IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTB: STi Genome exhaust

I am soon going to pick up an STi but the dealership is 90-100 miles away. Although I have had 2 Subarus in the past and they were very reliable I was wondering about the experiences of others with the STi whether this will be a cause of concern. I appreciate your help. I can do most all the maintaince myself but just wonder about those issues that I would have to have the dealer work on. Thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
All I can do is give you my take on it, and I'm sure most people will let you do some searching to come up with a broader base of experiences to draw from (as Radar pointed out).

This is my third Subaru, and I haven't looked back. Reliability has been excellent, and the only maintenance I've had to do has been the usual preventive maintenance. Of the three, there was one recall, and that was due to an O2 sensor that could give faulty readings and cause decreased fuel efficiency. Now, that's my kind of company.

I've owned all sorts of cars prior to this, the most recent (before the Subarus) being a 1996 Ford Contour SE. I don't even want to start counting the number of recalls that car had - many of them to correct things that could cause engine fires, interior fires, loss of vehicle control, etc. I definitely prefer the kind of engineering and reliability I'm seeing with the Subarus. The drivetrain of the STi looks to be pretty bulletproof, including the transmission (the 6MT was developed by Prodrive for racing, then adapted by Subaru, IIRC).

As for maintenance, I'm a believer in the 1000-mile oil change after break-in, then every 3k after that. I do all the oil changes myself, and it's easier on a Subaru than on any other car I've owned. Don't even need to jack the car up or put it on ramps.

As for making it easier, get a Fumoto valve (http://www.fumotovalve.com/). You'll still have to remove the belly-pan under the engine, but the filter is a cinch.

As for filters, make sure that you get the right filter. Do a search for "oil filter STi" or something similar here and on NASIOC, and you should see. You'll probably find some images as well, starring my left arm. In short, there's a difference between the STi-specific oil filter and the standard WRX oil filter. All dealers should have the bulletin by now, and if they don't don't let them do the work on your car unless you have to. The WRX filter has a different concavity than the STi filter, and the STi filter needs to be smaller to allow clearance between it and the exhaust (but don't worry - it actually has a larger filtration surface despite the smaller case).

That should about cover everything. I recommend getting ScotchCal or something similar to protect the paint on the front of your car, and a protective grill for your intercooler scoop would be wise to keep the intercooler from getting damaged.

Last but not least, welcome!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Aha. I knew I had those links around here somewhere on the filters:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=434057

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e9fa077e10eb28f6bcce77e92c7450f0&threadid=2119&highlight=oil+filter

As Jamie ("SubieGal") mentioned in her post, she's relaying information gathered at the parts counter, while the tech bulletin that warns against use of the -060 filter on the STi is meant for technicians. Myself, I'm more concerned with the technical side of it than I am the parts inventory side of things.... :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts