IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud to be a Canadian?!?

i'm new to this forum but, i'am a big evo fan, but recently when i was going to pick up my evo, i saw a blue sti wit sliver rims and was like oh my god, it looked soo good, i'm so confused again, i just want to know what some of u like about ur sti's and why u picked it over the evo. I know this is a sti forum but please no biased replies. I really love the interior of the sti compared to the evo, and i could care less about subaru breaking the 2.0L rule of the WRC, even though iam a real big fan, and stay up late nights watching it. i know the sti understeer's more, but really, will any of that really show up unless pushed to the limit, i'm looking for a fun car to drive, as a daily driver, i mean i'm no peter soleberg, but i can drive fairly well, and may head out to the track sometimes, and what about mods, i don't really have any planned engine wise, how is subaru in dealing wit warrenty, i know mitsu is being a real ass about it, and one guy even complained about bein watched at the track and then denied warrenty claims., anyway, i'm really liking the sti, and just want to hear from owners, the ups and downs, the goods, and bads, of owning a sti, also, i really wanted a sunroof, but i guess i can live without it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ive had my Sti for about 3 weeks now. I had almost bought an Evo 2 times after 3 visits to the Mitsu dealer. Why did I not buy an Evo?

I was able to test drive the Evo 2 times. Not much but it was enough. I found the car blistering fast with great handling. Very Go-cart feeling. The problem with this is that it had severe turbo lag. Up to 3K RPM there was absolutely nothing, then at 3K it all hell broke loose. I felt like the steering felt very mechanical. When your driving at very slow speeds like 5 mph, the steering felt like it was being "jerked" by a machine.. I immediately hated that feeling. All in all, I was ready to buy the car after this. The performance is just there...

The 3rd time I went to the dealer I might have bought it but they parked the yellow Evo right next to a yellow lancer with a $13K sticker on it. Big mistake. I decided to think differently and looked at the car over once again. I opened up everything and looked under everything. The $30K Evo was exactly the same as the $13K lancer in EVERY single way except the few obvious performance looking items on the car. Its just dirt cheap. Everything is. I picked at the weather stripping and I swear it poped off. It was at that point that I told the dealer that I had been working with that I was not interested and walked out and never returned.

1 month later the Sti came out and the dealer called me up so I went to look at it.

I walked in and I was in love. Just the quality of build from the outside said “This might be worth $30K”. When I looked at the interior.. I was sold. The problem was that they were not wanting to sell it to me, asking $10K over msrp. I waited 3 months, talked them down form 10K to 8K to 5K to 3K to 1K then finally msrp.

Im used to my Acura Luxury and Honda reliability and this car struck me as being a very high quality car.

While I ranked the EVO in the realm of subcompact cars in the quality range of a Geo Metro. I rank the Sit in the quality range of an Acura Integra or RsX (non-leather).

The performance of the Evo would have been nice for 3 months but then the quality would just eat me alive. The Sti is a bit faster but they say it handles a bit less.. that’s an even trade… But I can live with the Sti after the performance high wore off.

Also, the Evo is having a lot of problems right now. Reports of lots of tranny and clutch problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, the Evo is having a lot of problems right now. Reports of lots of tranny and clutch problems.
Simply not true. Don't think that because there a some people on an Evo board reporting problems that it is inherent in most Evo's. I know of 7 Evo's in my area...most of them modified..that have no clutch or tranny problems.
There are more inherent Sti problems that really affect alot of STi's such as detonation and running extremely hot (if you put on an aftermarket exhaust). The new Modified Mag states that their project STi "runs hotter than a hooker on payday"
They are replacing the factory radiator with a Fuidyne to try and help the heat problem. Just look on nasioc.com at the people melting their bumpers :(

It's all personal preference though. :D

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Driving technique

I have no detonation and most I know that have an STi don't have it so the same goes for the STi. Running hot??? :-? I have not heard of that being a problem. The melting bumper is from after market exhaust.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have not had detonation problems (4 weeks in to it, 2K mi.), but some had; similar to Evo clutch issues :) In terms of running hot, yest it does run hot, but within "normal" limits. Radiator heat stays normal, and oil temp does not exceed 100 F, which is normal.

I have not heard these excessively hot rumors, I would appreciate a link to check out the issues.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
All Subaru's run hot. Nothing new there. And when we say hot....we mean the overall temperature. I pop the hood to my car after driving around, and it is DAMN hot under the hood. Almost too hot to touch the prop rod. This is completely stock....and the temp gauge shows very normal operation.

And yeah...show me any poly bumper that doesn't melt from having exhaust gas blown at it. :roll:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, u guys are right about one thing, after the perforance high is gone, u are left wit the car u pick, i agree that the sti interior is nicer, but i just want to know, if the seats will hold u in place during hard corners and such???, also, the gold wheels, not my thing, although on white they look great real JDM, anyway, i'm still looking, another problem that car and driver conplained about was the hood scoop and wing flapping at speed, is that true, and if so, is it really that noticeable??

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Choice of gold or silver wheels. . . . (can be aftermarket, too)

Seats can always be replaced by Sparcos (like I'm going to do)

FMIC and Impreza hood, with Impreza trunk and different spoiler can also be done.

:D

Not to sound like a smart*** but none of those things are really inherent to the car, itself. Just little quirks to the STi moniker.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I came right out of a type R integra into the STI so I'm not new to high perf stiff cars. The main two things I wanted in my new car were that it was faster and more driveable on a daily basis (even tho I drive a CRX to work - lol). I loved the handling in the R, and I'm sure it's awesome in the EVO too - the STi is plenty good for me and I think it'll be a rare situation where you actually take it to the limit. The hood and wing do flap a little bit on the STi, but you get used to it in about a day, and it really isn't that bad.

What it came down to for me was having the best overall car, and I think it's the STI. As someone said, the performance aspect will wear off a little bit down the road and you'd better enjoy the rest of the car, including interior quality, driveability, price of ownership, etc. Hope that helps

It's sort of like getting married .. ha ha

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
^^^ good words...
STI is better daily driver, power powerful.
EVO - shaper handling AT THE LIMITS, not nearly as refined and suspension will be rougher..

·
Registered
536 Posts
ECU Flash

I myself was very close to buying an EVO, but ended up getting an STi, and let me tell you I am very happy I did. Here, just sit back and relax and I'll convince you to do the same. That is, if you already haven't:) One thing we have to understand is that these cars were never trying to have luxurious interiors (although the STi is close). These two cars are all about driving exprerience. I used to have a base WRX and that interior felt really cheap and became very boring eventually. I must say though the STi interior may not be that different, yet it has a much better feel about it (gauges would make some Ferraris envious). The EVO interior is very econobox, but the Recaros feel great and in my opinion are better than the STi seats. But, we're not buying these for seats and gauges, are we? Hell no. We buy these cars cause they are the pinnacle of Japanese performance in this country. Plus I cant get enough of that look I get after I tell people it's a 300 hp 4 cyl.
I was able to test drive both cars before I made my decision, I drove the EVO first and was pretty much sold right away. The EVO in person is pretty damn cool, that front mount intercooler just kicks ass and the carbon fiber wing is smokin'. Like it has been said before, the EVO drives like a Go-Kart; ninja-like reflexes. The EVO's high points are its suspension and steering. Heres a good example, most cars on the road require three full rotations of the steering wheel to reach wheel lock, the EVOs needs only two. So, the EVO is definetely cool, but.....The STi is truly a performance beast. Between the two cars, the STi will be the one that will be worth more in 30 years. Pound for pound it is just a much better car. To me it feels like a completely refined WRX. Every little kink that bothered me in the WRX has been worked out or changed in the STi. I mean the WRX is just the watered-down version of this car. Plus this is the fastest STi ever built in it's 9 year lifespan. And all those purists that are freaking out about this '2.5 litre aint the real thing' need to shut up and look back 25 years when people raced 600hp 3.6 litre rally cars.
So, the thing is a street legal race car. It accelerates like someone shoved a hot poker in its ass. I really recommend this car to anyone who enjoys blowing away Carreras, Boxsters, Mustangs, Camaros, 350Zs, EvO's, etc. Hell I could go on and on. The STi is truly one of the fastest cars on the road and on the track, that is unless you want to spend 60 grand on an m3 or 100 on a porsche turbo, get the STi, she's the next best thing.

Drive Safe

M

·
0 Posts
I drove the Evo once, and then I rode in the STi once, and it was no question which i would buy, :) I am extremely happy with this car, I love it.

But again it comes down to personal choice, you aren't going to be unhappy with either car, unless your current ride is $50k+

·
Registered
983 Posts
I considered buying the evo for a short moment of time. but after seeing my friend's evo i changed my mind. the interior quality is really cheap. every nicer thing is an option; such as pedals, shift knob, CF wing and stuff. Plus i can't stand the clear taillights, it's ricey and makes me feel like it's a lexus wannabe. it just reminds me of those ghetto hondas equipped with those lights. i don't mean to offend any evo owner, but this is really what i feel about the car. besides all that, the evo is a great handling car, and their front seats are actually more comfortable than the STi. For the STi, i have no complaint and regret at all. it's just the car for me.

·
Registered
983 Posts
btw, i think the detonation is caused by ppl using gas lower than 93 octane. i know there are places that ppl live in only provide 91 at max, so maybe that's why detonation occurs. in my area, the max is 93, sunoco has 94. i never used lower than 93 and has no detonation so far, but my car hasn't broken in yet so i don't know what will happen when i rev high.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts