IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Just got in the game earlier this year with a 2020 WRB STI (I wanted a 2004 way back when). I love every second I am in it. I bought it to use as a DD since I was putting so many miles on my 2500 diesel when it was just carting me to/from work most of the time. Still haul 10-12 times a year so I still have it, but sits during the week mostly. Let me back up ...

My son is graduating HS this year so I told him I would help start him off by paying for 1 year of college or purchasing him a car. Found a 2019 WRX in December. I liked it so much I was going to keep it and just find him another. That led me to buy a Stage 2+ kit in prep for when I can get him one and I could mod the WRX. Couldn't find the right WRX for him so he got the WRX and I did what anyone else would ... find an STI! Still have the Cobb intake and j-pipe sitting in the garage for the WRX btw.

That leads me to now. I just bought a Stage 2 kit from MAP since I can't seem to find a stage 2 OTS map for the Cobb GESI downpipe and MAP offers and OTS so I can at least get around for a bit before going through the process of a pro-tune (either IRL or etune). I gave them a call after I ordered to make sure they still gave out the map post-Greenspeed and they said they do. They also said that I will almost certainly get the CEL code for the cats within a year as they break down over time. I then had a realization - did the Stage 2 OTS maps disable the CEL codes for the cats regardless of whether they were actually thrown anyway? Like a "we know this is likely to happen so we just disable preemptively"

To be clear, I am still going to put it on and still get a protune/etune in the next month or two, but it makes me wonder what the mod/build path for my STI and the son's WRX will be like going forward. We live in a state that has ODB-based self-service smog readers so no visual inspections, but CEL codes may be an issue every couple years. I assume that I will be able to just toss on the downpipes and schedule some protunes with non-Cobb based tuning, OS or whatever, with a standalone being the likely path.

At what point would the stock downpipe (for those not wanting to mess with emissions) be a significant reason to not continue upgrades? My current plan was to finish buying fueling parts (have some already) and then start with a built block, fmic, turbo, etc. What should be the build path going forward if you don't want to deal with a CEL for emissions? It is going to take time to get everything done so planning out what the different tuners will be able to do in 1-2yrs is kind of critical. I bought a WRX and STI so my son and I could have one last thing to do as he moves on to adulthood and we could make some memories on the weekends working on cars. If mods to the engine are not it ... driveline/suspension (shudders)? LOL

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
See about
6,363 Posts
WRX: FBO (for this car) and tune will make the car much quicker, particularly under 3 digit. Will get you into the range where rod are occasionally catastrophic. Under $5K total.

STI: What VA? You can easily "bolt-on" up to 400 without considering a FMIC - unless you are are in particularly hot location.

Suspension can be done sure - with improvement. If yo do it, do it "right" No sense in replacing a decent suspension with a crappy one.

Think hard about where you want these cars to end up. Many spend a lot of money making a loud harsh car that others don't enjoy. I have one. I kind of love it, and I have spent many hours and mile alone in it.

Modding does not add value to the car.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I agree with Mheyman, I think you really need to decide where you want the car to be. One thing you should realize is that what you want/like may be very different than what your son wants/likes. A young man at that age will "usually" have much more different taste than an older more experienced adult. Personally, I think you should take it 1 step at a time. Take it from me, I modded my sti in my early 20's. Now in my 30's, some of those same things arent as appealing like they used to be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WRX: FBO (for this car) and tune will make the car much quicker, particularly under 3 digit. Will get you into the range where rod are occasionally catastrophic. Under $5K total.

STI: What VA? You can easily "bolt-on" up to 400 without considering a FMIC - unless you are are in particularly hot location.

Suspension can be done sure - with improvement. If yo do it, do it "right" No sense in replacing a decent suspension with a crappy one.

Think hard about where you want these cars to end up. Many spend a lot of money making a loud harsh car that others don't enjoy. I have one. I kind of love it, and I have spent many hours and mile alone in it.

Modding does not add value to the car.
Agree on modding not adding value. I intend to keep this one for a long time and it is really just an excuse to get the kid to stop by the house to spend some time with me when he isn't out and about with friends :) I stopped modding my cars about 10 years ago and have been running all stock trucks since then.

The STI is a 2020. I already have a Cobb SS Catback on it (bought for the 2019 WRX and that was the only thing I could move over) and did a few minor mods like OEM interior footwell LEDs/ kicker tweeters. Had 30k on it so I did a full fluid change and new plugs. I am in the DC/Maryland area so prob not too hot, but traffic is always a possibility. I did order a blanket and the grimspeed shield for the downpipe to help with any heat soak, but if a good TMIC will be good, I am all up for that route as well. I just assumed that if I was spending, then spend on something that wouldn't mean I have to replace it if priorities change down the line.

For my STI, I think the goal is having usable power that is very "streetable" so 400whp is probably the highest I would go. For my son, he cares less about performance right now than the looks. I think he wants to focus on the suspension/looks and power later. His first mods were: Subispeed Gurney flap, CF e-brake handle/button, tow hooks f/r, set of matt bronze motegi wheels. Those are on and he is almost ready for the Cobb Stage 1+ and/or Cobb downpipe if we want to go that route (post-greenspeed).

I just don't want to have a $1k j-pipe paperweight sitting in the garage because I am ok with my car having a CEL ... I can always check the AP and make sure it isn't some other code being thrown. I don't want that for my son (at least starting out) as I have always told him to stop driving if a CEL shows up on his old blazer.

Remember that time when you were working on that car with your dad, step-dad, or mom (heck is it mother's day)? I was finally in that position to do it and the greenspeed stuff is just making the planning a bit harder. I guess I can always wait it out and go with other mod paths though. Once I get tired of daily driving it, I can see either a race path or a car show path, but lifetime ownership is the goal ... something I can pass down the line so to speak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Mheyman, I think you really need to decide where you want the car to be. One thing you should realize is that what you want/like may be very different than what your son wants/likes. A young man at that age will "usually" have much more different taste than an older more experienced adult. Personally, I think you should take it 1 step at a time. Take it from me, I modded my sti in my early 20's. Now in my 30's, some of those same things arent as appealing like they used to be.

Ha! I started realizing that when just adding the Cobb catback. It is supposedly the "mild" option and here I am buying bottles of bourbon and wine for the neighbors since I leave for work at 0-dark-30. My son definitely wants the turbo sounds though. When I told him the only way to that was an intake and tune, he told me to "send it. Let's gooooooo". He works, so it is his money but still ... haha. I was at least able to convince him on the gurney flap before the giant Type RA-style spoiler. I told him he needs to be able to back up the look under the hood before he went there.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
761 Posts
AFAIK the CEL for the cat is an issue on the 2018+ STi. Haven’t heard of it being a thing on the WRX but I could be wrong.

Reactions: ntg44

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AFAIK the CEL for the cat is an issue on the 2018+ STi. Haven’t heard of it being a thing on the WRX but I could be wrong.
Good call on that. I may just have to do a protune IRL (get it all done in one day) since eTune might not be the way on that one. That would be good news though for sure!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Ha! I started realizing that when just adding the Cobb catback. It is supposedly the "mild" option and here I am buying bottles of bourbon and wine for the neighbors since I leave for work at 0-dark-30. My son definitely wants the turbo sounds though. When I told him the only way to that was an intake and tune, he told me to "send it. Let's gooooooo". He works, so it is his money but still ... haha. I was at least able to convince him on the gurney flap before the giant Type RA-style spoiler. I told him he needs to be able to back up the look under the hood before he went there.
Thats good! Guide him in the right and proper path for tasteful modifications. No spray painting wheels and making every single thing on the car black as night 😂 Hopefully you'll show him that he doesn't need to have the absolutely most brutal exhaust set up to have fun with the car. There's ways to be loud with an exhaust but yet still respectful. Then there are the guys with cars that are just a public nuisance. We all know that one car somewhere with no cats, no resonators, no mufflers, and burble tune (pop bang pop pop bang pop). Everyones place has at least one of those guys.......absolutely annoying :cautious:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have kinda hit the same wall, I had planned on a downpipe and all the supporting fuel mods and maybe a 20g down the road but seems like none of the down pipes are playing nice with the newer STIs and not being able to disable that rear o2 now. I wonder at what point do we go beyond what to factory downpipe can handle from a flow standpoint? With out going standalone what's the limit? Intake and bigger injectors maybe

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
i do agree, planning what you want out of the car will be paramount before modding.

that said, in dc/md area (i'm in northern va), you wont have to swap that oem tmic at all up to 400, even then, killer b has pushed them past that with success. the oem one is good. i'm still on a tmic and it works well up here. in the summers you may get a little heat soak if it sits in traffic but once you start moving it cools quickly.

i'm a firm believer that a "fbo" but retaining the stock turbo is a very fun setup, and part of me wishes i'd have stayed there. dyno pending, you could easily make 300whp and a bit more than that on wtq (93 pump gas). which is alot more fun than people give it credit for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i do agree, planning what you want out of the car will be paramount before modding.

that said, in dc/md area (i'm in northern va), you wont have to swap that oem tmic at all up to 400, even then, killer b has pushed them past that with success. the oem one is good. i'm still on a tmic and it works well up here. in the summers you may get a little heat soak if it sits in traffic but once you start moving it cools quickly.

i'm a firm believer that a "fbo" but retaining the stock turbo is a very fun setup, and part of me wishes i'd have stayed there. dyno pending, you could easily make 300whp and a bit more than that on wtq (93 pump gas). which is alot more fun than people give it credit for.
Over the last few days I have come to appreciate all the knowledge people have accumulated on these cars ... the support is much appreciated.

I also agree that 300whp is definitely fun and should hold me over for a while. I am still going to pick up some additional fueling parts when I can find the good deals, but I am going to work on the supporting mods first (stage 2 should hold me over). That should give me something to work on that will also set me up for later. The bonus is that it might also let the dust settle on where people migrate with the greenspeed stuff ... maybe a good direction will be found (doesn't matter which to me at this point) that will give me something to plan for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have kinda hit the same wall, I had planned on a downpipe and all the supporting fuel mods and maybe a 20g down the road but seems like none of the down pipes are playing nice with the newer STIs and not being able to disable that rear o2 now. I wonder at what point do we go beyond what to factory downpipe can handle from a flow standpoint? With out going standalone what's the limit? Intake and bigger injectors maybe
That is basically what I was wondering as well. I am still going with a MAP downpipe, so time will tell, but I am definitely not going to sell the stock downpipe anytime soon. From what I have gathered on common design characteristics on the stock downpipe, the main differences seem to be in the overall tube diameter and how the internal wastegate flows. I would imagine the limiter is probably somewhere close to where you would be using something like a turbo with a EWG vs IWG or when the stock downpipe diameter won't flow enough exhaust to be efficient. Surely the ceiling on that would be close to 340-350 crank since that is essentially what the S209 made w/ some of the same fuel mods. I would imagine the downpipes are the same on the 19-20 STI and the 19 S209?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
not sure if the dp is the same or not on the standard vs the s209, but part of the reason you see more power from the 209 is because the turbo itself is bigger than the standard sti turbo. i know you could in theory bolt on a turbo and tune it and make more power, but i'm not sure how much more with the oem downpipe, nor am i sure how much it will limit flow putting stress back onto the turbo.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
761 Posts
not sure if the dp is the same or not on the standard vs the s209, but part of the reason you see more power from the 209 is because the turbo itself is bigger than the standard sti turbo. i know you could in theory bolt on a turbo and tune it and make more power, but i'm not sure how much more with the oem downpipe, nor am i sure how much it will limit flow putting stress back onto the turbo.
Ye, 209 gets an HKS GT turbo, vs the oem VF48.
Like you said, not sure if the GT utilizes the VF's stock pipings, but I doubt it.

Reactions: Karlot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ye, 209 gets an HKS GT turbo, vs the oem VF48.
Like you said, not sure if the GT utilizes the VF's stock pipings, but I doubt it.
According to some chatter over on NAISOC, the S209 has the stock two-cat STI downpipe. Seems like the increases there were following many of the existing upgrade paths. I guess if one follows, we can probably reliably get to the same levels (probably a bit more) on the stock downpipe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
According to some chatter over on NAISOC, the S209 has the stock two-cat STI downpipe. Seems like the increases there were following many of the existing upgrade paths. I guess if one follows, we can probably reliably get to the same levels (probably a bit more) on the stock downpipe.
If that's true we still have room to play with, I just wonder how long the cats would hold up with the increase in flow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts