K&N HP-1008
Mobil 1 M1-108
STP S6607
SuperTech ST6607
WIX 51365
NAPA Gold 1365
FRAM Extra Guard PH6607
FRAM Tough Guard TG6607

OVERSIZED FILTERS (same in all dimensions except taller)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Purolator PureONE PL14610

Filters Obtained and waiting for analysis:
Purolator Premium Plus L14610 (Oversized)
MotorCraft FL-821 (Oversized)
Wix 51356 (Oversized)
Napa Gold 1365 (Oversized)
Amsoil SDF20 (Oversized)

Filters waiting to be obtained:
AC Delco PF1237
Amsoil SDF13
Mobil 1 M1-110 (Oversized)
ProLine PPL14612 (Oversized)

Each filter's diameters were measured and the filter was cut open and the internal diameters measured. Also took pictures of everything. In short - the best filter is the OEM filter in the standard replacement category. Use the OEM filter. It is, without a doubt, the best in construction and filter area/volume in the standard replacement filters. In second place is the PureONE. The OEM filter might be eclipsed by a filter in the oversized category but only time will tell. I need to start ripping apart the oversized filters. I have further comments in the Excel Spreadsheet. Click on the XLS file to view the excel spreadsheet with all the data. Go into the directories to view the pictures. The names of the directories correspond to the filters. I also have a compare directory. There are two sheets to the XLS file. The first sheet is the standard replacement filters. The second sheet is the oversized filters.

http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/oil/filters/

IMHO, nothing comes close to the OEM filter in the standard replacement category. The standard PureONE (PL14612) was close in filter area ... but still lacked the overall bulletproof construction of the OEM casing and gasket. The oversized PL14610 PureONE has more filter area, but still lacks the bulletproof construction of the OEM filter. Now, with that said, if you want a filter you can pickup locally that is a kickass filter then the PL14610 is your friend. It's the best 'aftermarket' filter so far (I reserve the right to change this as time progresses and I test more filters). I was very disappointed with both the K&N and Mobil-1 filters. These filters only had like 1/2 of the filter area of the OEM. Rumor has it that the M1-110 is a longer version of the M1-108 and will yield better total area/volume. I'll put it on my list of filters to obtain.

If anybody wants me to cut open any other STi oil filters just let me know. I've listed everything that I can get locally as well as through on-line parts places above. I'm sure there are a couple more filters like the Bosch. Once I have analyzed everything I can get my hands on then I'll probably slap together a webpage to make the site more user friendly. But, until then, you guys can enjoy the current results.

Please keep in mind that the obvious thing lacking in everything that I have done is REAL testing of the filter media in terms of what it can and cannot trap. I don't have the ability to do that. I just looked at the overall contruction of the filters and determined the area & volume for the filtering media. Take a look for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

t

·
Registered
406 Posts
Great post, thanks very much for taking the time to compare those filters. I'm sticking with OEM for sure.

{EDIT}: Posted a link to this message thread over on the "Oil Filters" forum on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

·
Registered
116 Posts
You media area is incorrect. Here's the formula: Media Area = PD * SW * PC *2

PD = Pleat Depth
SW = slit width (This is missing, I believe)
PC = Pleat count
The 2 is to cover both sides of the pleats. (this is missing too)

Other than that good information. It would be nice if we could get a Frazier test, efficiency test, flow vs restriction test, and mean flow pore test for more conclusive results. (I wish I still worked at the filter company I used to work at b/c I could probably work it out)

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zack_280 said:
You media area is incorrect. Here's the formula: Media Area = PD * SW * PC *2

PD = Pleat Depth
SW = slit width (This is missing, I believe)
PC = Pleat count
The 2 is to cover both sides of the pleats. (this is missing too)

Other than that good information. It would be nice if we could get a Frazier test, efficiency test, flow vs restriction test, and mean flow pore test for more conclusive results. (I wish I still worked at the filter company I used to work at b/c I could probably work it out)
Thanks! I fixed the fact that I forgot to multiply by 2. Good Catch. Anybody know of any other filters I can buy and take a look at? Thanks to everyone for their 'thumbs up!'. Appreciate it.

t

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Very nice work... do an AMSOIL SDF20 filter! Thats what I normally use as its supposed to be super heavy duty blah blah blah... Guess thats what they all say though dont they?

Robert~

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is Hydra??

staticx313 said:
Very nice work... do an AMSOIL SDF20 filter! Thats what I normally use as its supposed to be super heavy duty blah blah blah... Guess thats what they all say though dont they?

Robert~
Rob,

I thought it was the SDF13? Are you sure it's the SDF20? Or, maybe the SDF20 is just a longer version of the SDF13? Let me know. Also, give me a link to where I can buy one and I'll buy one to take a look at it.

t

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
yes ! thank you as well . i too am using the amsoil listed above. and would love to know how it measures up.

much appreciated

sman

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
staticx313 said:

Robert~
I use that filter also and would be interested to know how it compares.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
WolfPlayer said:
staticx313 said:

Robert~
Rob,

I thought it was the SDF13? Are you sure it's the SDF20? Or, maybe the SDF20 is just a longer version of the SDF13? Let me know. Also, give me a link to where I can buy one and I'll buy one to take a look at it.

t
Yes, I am sure it is the SDF20. My Amsoil guy checked into it and recommended the 20 over the 13 cause I think it is bigger, not sure how though but believe it is longer.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts