IW STi Forum banner

What should I work on next (choose multiples if you'd like)?

• Total voters
461 - 472 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
Re: sti robot project (multi digital guage/meter/logger)-Now with 100% more wiki!!

Fullerton, my long time beta tester, has gone with a full on Defi setup and has generously released his beta test unit back to the community.

So, if you have been following this and would like to test a setup out (for free!!) please PM me (please don't bother Fullerton). I'd really like someone who is interested and somewhat technically inclined. I'd like someone who will post honest feedback, both positive and negative. A programmer would be awesome but not necessary. If you have a current gauge setup (esp. Defi) please tell me as this might actually help your chances.

(Mods, yeah, it's still and open source project, and I'm still not making money on it...in fact I seem to be bleeding money with this project. :lol:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I updated my page at Nitgauge | Nokia N810 & Arduino based in-car dashboard , but unfortunately my arduino chip died when I added Deizin voltage regulator to my car. I was using 12V voltage regulator for the Arduino though. I suggest using 9V or similar. The arduino still worked but was giving connected power OUTPUT through all INPUT pins which resulted in 8-12V on all connected ECU pins and sensors (I connected to O2 sensor and boost) which resulted in totally wrong values on all ECU input devices, fueling was totally messed up, putting so much fuel that my AF gauge never left the end of RICH side. Thank god I found the cause and the ECU survived, I drove 30miles like that...
I need Arduino bluetooth, otherwise its a big headache now :(

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
The beta unit is going to RootUsr on nasioc. Hopefully I'll get him on this thread to comment on the project. He also has lots of embedded systems experience so he should be very helpful.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The beta unit is going to RootUsr on nasioc. Hopefully I'll get him on this thread to comment on the project. He also has lots of embedded systems experience so he should be very helpful.
you said you wanted a programmer, someone with the username "root usr" certainly indicates that you've achieved it... :rofl:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
Don't worry folks. I haven't abandoned this project. Its latest developments have just been taken offline. Once I have a the MKII prototype running in my car I'll start a new thread.

Until then check this out: Liquidware : Touch 'n Go and use your imagination.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
how much did you ended up spending on this ?
Too much.

Figure 3 or 4 arduinos
boatloads of wire
a couple things of solder
one of the small touchscreens mentioned above (soon to be one of their bigger ones)
a bunch of senders
a prototype board of my own ($40)
misc connector parts
lcds + serial backpacks (probably like 5-10)
a couple vdip1 thingies for usb key logging
etc.

1k + probably.

Parts for a my single setup with above touchshield screen ~$300 I guess. For the MKI version with the 2x16 character LCD ~$250 maybe? (and no that's not a price quote it's a guess as to how much I spend on my setup...still open source...still not a vendor)

·
Banned
799 Posts
Too much.

Figure 3 or 4 arduinos
boatloads of wire
a couple things of solder
one of the small touchscreens mentioned above (soon to be one of their bigger ones)
a bunch of senders
a prototype board of my own ($40)
misc connector parts
lcds + serial backpacks (probably like 5-10)
a couple vdip1 thingies for usb key logging
etc.

1k + probably.

Parts for a my single setup with above touchshield screen ~$300 I guess. For the MKI version with the 2x16 character LCD ~$250 maybe? (and no that's not a price quote it's a guess as to how much I spend on my setup...still open source...still not a vendor)
Cool, i was looking on to buying a arduino to make something like what you made but WAY more simple, here is my post on the arduino boards:

Arduino Forum - Automotive G-Force mesurement with arduino?

I am still debating weather i should use arduino (it looks fun and scalable) or just learn to code for the iphone and use the iphone

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
Cool, i was looking on to buying a arduino to make something like what you made but WAY more simple, here is my post on the arduino boards:

Arduino Forum - Automotive G-Force mesurement with arduino?

I am still debating weather i should use arduino (it looks fun and scalable) or just learn to code for the iphone and use the iphone
Read your post over there. BTW I'm not doing any OBD II stuff. It's all off the shelf senders, like the ones you'd use on gauges. The reason for doing this is to monitor the same thing that the gauges would monitor.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
Arduino is an ok platform. I just completed a small SSM/OBD2 project to display ECU data on 2x (2x16) LCD and I will be able to log on an SD card as well...
Sounds great. I'd love to see a thread on it.

461 - 472 of 472 Posts