IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I bit the bullet and bought the diode pro fog lights.. I have an Sti ra and my question is which fog light bezels will be to work with the diode fog lights? I’m waiting for subispeed to respond to me via email if they’re fog lights are compatible but I’m wondering if there would be other options other than their jdm bar fog light style ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would assume the factory fog light pieces would work. 57731VA390, 57731VA380. As long as they are supposed to be direct replacement fog lights. Bigger question is how do you plan to wire and activate them, if you are not getting a harness with them. I dont know how these fogs are sold.

If you want I can explain how I made the WRX fog kit from Subaru work. Requires you either splice one wire or source a pin to put in the connector(I couldn't locate a pin but didn't look too hard) and run power and grounds but gives you oem look and functionality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want I can explain how I made the WRX fog kit from Subaru work.
Go on... I’ve been trying to get some info on how I could make the factory standalone fogs, like those for a ‘20 WRX limited, work on my ‘20 STI limited. The easy factory harness workaround only applies to models without integrated turns. And, the ‘18+ models’ fog switch is in the turn signal stalk. Interested to hear what you did. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I have a 2019 sti and I’m thinking of putting fog on them can anyone help me with which ones I should go for, since my sti doesn’t come with fogs. I am also thinking about putting led light to replace my stock headlight bulbs but don’t know if the led bulbs would interfere with the headlights ability to turn when I go to make a turn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, I'll get a write up going on it in the morning at work. It is simple really. All the wiring is in the car except from the fuse box to the fogs. At least it was for my 2018 sti. I assume it is the same for all years since the switch to the led headlights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is simple really. All the wiring is in the car except from the fuse box to the fogs.
That’s what I’m seeing. I have a fog switch/button (from the Subaru kit) on the driver side panel (replaced my blind spot on/off switch on the panel), the already-installed fog wiring connected to that, a Subaru relay on the relay box on passenger side... it’s getting from the relay box to the actual fog units that I’m trying to solve. The harness included with the factory kit is intended for connecting to stand alone turns. No one I’ve talked to (to include 2 dealerships) seems to know how the WRX Limited’s have their wiring set up, which parts to order, etc etc.
Anyway, looking forward to your post. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok well since you have got that far you are like 95% done. Either a t-tap or your favorite crimp connector and heat shrink and you are home free to run the power and grounds.

Pop the hood, and open the fuse box. The fuses are grouped into like 2 sections all clipped in to the box itself. Unclip them and pull them up out of the fuse box. Under the fuse holders clipped to the inside wall of the fuse box are 2 "jumper blocks" for lack of better description. The power from the relay that should be going to the fog lights stops in one of those jumpers. There is no pin in the other side of the connector. So you either splice that wire and run that to the fogs or if someone wants to source the correct pin we could crimp it and put it in the connector. Then all you have to do is run ground wires. I took the harnesses from the WRX kit and cut the fog connectors off and used them to make my own harness. I will get the wiring diagram out and be able to tell you which jumper connector and which wire it is in the morning. I did my fog lights two weeks short of a year ago. So from I can't remember which one's from memory.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got out of bed and dressed to take these photos for you since I know the internet can't stand to be left hanging (or I couldn't sleep, you pick).
Best I could do this late in the 25 degree cold with pj pants, a hoodie, and house shoes. This should give an idea for what you are looking for.

This is the connector under the fuses, the wiring diagram says it is a through joint connector. It is the brown box attached to the inside wall of the fuse box.
If you remove the battery you can actually get the fuses mostly out of the way and reach the connector.

The blue wire with the red wires crimped and heat shrinked to is the power going into the connector you need to splice.
Those red wires are the power for the fog lights. There is a drain hole in the bottom of the fuse box you can run the wires out of.
You can pick up a ground between the battery and the fuse box there is a factory ground wire there already.
Just run them to the fog lights and you are done.

Diagram shows it as C8 in this picture.
The wires do not come out of the connector at B22 or B23. The pins are not there, so you source the pins for that connector or splice the blue wire.

c: B360 is the pin layout

I guess that will conclude my write up for this thread. I will try to make a proper write up in its own thread for anyone that is curious this weekend. Or you can do it Bruno, since you are taking on the project now you have the opportunity to take the pictures. I did it a year ago and never took pics. But I can pull the battery and get better ones if you don't want to mess with it.
Pretty much just use the WRX fog light kit (follow its instructions), buy the correct bezels since the kit came with bezels for fogs and turn signals, and then do this.

Also sorry for stealing this thread, but I think I gave the intended advise for this thread in the first post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@SomeCallMeJoe This is great. I really appreciate you putting that together. Bridging the gap from the factory relay to the fogs was the missing link. I bet this would be very helpful information for many STI owners. Brilliant work amigo.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I paid to have them installed on a switch.. way to complicated for me.. I’ll take pics as soon as I get back from vacation.. they came out awesome though and the diode pro fogs give A LOT of extra light.. I’m very happy.. really annoys me that Subaru did not include fogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts