IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had the STi pink lowering springs installed last weekend along with the STi Group N strut tops. I decided to write a little review on my experience with the "pinks" to help some of you guys still in the gray about them or about lowering springs in general.

INSTALLATION DONE BY:
My brother who is a Master Subaru Tech(and an aftermarket parts junkie!)

INITIAL OBSERVATIONS
As I pulled onto a leg of you average city street. I immediately noticed the difference in front end lift as I pulled into traffic. The lift you see the front end do as you accelerate is 90% neutralized with the pinks IMO. It just feels like you are in a better-handling car, no joke. The ride felt A BIT firmer, but more on that later. Probably the most notable observation was when I negotiated through a sequence of 90 degree stoplight turns...almost all of the bodyroll that was present with the stock springs were GONE.

THE RIDE
(Please keep in mind that all the experiences I've documented are not to be taken whole heartedly as some of you have much different driving conditions)
Being that the STi is my daily commuter, I have grown accustomed to the nature of its ride. Bone stock, the ride was, at times, bouncy. Nevertheless, it was pretty firm and confident. However, I did notice that 'floaty' feeling with the stock springs over certain stretches of highway. Combined with some inherent body roll, it could make for a very sloppy-feeling ride, a ride that wouldn't warrant any confidence when taking the STi to the track, IMO. NOW, with the pinks I noticed many improvements over the, for lack of better words, stock and sloppy springs. From the start, I immediately felt the added firmness the springs had, BUT, I'd say it's 15% AT MOST stiffer than the stock springs. Its this firmness that may decieve you and lead you to think that the STi is even more 'bouncy,' however, IMO it's more accurate than anything. Feedback from the road is directly felt, no more 'floaty' feeling. You feel more confident, though it may be a bit stiffer. In my opinion, the ride is almost stock-feeling just without the float and the sporadic bounciness of the stock springs. The STi Group N strut tops also aid in giving you more accurate feedback from the road.

HANDLING
Some of you may already see that your STi has a bit more body roll than you'd expect from the factory. Some of you really could care less, while some of you hate it. I can tell you that the pinks eliminate almost ALL this body roll, PERIOD. Immediately after installing the pinks combined with the Group N strut tops, I noticed that the STi stayed neutral through every corner, every curved onramp, every small, big turn throughout the city where the stocks would exhibit a bit more body roll than I would want. Again, if you're going to be buying the STi pinks lowerings springs, I HIGHLY encourage you to get the STi Group N strut tops at the same time, trust me, this combination pays for itself in handling improvement.

HOW WAS I SOLD?<<plug!>>
Well, the answer to this is two names: Myles Williams. With his great technical support and quick feedback about product inquires(he's on AIM too!) he is THE MAN when it comes to all your STi suspension questions, and I mean ALL of them. From alignment specs to installation questions, he's got your answers. All my current suspension pieces were purchased from him(AIM: RACECOMPENGINEER) and all my FUTURE suspension pieces will be purchased from him as well. May I also add that if you have any genuine STi part you are craving for, Myles can get it...ALL and ANY STi product! From STi s.s. brake lines(yah they make those too!) to STi shift knobs, Myles is your man! With all this said, thank you, Myles. Your service is top notch and is one of a kind. Big things are coming from his operation in Maryland..keep checking out http://www.racecompengineering.com for updates.

thanks for your time guys,
-Matt

My STi currently equipped with STi Pink Lowering Springs, STi Group N strut tops, and STi Spec C front lip...thanks Myles!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
My front strut tops are on the way, will be buying the rears sometime soon. Can't decide whether to get the pinks next or a downpipe. I'm planning on doing one in Feb and one in March - trying to pace myself with the mods. I also have the STi front and rear strut braces. Are you planning on adding strut braces and/or sway bars anytime soon? Just curious as to the difference you feel with those.

What kind of a price did you get on the pinks? japanparts has them for $320, and gruppe-s has them for $360 shipped (although they won't be having any for a few more weeks).

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
wheels

Thanks very much for the review. I'm still thinking in terms of coilovers, but it's starting to sound like Pinks or Eibachs are worthwhile even as a temporary measure.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
sciolist said:
I'm still thinking in terms of coilovers, but it's starting to sound like Pinks or Eibachs are worthwhile even as a temporary measure.
That was my thinking, but then I thought, for me, I need to be realistic and realize I probably won't go further than the pinks. My wife and I have a lot we want to do home-wise, and by the time I replace the wheels, springs, and get a decent stage-1 type kit from someone reputable and reliable, I'll probably be hard pressed to justify more for a long, long time.

I think the pinks sound great, for someone like me who wants more but has to compromise somewhere. :D

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
STillWill, thanks for the review ... If only I had the tools needed for the install ... not willing to plunk down $500 for springs + install right now ... :(

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2005 Legacy GT led mirrors?

I'm glad you guys found the review helpful(I hope!).

Here to answer your questions:

elucas730- I say go with the pinks instead of the downpipe, trust me you will not regret it. You are already getting the STi strut tops together so you might as well complete the package, right? I have the STi-manufactured(not replicas) aluminum front and rear strut braces ordered and awaiting delivery(through Myles, of course) to top off my strut top/spring set up I have right now. After the strut braces, I will go with Cusco front and rear sway bars then end off my suspension phase with the STi pink lateral links and trailing arms. I also have Goodridge S.S. Brake lines just sitting here in my room waiting to be thrown into the mix soon. AFTER THAT, I start the powertrain mods! :D In order to get the best price you possibly can on the STi Pink springs, I say contact Myles at [email protected], AIM: RACECOMPENGINEER, OR (410)-707-0108<--take into account he's in Maryland, time differences, that is, if you have any. Tell him Matt sent you. :wink:

sciolist- no problem about the review, just trying to look out for you guys! Eibachs or Pinks? I say PIIIIIINKS. If you're STILL not happy than you can always upgrade to coilovers, but I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the Pinks! Let me know what you decide on! :D

RadarOnPaws- let me know how everything works out with the Pinks!

STi_Thunder- hey, I watch your back you watch mine! Thanks for the info on your front strut brace, that thing is sweet. I cant wait for mine to come in. Yah I guess I lucked out on the whole brother Subie Tech thing :-? Keep me posted on your car!

Thanks guys,
-Matt

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Gone and done

stiperformance said:
Are the STi Group N strut tops adjustable? It don't look like they are. Would adjustable ones be worthwhile getting?
No the STi Group N strut tops are not adjustable. They are just like the stock strut mounts but they use a much stiffer rubber. Unless you know what you're doing, I don't think adjustable strut tops would be worth getting.

-Matt

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just confirming what STillwill is saying about the "PINKS" and hardened mounts: he's not just being giddy about a new mod - they truly rock.

Youre very right (and lucky) to have gotten them together. I got the Pinks first, then the strut tops later. I wouldnt have it any other way. Theyre like one unit. and the car is too.

My only suggestion (.02$) is to install the strut bars BEFORE the swaybars. They'll make a noticeable improvement on handling and stability. Im not suggesting that you dont get the swaybars at all, just that you wait and see how your car handles at that point. You might find that you dont need to upgrade the swaybars at all. Personally, im happy with how my cars suspension is up to this point - but in the end its all about personal driving style and what you want to do with your car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
im ordering the pinks and the strut tops. now i need to research how to install, might just pay to have it done??

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey STillWILL, do oyu mind telling how much the springs were I ordered some but they are on back order if the price is right I might buy from Myles..Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
olappa said:
Youre very right (and lucky) to have gotten them together. I got the Pinks first, then the strut tops later. I wouldnt have it any other way. Theyre like one unit. and the car is too.
What is involved with installing the strut mounts? Do you have to get another alignment?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If you're STILL not happy than you can always upgrade to coilovers, but I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the Pinks! Let me know what you decide on!
My plan has been to do a track day completely stock as a baseline, so I could really feel out the OEM setup. I can't go to the track until June though. As I grow into the STi it's obvious that a good set of springs is going to make a major difference - I have absolutely no doubt of that. For someone interested in improving the car's overall performance I doubt ~$500 could be better spent.

Having said all of this, I still can't believe that coilovers wouldn't also earn their keep. I'm no big racing maven, but I do plan to run the car up at PIR recreationally. Also (and this is a big also) IMO a car's basic physical posture contributes a LOT to the pure visceral enjoyment of the driving experience. Sort of like having a body with lots of atheletic fitness: It's great to be able to push your limits, but it's also fun just to walk down the street feeling really snappy. It's wonderful just to be alive in a state of high fitness. I chose the STi over the Evo and S2000 with this in mind.

There is also the issue of height adjustment which is important to me because I want this car to be able to fill 95% of my driving desires. This is not something 'to be tolerated' it's something that actually endears me to the car. It's one of the main reasons I didn't go the FI S2000 route.

My problem is becoming that it's going to be hard to hold out until June without making such an obviuos upgrade, even if temporary. It's also going to be hard to justify 'wasting' a track day with the stock springs. What I may do is get a set of springs and then bum a ride with someone in a more heavily modded STi later in the year. That way I can compare the 'pink' setup to a more extensive one. I am absolutely sure that the stock springs are a major weakness/opportunity. I also suspect that the stock dampers are valved for the pinks, and that Sube swapped in limp springs for the American market because they think we're all used to Caddies.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
sciolist,

I think you are on the right path overall.

I believe that, after all said and done, the Pinks with Group-N strut tops provide a very nice entry-level handling performance at a very cost-effective level. That is the primary reason, both units are part of the S2 package we will be releasing very short amongst other nice pieces that complement the overall setup :)

Having said that however, some people miss or do not fully understand the benefits of the adjustable coilovers. First, the ride height adjustment. It is not something to be used to lower and raise the car per road conditions, I do not think they are that convinient to change. The primary purpose is to be able to coner weight balance the vehicle. You cannot imagine how much of a difference a properly weight balanced car makes in terms of handling, it can truly suprise you. Once the vehicle is balanced at a certain desired ride height, it should not be touched unless the venue changes from track driving to rallying. Which, most coilovers will not be suitable for rallying and tracking at the same time, or will be quite expensive.

Second, many also overlook the benefits of bump/rebound adjustability. Proper front and rear adjustments per track event, autocross or street can truly create wonders in terms of handling and ride comfort. It should be used delicately and methodologically. Unfortunately, some people I have seen, they tend to adjust it to lowest during street driving and bump it up to stiffest during tracks; like using only two settings while there are 15 front and 15 rear ones; which would make about 225 possible combinations :) In reality, we truly get about 7 to 12 track and another 10-15 different combinations for street. That is still a lot of different possible ways to setup the vehicle. IMHO if one wants to enjoy the vehicle on the street and track and autocross at the same time at 95% level; they will eventually come to appreciate the flexibilities and advantages of coilovers :)

However, I also believe that everyone has to go through the natural progression. Baby steps are always more fruitfull and generate better learning and experience.

My 2 cents...

Give me early warning please, and I'll put the flame suite on :D

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Give me early warning please, and I'll put the flame suite on
No need to put the flame suit on FT, but I will give you an early warning:

I think we are of one mind on the coilover issue. I grew up in MD, and I'm hoping to drive the STi out this summer to visit my folks, who still live there. I'm also hoping I can hit you up for a ride in your STi, which by then should be built to about where I plan to go. If I do just the pinks on mine we'll have both cars for a back-to-back comparison. I'll also have one track day under my belt with the pinks, which will help.

Paul

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
sciolist said:
Give me early warning please, and I'll put the flame suite on
No need to put the flame suit on FT, but I will give you an early warning:

I think we are of one mind on the coilover issue. I grew up in MD, and I'm hoping to drive the STi out this summer to visit my folks, who still live there. I'm also hoping I can hit you up for a ride in your STi, which by then should be built to about where I plan to go. If I do just the pinks on mine we'll have both cars for a back-to-back comparison. I'll also have one track day under my belt with the pinks, which will help.

Paul
You got yourself a deal, would love to :) Give me a hauler when ever you want.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Silversatin said:
Hey STillWILL, do oyu mind telling how much the springs were I ordered some but they are on back order if the price is right I might buy from Myles..Thanks
Silversatin- I bought mine from Myles for under $400 out the door. Best thing to do would be to e-mail him or IM him though for the best deal.

-Matt

·
Registered
68 Posts
how are the strut tops different. i know we have sti strut tops because of the part number, but is the group n tops different?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ashumo said:
how are the strut tops different. i know we have sti strut tops because of the part number, but is the group n tops different?
ashumo

Yes, they are different. The STi Group N strut tops have a stiffer rubber than the stock STi strut tops. The added stiffness of these strut tops translates to a better-performing strut. With the stock strut tops, the strut had to compensate for both the addded 'flex' of the weaker rubber as well as damping the road. Now with the STi Group N strut tops, the strut has more of a solid base to mount onto so that the strut SOLELY focuses on damping road conditions, which is what it was supposed to be doing in the first place.

hope this helps,
-Matt

1 - 20 of 30 Posts