IW STi Forum banner

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
^Yup just put that in my WRX, no problems at cheap at $6 a pop.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I use an oil filter wrench to tighten mine... but that's because I use a torque wrench to tighten to Subaru's exact specifications. No issues yet.
what is the torque spec in ft/lbs for the oem oil filter?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm somewhat amused by needing torque specs for a rubber gasketed, oil lubricated mating surface. Hand tight plus a little, that's all folks.

At your next oil drain you should *just* be able to turn it off without a fight barehanded. To be honest the range of "tightness" which will still offer no mechanical problems is huge. The torque spec best serves to ensure you don't lock the thing on there playing he-man oil changer.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'm somewhat amused by needing torque specs for a rubber gasketed, oil lubricated mating surface. Hand tight plus a little, that's all folks.

At your next oil drain you should *just* be able to turn it off without a fight barehanded. To be honest the range of "tightness" which will still offer no mechanical problems is huge. The torque spec best serves to ensure you don't lock the thing on there playing he-man oil changer.
Used to always do hand tight with my bikes and cars but I prefer torquing to OEM spec if I have the service manual.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

I totally agree.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
So, I got a Subaru oil filter recently, to save myself time before a trip, and noticed they have changed it again. It is better constructed than the ones they switched to from the blacks. It has a better gasket and a noticeably thicker lip around the gasket as well. I'm satisfied. Anyone else notice these changes?

·
Under Moderated
3,058 Posts
So, I got a Subaru oil filter recently, to save myself time before a trip, and noticed they have changed it again. It is better constructed than the ones they switched to from the blacks. It has a better gasket and a noticeably thicker lip around the gasket as well. I'm satisfied. Anyone else notice these changes?
Same blue can? This is the first I've heard that the OEM filter has changed. Any pics?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Saw this in another post and wanted to add it here, info that the 09+ mazda rx8 oil filters, tokyo roki part # N3R1-14-302, are very similar to the discontinued tokyo roki subaru "black" subaru filters, and can be used on our cars.

See: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mazda-rx-8-tokyo-roki-oil-filter-2-5gt-147113.html

"Same diameter and threading as the Subaru filter except it's physically longer... And most importantly the relief valve is set to 20-26 psi, which is the same as Subaru."

I'd been using the longer PureOne which has a lower relief valve range (I forget exactly what but is was documented on a thread on bobtheoilguy)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Same blue can? This is the first I've heard that the OEM filter has changed. Any pics?
No pics. I noticed right away it was different though because the lip was not rolled back. I even ask the parts guy to double check to be sure it was the right one. It is also stouter than the older one (I could flex the walls on the older one when I squeezed it). I don't know if the innards changed. I've gone through two of 'em now, no problems.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So, has anyone else noticed a change to a better OE filter here recently? It's nearly time for my first oil change and was wondering if I should go back to OE or stick with Purilator 1?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Saw this in another post and wanted to add it here, info that the 09+ mazda rx8 oil filters, tokyo roki part # N3R1-14-302, are very similar to the discontinued tokyo roki subaru "black" subaru filters, and can be used on our cars.

See: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mazda-rx-8-tokyo-roki-oil-filter-2-5gt-147113.html

"Same diameter and threading as the Subaru filter except it's physically longer... And most importantly the relief valve is set to 20-26 psi, which is the same as Subaru."

I'd been using the longer PureOne which has a lower relief valve range (I forget exactly what but is was documented on a thread on bobtheoilguy)
Just to clarify, Purolator PL14610, PL14612, L14610, and L14612 are all rated 14-18, not just the taller version. I was worried for a second.

Application Guide Results

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Let me rephrase then: what oversized filter fits the 2011?
Yes, yes, and yes. The PureONE PL14610 Oversized will fit. Subaru uses the same threads for all of their modern cars.

All of the filters listed in the first post will fit your 2011 STI, a 1999 Impreza, a 2005 Legacy GT, etc etc

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for an actual answer. I picked up a mobil1 110.....used them all the time on my Z with no problems. Any reason to not use it now and get a pureONE later?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
... As for the blue filters, I will NEVER run those. My mechanics at the dealership don't like them because they tend to leak at times, and thats a risk I will not take...
For < 5k OCI I'm still all about the Subie Blues. More than half the guys I see in the hobby shop tighten their filters with gorilla paws, thinking tighter is better.... not having heard from any one I trust that they leak, I still consider them best for normal intervals. ....
I use an oil filter wrench to tighten mine... but that's because I use a torque wrench to tighten to Subaru's exact specifications. No issues yet.
... I'm using the blues too. So maybe some people just need to learn to tighten their filter appropriately.
I'm using the Blue Subaru filters. I firmly hand tighten mine until the can body touches the filter mount base. Haven't had any instance of leaking.

The Blue Subaru filters (and others) have a different profile on the rubber seal. Many common filters (used on American cars) have seals which are flat on both sides. These can be overtightened too much, maybe causing a leak. The Subie Blues are designed to compress the rubber seal correctly when the can is screwed down until it touches the mounting base. Thus, you automatically get the right amount of seal compression, and thus, no leak. That's my experience. A nice design IMO.

However, if you follow the tightening protocol for the flat-type seals (normally given as 1/2 or 2/3rds of a turn after first seal contact) with the Subaru profile-type seal, the Subaru seal won't be sufficiently compressed, leading to possible leaking.

I rest my case :lol:.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread but I thought I should add something about the concern on the relief pressure non Subaru Blue OEM filters like PureONE, Bosch, K&N, etc.

I found this post on NASIOC when I did my filter research and I tend to agree with what Nicklz has to say about this:

" I should have said technically only the blue can (Subaru OEM Blue) BUT the pureone filter has the same relief valve found in the correct part# for the wrx 2.5 and 2.0 motors but the PL14610 (honda filter) has a larger filter media. (bigger can) So you have more filter media, which lowers the effective pressure needed for the relief valve."

ref: NASIOC - View Single Post - What oil filter are you running?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread but I thought I should add something about the concern on the relief pressure non Subaru Blue OEM filters like PureONE, Bosch, K&N, etc.

I found this post on NASIOC when I did my filter research and I tend to agree with what Nicklz has to say about this:

" I should have said technically only the blue can (Subaru OEM Blue) BUT the pureone filter has the same relief valve found in the correct part# for the wrx 2.5 and 2.0 motors but the PL14610 (honda filter) has a larger filter media. (bigger can) So you have more filter media, which lowers the effective pressure needed for the relief valve."

ref: NASIOC - View Single Post - What oil filter are you running?
Sorry to bump this old thread, but that NASIOC thread is hard to read. Uncle Scotty is a friggin idiot that thinks he knows everything. He makes blanket statements with no data to backup his words. I have worked in the petroleum chemical industry, and seen a lot of testing with oils/filters. That guy is really passing along a lot of misinformation. This reminds me why I hate NASIOC and never visit the site anymore.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts