IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an STi and it would be a daily driver as opposed to a weekend toy. I am trying to understand how the engine and tranny are as far as reliability goes. Thanx.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Changing the Shift Boot

welcome to the forum. both the engine and tranny are new to the planet, iirc. however, given subaru's history, i think reliability will be the least of your concern. the sti is my daily driver and speeding tickets are a bigger concern. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
The reality is, even if it isn't your daily driver, you are still going to drive the crap out of it!

I've put 3k miles on mine, and it's only a weekend driver for me, hehehe

·
Registered
17 Posts
i talked to this guy at Irvine Subaru who helped me buy my STi and we were talking about the tranny. The tranny is rock solid. This guy (chuck) told me he personally spoke to an ex-rally racer and subaru had him try to break the tranny. Anything he can do to break it.. from going 60mph to first gear, from 3rd gear to reverse.... This ex-rally racer (forgot his name) said that it was one of the hardest tranny to break.

Subaru also had him shift 4,000 times in one day to check the wear and tear of the gears. The tranny in the STi is verrrrrrry reliable, more than you need, unless you were to take it through the backmountain roads on dirt, jumps, hard excessive driving.. ect.

So no worries with the tranny.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
So far 9k daily driven miles, no problems, no regrets. I love it! This is my 3rd Subaru so I am not worried about reliability at all.

T

·
0 Posts
Over 20,000 kms on mine so far as a daily driver and vacation mobile and not one problem so far.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I put 4000 miles on in 1 trip and the only problem I had was keeping the mud dobbers from making a nest in my hood scoop when it was parked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts