IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a show on the speed channel about Hot Rod magazine. Its called Hot Rod tv. Its on monday too. I hope its the same show. They said Hot Rod magazine will have the sti and cobra mustang on the cover. They said both cars were real good and ran the same time in the 1/4 mile. Its at the very begining of the show, so don't miss any. It starts at 7 pm central time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, did anyone see it? Its on again at 1am and 7am tuesday. (12-2-03 ) They predicted massive hate mail for putting it on the cover of Hot Rod magazine. They said it was the modern day hemi cuda. They said bad stuff about it too. Can some one make a mpeg of it? It was only about 8 minutes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I saw it. Nice little clip they had but it is Hot Rod TV so of course they favored the Cobra.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just checked out the Hot Rod issue in the stores. The STi got 13.29 in the 1/4 and the Cobra only got 13.30. I know that they are the same but not for bragging rights. You know that the Hot Rod guys tried all day long to get the Cobra faster but couldn't seem to do it. The track times were 1:21 for the STi and 1:22 for the Cobra. I was a pretty good article and they seemed pretty fair considering it was Hot Rod magazine.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Xmas Blowout Sale on Headlight Protection!!

Are we talking current model SVT Cobra? That doesn't make sense, most reviews have their ETA's in the 12's... ??? Mach 1 I could believe as being slightly slower than the STi.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
i saw the ending of it and the cobra had a blower? does the mach 1 have a blower? i thought it didnt but could be wrong. im gonna try stay up for the encore tonight...

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
Tell me what you guys want at discount

http://www.hotrod.com/toc/113_0310_toc/

it just says cobra, not SVT, is there a difference? i know it had a supercharger because i saw them talkin about it.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
AFAIK, the only current cobra is the SVT cobra, and it is supercharged. And again, AFAIK, it should be able to kick our winged butts in acceleration.

In June of 2002, C&D tested it at 4.5s 0-60 and 12.9 sec 1/4 mi. Okay, it's not that much faster than the STi, but it is faster. The trap speed was 111 mph though!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
let me quickly add that it was the Mustang Cobra and not the limited production Cobra R. that car would kill our STi.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Isn't it out of production now. Wasn't it like $58000 when it was new. That seems a lot for just a fast Mustang. I would rather get the Z06 and get some everyday comfort and be just as fast if not faster.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
crashsti said:
l...not the limited production Cobra R. that car would kill our STi.
no doubt. it's got more than double the displacement and double the cylinders. it better be able to walk us. :)

M

·
0 Posts
It was the SVT Cobra that has 390 hp.

And yes, the STi was rated ahead of it in basically every single comparison from price to comfort to performance to utility.

At the end, even though the STi was clearly the better car, the editors were 'split' on their decision of which was better. Obviously, Hot Rod Magazine can not say that the STi won, but anyone who reads between the lines will see that was the consensus.

One point to remember though, we had a serious tire advantage from the factory, and a change in rubber would probably have generated the results they wanted in the Mustang.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The '03 Cobra had an MSRP of about $34,900. with about a $2,500 - $10,000 markup.....BUT ONLY WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT. You can now purchase one for at or slightly below MSRP. Most of the couped '03 Cobras run about 12.8 in the quarter, with the convertible running about 13.2-13.3.....Swap out the exhaust for a set of Flowmasters with no cats, a smaller pulleyf or increased boost and a bit larger gears and you've got an mid to high 11 sec ride all day long (with a good set of tires)....if you haven't ridden in one yet...I definately suggest you do...Big time fun....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts