IW STi Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been looking to get a set of coilovers, I found a set for alittle over $1,500... The greddy type-s... I didn't see you mention them in this thread, or I might have just missed it... But does anybody have info on these coilovers? Are they worth the money?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have them on mine. The coilovers in general are great. You have 1-32 rebound settings from soft to hard, which is from what I see one of the widest ranges in dampings among the other coilovers. However, I'm facing a lot of problems in the damping remote control unit. Any wiring problems will give errors and will not let you apply any damping settings. Also the electronic motors have less age and will not last for long. If one motor is gone, the whole remote control system is gone !
So better take it without electronic damping.

·
Registered
986 Posts
very nice write up:tup:. I just noticed this was made in 07'. Im curious to know if there are far better products out there that have surpassed the items listed in this thread.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am pretty sure a FEAL Tarmac setup STi struts + RCE Yellows + Group N top hats is a fantastic setup for the average STi commuter part time track warrior :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I was looking for a diagram of suspensions to understand them better, but I came across this and will def. use this when buying new springs and sway bars. Great job I learned alot!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Struts:

For most people, the Ohlins are still the only way to go if you want to keep a strut and spring setup.
Does this still hold true these days? I'm looking for struts to put RCE Blacks on.
I'm sure you all know how impossible it is to find Ohlins... :notsure:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just wanted to add one thing on strut bars that the OP didnt mention and I'm not sure if its been covered on previous pages.

The point of the strut bar is to help with roll, very similar to sway bars now if you got the "ebay" route most likely it is made out of a cheap aluminium and it is hinged at the ends this is a piece of crap and not even worth $5. The hinged ends offer no increase resistance to roll and are compliant under load.

Even expensive brands like Cusco has hinged strut bars which is retarded. What you want to look for is a one piece bar made of a high grade aluminium (5051,T6 etc) and preferably a bar that not just connects to the struts but also another contact point at the firewall. This helps in both bending and torsion.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Wow, I just came back from a long hiatus and see that not only is this still stickied at the top of this section, but it has also been commented on quite a bit since I left the STi scene!

I sold my T2 and RCE equipped 05 back in October of 2009. It was wrecked within a month by the tard that bought it from the dealership. :( I really loved that car.

I got an Evo X GSR which was a nice step up for a DD at the time, but eventually got bored with how easy it was to drive and got an E46 M3 (my dream car) to replace it with. I've now almost completely restored the M3 and my buddy at AREA1320 has given me the STi bug again.

I can't say for sure if I'll be back, but it's on my mind and a possibility. One of the things I'd have to do is to learn about all the new suspension products that came on the market after I left.

In the meantime, I highly suggest anyone with questions to contact Myles at RCE. It's been a few years since I was his customer, but he always surpassed my expectations as a customer and as a source of knowledge.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
293 Posts
Subscribed....What would be recommended for normal spirited daily driving....highway trips and wanting the ability to raise it in the winter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So is there a preferred brand coilovers on here. Im looking for some ideas and I have been between Apex'i, Tein, and BC and would like to get some ideas of what I want through others reviews after using those 3 brands or other. Pro con list would be good. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
any opinion on the whiteline maxg1 for the 2015+ Sti ? I read that spring rates are 6K and 4K and a drop range of 30mm and 60mm according to Whiteline

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

81 - 99 of 99 Posts