IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am in a hole.

Just out of college with a job. Going pretty well but living in MN which takes out like 50% of my dang salary in taxes.

But I need a nice AWD car for all that dang snow and ice.

Looking at STi but will cost me 33k which is with tax. Stretching income to make payments each month.

Also looking at 2001 S4 with about 30k miles on it. Get one for about 20k
Can cover payments pretty easy

Now I know I have to spend least 5k to get the S4 to STi handling and Speed but I can save up over time to do this.

I know a lot of you STi owners are wise old men but young at heart. What would you do?

·
Registered
236 Posts
hm... 3 weeks ago, I can tell you that it's a tough choice... but now... :evil: I definitly say STi...

cause I race an Audi S4, pretty much all the goodies, Stage 4 tunning, dynoed at 480hp to the wheels with Garret T28, full coilover, no interior, full frame support, etc etc... spend over 10G
He was with R-compound tires, I was on RE070, he was really strong, but I still kept up to him on a road course! and I tell you, it's not the driver, cause he a regular autoX driver for years!

I gotta say, you gotta really put the STi to know how high the limit is!
So, after that, I can say I made the right choice..

The DCCD is just awesome, you won't believe it...

·
Registered
105 Posts
@250Km/hr?

Go with the used S4. It sounds like you can afford it better. The last thing you want to do when you are young and just out of school is lash yourself down with too much debt.

Save your extra money, buy a house and earn some equity instead. An Audi S4 is a very nice car and a lot better than most people drive out of college.

Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
deneed4spd said:
Ok I am in a hole.

Just out of college with a job. Going pretty well but living in MN which takes out like 50% of my dang salary in taxes.

Looking at STi but will cost me 33k which is with tax. Stretching income to make payments each month.

Now I know I have to spend least 5k to get the S4 to STi handling and Speed but I can save up over time to do this.

I know a lot of you STi owners are wise old men but young at heart. What would you do?
C'mon man this isn't the about the AWD otherwise you could just go for one of the remaining '03 2.5rs imprezas and get the most bang for you buck.

If you're looking at an STi then what you really want to do is to go fast. No need to beat around the bush.

If you want to go fast take the friggin STi cause it'll smoke an 01 S4 any day of the week... :D

If you want to drive a heavy luxury car that completely underperforms for the powerplant it has but also looks drop dead sexy... Go for the Audi.

8)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Official Prodrive website for the Active Shocks

The Audi is NOT cheap in the long run. I have an S6 and i can tell you that every time it's in for service, i know i'm in for a bill. Everything on the Audi seems like its 50% more money. Heck, they wanted $285 for a tail light lense! Half of the speedo backlight died a few months back. Take it in figuring it was a bulb or something. Service writer calls me back and tells me $1000 to fix! Uff!! Now we just drive it around with half the speedo lit.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Re: Drive by cruise control ?

I traded my 2002 S4 in for an STi and everyday that goes by I am happier with my decision.

But that is just me. There are plenty who would prefer the luxury appointments and ride of the S4.

-N

·
Registered
99 Posts
I own both, 2001 S4 and a STi. I am finally going to sell my S4, because I don't drive it much anymore. However, it is a quick and fun to drive car, and oh-so-comfortable!

You can't go wrong with either car, if you want a nicer car, go with the Audi. If you like to throw your car around and have a blast, the sti is a better choice.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I owned a nagano blue S4 for a few months roundabouts 4 years ago and i was dissapointed with it. It was a good car but just not sporting enough for me. Was slower than i wanted, weighed too much, had underachieving brakes and don't get me started on the longest throwing stick shift ever. There were zip codes between that gearbox's shifts. The E36 M3 was a much better car. But the STI blows it outta the water in every category cept luxury of course(and looks...S4 is a great looking car). Screw luxury though...we're in our 20's we don't need friggin luxury. :wink: Peace!!

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
if i had it to do all over again i would have never bought the S4. it is prone to problems which are amplified or increased as soon as you start modifying it. even the suspension components will have a shorter life as soon as you upgrade to a coilover or stiffer setup.

i don't want to bore you with the long list of out of pocket expense that covered everything from coolant pumps to MAFs that i had to deal with. needless to say i was so frustrated with the S4 that i got rid of it within a day and a half of driving a WRX!

like the gentleman mentioned, you will get owned on the street or track if you're in the S4. e-specially if it's stock.

in comparison i owned two different 300ZX's prior to the S4, they were heavily modified and i never had problems with them. thus the move for me back to Japanese reliability and build quality seemed natural. furthermore the S4's KO3 turbos are a time bomb. even after improvements to the cooling lines by Audi they still can blow up.

the S4 may be cheaper up front, but it will cost you big time later.

and regardless of AWD capabilities you still will need a set of M+S or full snows for the winter on the S4.

my advice, having bought high perfromance cars since college myself? get a reliable beater, old honda accord or toyota that will cost you pennies to keep running and save up for the STi.

i don't miss the luxury of the Audi (just the looks). and my STi is not a daily driver. i'm in my thirties too.

stay away from the Audis. they are engineered for perfection, not long term reliability or low cost to keep oprating.

she was a looker though...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
deneed4spd said:
Ok I am in a hole.

The 2001 S4 is a gamble. I assume you would have about 2 years left on the warranty? Or would it be only 1? That is something to consider because the extended warranties on that car that cover the turbos are $2500+. I traded my 2000 A6 2.7T with 40k miles for my STi. The Audi was nothing but problems. Some that come to mind:

Coolant temp sender
MAF (although the 2001s have Hitachi units that don't fail as often)
Diverter valves (they are rubber diaphrams that rip)
Blower motor for climate control
Stock head unit had to be replaced, CD player stopped working. (I had to wait over a month for the replacement)
window lock switch failed/replaced
oil leak from cam tensioner gasket - required replacing the gaskets on both sides of the engine as well as the valve cover gaskets. About 6-8 hours of labor I believe.
Bad headlight leveling motor.
Trip display had random lines in it (occured right before trade-in)
02 sensor was going bad when I traded it.
I'm forgetting a lot too, this is just what comes to mind in a couple of seconds.

The other problem is that you often have to diagnose a lot of these issues yourself as the stock computer is really only concerned with emissions. If you start to modify the engine (which it appears you are interested in doing), all bets are off. The diverter valves might fail, the throttle body boot needs to be replaced, some have blown (or have leaks) the ICs because they have plastic end tanks.

MANY blow the turbos when chipped, some even on stock cars. No one really knows what the issue is either. Most failures look like foreign object damage which doesn't really make sense if you look at the intake design.

I'm also not sure if you will be working on your own car, but the S4 can be a nightmare. Typical quotes for dealers on labor for the turbo replacement is $7,000. The engine needs to be removed from the car to do the swap.

So to summarize, it's a gamble. You could have a rock solid S4 that is a lot of fun. Or you could have what TRM and I had: annoyingly unreliable cars that sucked the joy out of ownership and ultimately led us to the dark side ; )

-st

·
Registered
668 Posts
Anybody know how to decode STi Vin#'s ?

if you want decent performance for the right price, go for a WRX. It's nice to have the extra power of a STi, but practically speeking, the WRX could still be more fun than the S4 and has plenty of tuning potential in the long run. Plus, I somehow would feel bad whipping my STi in the snow, but would take a WRX all the way without a regret. :) maybe even just get a used wrx beater then when you get more money you can go all the way.

but if you're set on getting a high performance awd.. .then STi, superior to Audi except in sexiness and luxury, but who needs that stuff when you're young?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Remember who builds the Audi, it is basically an expensive VW. I can tell you this, my two VW's I have owned have sucked and been plagued with problems.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Wow TRM, this is a very nice house. how much does it cost now? and what state?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts