IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a evo, and best friend owns sti (more of a brother then friend), well of a week we traded rides. I have to say it was nice living wit the sti for a week, but I kinda missed that turbo kick. one thing i notice though is the sti quality of feel and well it's hard to describe when u look at the sti u can see the high quality parts, paint, and such that were used. Then I went to the subaru dealership for oil change and man, the service I got there was really good, almost made me buy a sti. The sti is softer in the corners but i wasen't afarid to push it. But I love my evo for one reason. It's a really fun car to drive and I missed throwing it into corners, whereas I had to take turns in the sti. I'm just wondering what others think of my comparsion. and If it was accurate.

·
Registered
668 Posts
well, paint isn't exactly a subaru strong point... sti is a bit softer, but easily fixible with STi lowering springs if that's what you want. also service varies from one dealer to another, so you're just lucky that you have a nice one around.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Your post expresses most of the reasons I chose the STi over the Evo. A really negative experience at the Mitsubishi dealer and my desire to keep a low profile round out the mix.

I have very little first-hand experience with either marque, but it's hard to believe that Mitsubishi will match Subaru in long term reliability and service. It's great that the Evo gets special attention in production, but I wouldn't be sending it to Japan for service.

I would much rather tweak the STi's suspension than live with Mitsubishi's build quality. I also like the STi's extra bottom end. Having said all of this, there are certainly areas where the Evo outshines the STi in stock trim... but all those things are relatively easy to fix.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ImprezaWRXSTi.Com Logogear For Sale!!

I own and STi and my brother has an EVO. Both cars are awesome and neither would exist without the other. But quality is truly lacking in the EVO. With only 1500k, the EVO's tranny fell apart (shifting from 2 to 3 at high revs made this huge grinding noise). The mitsu dealer had to send some dude from california out to inspect it. They said that this has been happening to a few evos since it's release, so that had to drop in a brand new tranny/clutch and take the busted tranny back to cali to study it. The STi's tranny simply feels a lot tighter and better built. Also, I've had historically bad experiences with mitsu. I used to own a galant VR-4 back in the early 90's. Almost everything needed replacing after only 4 years of hard driving, the clutch, alternator, etc. The STi is the second subaru
I've owned so far and I definitely like the quality and the service better. Plus, FHI has a much friendlier environmental stance as opposed to mitsubishi's alleged deforestation issues in south america. Ok, I hope I didn't offend any evo fans. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but I am just truly passionate about the STi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts