are choking the turbine as it is. If you go e85 you'll need the bigger housing anyways. Spool on the dyno aside you will get better throttle response with the bigger housing (and e85 will give you much better spool anyways) and hopefully you can get that torque to stay until much higher allowing you to have better traction and much better acceleration.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

If you are tuning for auto-x and assuming you never get out of 2nd gear you need to tune that way. a 4th gear pull is cooling everything down nicely, good air through the rad etc... but when you are doing full throttle runs, back to back to back at such slow speeds you are putting your rad through a different scenario. If you are tuning on the dyno you need to do 5 to 6 second gear pulls and tune based on the heatsoaked temps. Also yes, you definitely need a better rad and hood venting because you simply arent going to get the airflow you need.

Seeing as your torque is already dropping just over 4500rpm you can't hurt going to a bigger housing if your tuner finds that you are choking the turbine as it is. If you go e85 you'll need the bigger housing anyways. Spool on the dyno aside you will get better throttle response with the bigger housing (and e85 will give you much better spool anyways) and hopefully you can get that torque to stay until much higher allowing you to have better traction and much better acceleration.
Very good point and you are absolutely correct. To combat any det I might get from heatsoak I'm now running a 100oct Torco Accelerator mix which should keep things happy in the motor. As for cooling, that will have to wait until after the next race. I did for a moment consider going with a larger housing, but I think if I re-tune for the higher octane I will be able to push the turbo a bit more and keep the tq up longer. Either way, I think I'm going to stick with the 6758 with this housing for now as I can get more gains elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I'm never getting E85 out here =(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

So I did a thing and finally bit the bullet and started to cut my fenders today. All in all, I think the flares have turned out pretty good.

My solution for the dog leg that was WAY, and I mean WAAAYYYYY off. Two small pieces of L aluminum. I'm going to replace the self tapping screws with appropriate sized nut + bolt just in case the tire ever decides to touch them, but this works really well. You DO of course see the bolt head on the front of the flare, but it's covered by the door piece 99% of the time anyway. And because RACECAR.

Rear Drivers:

Front View Drivers:

Front View Passengers:

Rear View Passengers:

Marked off my cut, and chopped that bugger. The center of the arc is about 1.5" and the ends of the arc are about 1" from stock fender:

Tape off:

Por15 on, and flare back on:

I have a few questions for anyone with insight regarding the flares;

- What can I do with the fender liner? I really want to keep as much as possible, especially around the CAI area.

- Those of you running big r-comps, did you have to trim any of the front bumper to clear the tire at full lock? I like the look without the front-most trim piece, but will install it if I'm going to rub. Of course I could test fit the tires but they won't be here until Thursday probably and I would like to get as much of this out of the way as possible before they come, not sure how much time I'm going to have between Thursday and Sunday to work on the car.

Fun side note.. This little guy was smart enough to crawl under my trucks hood cowl and hung out for about 20 minutes while I drove into town today, as soon as I parked he popped out and was still there when I came back 30 min later. Crawled back under the cowl and for all I know hes hanging out on the hood again outside!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

RFP1 all the things:

18x10.5 w/ 295/35/18 Continental DW for DD and Rain Race Tires
18x10.5 w/ 295/30/18 Hoosier A7 for Dry Race Tires

The Conti's next to my old Federal 595 225/45/18 on 18x8

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Mounted the wheels and began clearancing, with the amount of caster I'm running the front fender was absolutely an issue.

Ended up taking out 3/4" of the fender, and removing the front half of the fender liner for clearance.
Before:

After:

My rear needs to be lowered a bit I think, also, my dogleg is terrible. I don't know how I'm going to fix that, but it's really just aesthetic for now. Everything clears, so I will address that later.

From the quarters the car looks great though, and I can't wait to race on the hoosiers this weekend ( if it doesn't rain ).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

First autox with the new tires, the difference is unreal. I tried my best to find the limits of grip but I just couldn't, I think more finesse is required. Still, a little over a second off a very well setup GTR in my actual runs... during fun runs I brought that down to .13 off his best time, so I know I can get there. Just need that driver mod.

Also, I'm getting some bounce in tight turns. I'm currently running smaller F/R sways than I intended, and will swap those out for a 27mm Whiteline adjustable front and a 24mm Whiteline adjustable rear.

Also, lower my rear ride height by 1/4-1/2"

All in all, can't believe I'm finally thinking "the car is where I want it to be"... that's not something I thought I would ever say. Seat time now? Yes please.

Vids of my fun-runs, I couldn't get my video stuff to work for real runs unfortunately.

AutoX 10-23-16 Fun Runs - YouTube

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

Residential rehab, property management, and leasing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

Started to install the surge tank setup. -6AN lines to the stock hardlines, should be plenty for the meager 400ish whp I shope for.

This fitting was a PITA!

Spent as much time removing the old and installing the new in this area as I did with the rest of the fuel system:

Looks good in the corner there:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

The TIC X brace makes a massive difference in our cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

Ya, it's a cool piece for sure. Maybe someday if we ever get another road track out here.

Surge tank is in and works like a charm, a side effect is that I can't get below 40psi base fuel pressure now though, even turning down the regulator all the way. I guess there could be worse problems to have...

·
Registered
348 Posts

Your car is looking better and better every time I see it. Gotta see it in person soon so that might mean making an appearance at AutoX lol. Good work, keep it up!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Probably not going to see me at the next one, at least not with this car. In the middle of a tune right now and going to just hold off until Cark gets here on the 16th. I'l probably race the yellow GC next race =)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

Replaced crawford AOS with an IAG Comp unit, added a Radium surge tank w/ Walboro 400, really nothing power based just to take care of some other minor issues.

Red line is me, green line is a stage 2 2013 STI

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - 3-17-17 New Dyno #'s

So it seems all the little modifications have improved the whole, and apparently my driving skills have improved with the car.

Took FTD, PAX, and the SM Class at my local run-off's, these are non-official results and if they change I'l update. I already have a few things lined up for the off-season, really stoked to tinker =)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - 3-17-17 New Dyno #'s

Some off-season bits.. Really looking forward to the steering feel with properly aligned bump steer, and all SM legal =)

Big thanks to Ray Cunningham for manufacturing these awesome bits!

61 - 80 of 99 Posts