IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would a guy go to get the STI branded front strut tower bar for his new STI?

I need it installed as well since I don't trust myself to do it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
japanparts.com is a start

You do realize there is nothing more to installing a strut bar that removing a few nuts and screwing em back down, right? :roll:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I wouldn't expect to see any real improvement from a strut tower bar. Look how close the strut towers are to the firewall. Do you think a tiny little bar will give more stiffness than that whole firewall???

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

CloNeGTS, I’m good at a lot of things, but when it comes to mechanically inclined tasks..... Well, let's just say I pay people to mow my lawn... Besides, it was my understanding from from reading threads on other sites that you had to move the horn and some AC hoses?

I would think that a strut tower bar should tighten up the front end at least a little but more right? I noticed the proximity of the towers to the firewall as well but I guess I still thought there might be some advantage.

I'd love some more feedback from anyone else more experienced than myself....

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Well, if it doesn't do anything, it will still look trick. Do you have the factory alarm upgrade? If not, then the horn is not an issue. As far as the ac lines, go to vividracing.com and go to the project cars under the vr world link. The WRX II has a small instruction section for the strut tower bar install. Good luck.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can use WRX Strut bar for the front but not for the rear.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
olappa said:
strut bars offer considerable improvement on my car.
from the latest issue of Drive in their sidebar about the sti: "The chasis is so stiff that it doesn't need the strut-tower brace used on other performance car."

·
Registered
493 Posts
It may not technically provide any improvements, but some people may feel secure w/ the additional strut bars.
And looks nice too @ the front, and also you could use to hang wet towels- Hehehehehe

That's why I go EBAY and buy a pair for $100 :)
They are cheap, they make me fell better, and can be used as towel hanger.

·
Registered
284 Posts
from the latest issue of Drive in their sidebar about the sti: "The chasis is so stiff that it doesn't need the strut-tower brace used on other performance car."
just try a before and after comparison. youll be surprised.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good investment! You're right about the AC lines and the horn being moved but otherwise the install's not too bad.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i definately notice a difference since my strut brace was installed. handling was alays great but now it's a bit more predictable and much stiffer at high speeds. my two cents.....cusco front strut tower brace 169 installed!

·
Registered
614 Posts
HKS Fcon SZ

FlyingDutchman - there aren't too many EASIER mods to do on your own. I'd liken this to replacing your shift knob - it's about that difficult. On my STi I didn't have to relocate the horn. All that needed to be moved was a bracket near the back of the I/C that holds the refrigerant line (I think that's what it was - LOL). I used the STi CF front strut brace - took me all of 15mins. to install. Just be aware - all six of the strut top nuts CANNOT be tightened over 14.5 ft.lbs. Apparently they're prone to snapping if you over-torque them. It's really an easy mod to do - you can manage it! (edited to make it a CF strut brace....must've had Ti on the brain or something this day - weird)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the sti repleca bars front and rear. Thier is a large difference in driveibilty. The front one tightened up the feel and
the steering wheel wants to find its centerline more.The rear had a similar effect but not as noticeable. All in all good mod.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the sti repleca bars front and rear. Thier is a large difference in driveibilty. The front one tightened up the feel and
the steering wheel wants to find its centerline more.The rear had a similar effect but not as noticeable. All in all good mod.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quick_One

Some people here can fit the WRX Rear fine but I had to trim some metal to get it to fit..

Mine was the Ebay STi pink knock off

Don't know what's wrong w/ mine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
We installed the Rear Carbon Fiber Strut Bar by Cusco, installation went perfectly. Tomorrow it goes into the shop for some performance work.

·
Banned
54 Posts
salaki said:
Quick_One

Some people here can fit the WRX Rear fine but I had to trim some metal to get it to fit..

Mine was the Ebay STi pink knock off

Don't know what's wrong w/ mine.
Thats the one I bought too and it seemed impossible without trimming. Someone else posted that you have to wiggle it around to get it to fit but I didnt even have room to wiggle or anything.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts