IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my Blue Sti yesterday. When I pulled into the dealership another blue Sti was there as well. He figures his was the 2nd one in Calgary. Just came by for a visit. The guess is there are about 12 Sti's in Calgary. Let me know if you have one and the colour.

:D

·
Registered
359 Posts
WELCOME TO THE FORUM... make yourself at home... but don't put your feet up :lol:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just dropped a deposit on a black one that I am heading to edmonton to get. ETA is 3-5 weeks. :D

Unfortunately I just bought my 03 WRX end of march, and only put 7500 kms on it, so that will be alot of money wasted. Dealer said they would only give me 28k for it :cry:

If anyone is in the market for a blue 03 WRX, do let me know :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome, Googe.

The tough part is waiting for your Sti and then trying to keep the revs down during breakin.

Thankfully, I'm past that now.

You'll love it!!!
:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Haha, Im sure it will be hard to keep my foot lighter.

So motorhead, is your STi experiencing any of this pinging problem that most of these seem to be plagued with? Finding higher than 91 octane can be tricky around here, Id hate to have to drive to the complete opposite end of the city to mohawks 94 station every time I need to fill up :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked my Sti up at the beginning of August. I have had no pinging so far. I am assuming either Subaru has fixed the problem with the latest batch or I am just lucky.

Also, I am lucky enough to live in the south end so it is not too far to the Mohawk to get the good stuff. I have used Esso 91 when when It isn't convenient to get 94 and have not had any problems. Man, this thing goes thru the gas. It could be just my driving though.

I also live close to Race City!!! :D Do you plan to race your Sti at all? I went to a recent autoX and saw a blue Sti like mine fare quite well. It looked to be one of the faster cars. Of course driver skill has something to do with it.

I am just rambling now. I better stop.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good to hear that yours isnt having pinging problems. I have asked a couple other STi owners around if they have, and they claim they werent having any pinging. If our later production cars do have the reflash, I hope there is no power loss. I have been watching the threads that talk about this pretty closely, no one has conclusive test results yet.

I think Id be up for the occasional race, itd be a shame to put all this potential to waste :) I have never driven in any race events like auto-x or even 1/4 mile though, maybe Ill check out some of those classes. Either that or just screw around till I get the hang of things :)

Have you been watching Dan Godspeed's STi tuning progress? He's making some really good numbers. I wouldnt mind getting his work done on mine sometime in the future. 10k USD is alot to waste, though. I'll see how his tranny and engine hold up after forcing that kind of power through it before I start saving any money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey fellow Calgarians!

I picked up my silver/silver STi on June 30 - no pinging problems at all. The first couple of fills were on 91, then Ken Reich from this forum said something about 94 available at Mohawk. I've been filling it up there on 94 ever since. I have had to fill it up again on 91 a couple of times when it wasn't convenient to drive all the way over to Mohawk - its not huge, but I think the 94 makes a bit of a difference. But no probs on 91 either.

Man I hear you guys though - it was sure hard to keep the revs down on this baby through break in. It was fun though, but now that I can let it loose once in a while its even better. Motorhead, mine really goes through fuel also, and I drive it fairly conservitavely most of the time. All that power, combined with AWD eats fuel quite quickly unfortunately. But we didn't buy this car for fuel economy, right??

I doubt I'll ever get into racing mine, but the day I picked it up my sales guy told me I should get down to race city that day if I could because one of his customers was racing his blue STi. I was too busy admiring my car once I got home so I didn't make it to Race City, but I'm sure there will be others racing their cars.

My wife and I are trying to sell our car right now actually - I really love it, but unfortunately my wife doesn't think its very functional for us. No bites yet, but it hasn't been advertised for that long. Pity if it doesn't sell though, really hehe. Any idea how much it would cost for a set of winter wheels and tires? So thats all from me for now - maybe we could all get together one day if you guys have time. See ya.

Wayne

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
S- AFC 2

Hey FlyFisher,

I saw your "For Sale" post on a different forum. It'd be a shame to let it go! It took me a while to talk my wife into it. I had to sell my 68 GTX so we had the room for the Sti. But it was worth it. It is just as fast if not faster than my GTX and now I have the fun of carving corners as well.

Have you let her drive it yet? I think my wife likes driving it as much as i do.

It'd be cool to get together. One Sti draws a lot of looks. A group of Sti's would draw quite a bit of attention.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMW M3 CSL v. Porsche 911 GT3 v. WRX STi Spec. C

I haven't raced anything (except maybe go-carts)since I was in my teens when we raced Moto-X.

After seeing the auto X, it looks like a blast. There are cars ranging from a AMC Eagle(not your typical autoX machine) to a 911 turbo. All ranges of skill level as well. It was a shame to see the 911 driven in such a leisurely manner. It should have been one of the fastest.

Anyways, I believe there is one more event @ Race City for the year. I may enter. I'll let you know how it goes. You guys should show up as well!! Check the Calgary Sports Car Club site for details.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Googe,

Yah I have been one of the thousands hanging on Gods every word. Impressive gains from some simple mods which is encouraging.

But @ 10k he's going beyond my immediate budget.

I'm going to start with some performance winter/all season tires. Any recommendations? Who the hell knows what to get with the crazy weather we get! We could go most of the winter with no snow. Now they're predicting 10 cm tonight. Time to get serious about looking.

Here's my immediate wish list.

Valentine V1
Defi pod with blackout guages
TurboXS TB exhaust using stock muffler
UTEK when it is available
Manual boost controller
Blitz intake

Tein coilovers(maybe, I am waiting to here reviews from others first)
Larger rear swaybar.
Do something about the ugly simulated metal steering wheel cover. Black would have looked so much better.

How about you guys? Any mods in your future. I guess FlyFisher has got to decide if he's keeping the car first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Motorhead - thanks for the reply! Yes, it will definitely be a shame to have to sell this car. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't know how to drive on a manual transmission yet. I have been trying to teach her, but to no avail. She gets frustrated and gives up to easy. I can't force her to learn how, and if she won't learn then it kind of nullifies the point of having two vehicles.

But, I still have it for the time being so maybe we could all have a meet sometime soon. How is this Saturday for everyone?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Heh, you guys are making me impatient, my STi isnt in for about another month. :) Its too bad you have to sell yours so soon, Flyfisher. Seems alot of people are not getting approval from their significant others on the practicality of the car. Im still pretty young and have no family obligations for a while yet, so Im going to indulge while I can :D

Heading up to Edmonton this weekend though, checking out the sport compact challenge events. Should be fun.

Nice wish list Motorhead. I agree with 10k being a little up there. Although, for 600 horse at the wheels, it doesnt seem like that big a price. I just dont know if I have any faith in the transmission taking that much power. A guy I work with referred me to his friends shop in Red deer, he seems to have some prices that are alot better than a few items Dan has. Check out http://www.diabloperformance.com/diablo.html
[not much on the site right now, I saw the one under development, it will be far better]

Just out of curiosity, why the sway bar? Do you find the stock one isnt as good as it could be? I was thinking of putting most of my money into power mods, as I expect the STi to have great suspension and brakes to begin with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hehe googe - well, I'm still young too but I guess I should have gone for something both of us can enjoy instead of just me. Ah well - maybe in a few years I'll get another one.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order yours from and what color? Seriously googe, if you're at all interested in saving some money please come and take a look at mine. I don't even have 2700 kms on it yet - I also got the 3M protective film, silver graduated window tint, and centre armrest extension - and its silver/silver. Honest to God, it still has the new smell inside, thats how little I've driven it. Its totally what you decide, but I can for sure save you some coin over brand new - which my car pretty much is. See ya.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey FlyFisher,

Truth be told, Id probably take yours without hesitation, but I really like the look of the black ones. Black/silver looks so nice on that car. I ordered one from Subaru City in edmonton. I Would have got one locally, but the 2 dealers here in calgary said I would be looking at Jan/Feb before my car came in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
255/40 kumho VR 700's fit!

Hey man, no worries. Black/silver does look awesome - I have seen one black one around, actually just down the street from me in Somerset. It has gold wheels though - silver would look way better IMO. Good luck with yours. If only I could figure out who is on the waiting list in Calgary....

See ya around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FlyFisher said:
Hey Motorhead - thanks for the reply! Yes, it will definitely be a shame to have to sell this car. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't know how to drive on a manual transmission yet. I have been trying to teach her, but to no avail. She gets frustrated and gives up to easy. I can't force her to learn how, and if she won't learn then it kind of nullifies the point of having two vehicles.

But, I still have it for the time being so maybe we could all have a meet sometime soon. How is this Saturday for everyone?
You're treading in dangerous territory, giving driving lessons to your wife. You may want to see if she would take some lessons from a driving school of some sort. Unless you have a lot more patience than I do. :lol:

I can't make it this Saturday as I have plans with my family. Maybe next week. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
googe said:
Nice wish list Motorhead. I agree with 10k being a little up there. Although, for 600 horse at the wheels, it doesnt seem like that big a price. I just dont know if I have any faith in the transmission taking that much power. A guy I work with referred me to his friends shop in Red deer, he seems to have some prices that are alot better than a few items Dan has. Check out http://www.diabloperformance.com/diablo.html
[not much on the site right now, I saw the one under development, it will be far better]

Just out of curiosity, why the sway bar? Do you find the stock one isnt as good as it could be? I was thinking of putting most of my money into power mods, as I expect the STi to have great suspension and brakes to begin with.
Googe,

If he makes 600 hp then 10k would be a bargain. I may be in line for that.
I hear a lot of conflicting info on the tranny. Don't know who to believe. We'll just have to wait and see.

I am also going to mainly start with power mods as well. I think I'll wait over the winter to see what develops for parts as there should be a lot more choices by next spring.

The swaybar was just an afterthought. A stiffer rear swaybar will usually give you more oversteer. Most cars from the factory have more of a progressive understeer built in. I think they are trying to protect us from ourselves :D . The suspension mods will depend on how obsesssive I get about auto-X etc. I really need to learn the limits of this car before tinkering. It's pretty hard to push the limits on the streets.

Try the on/off ramps @ deerfoot and glenmore. All the interchanges should be that much fun. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts