IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the mild lowering (~1") with the STi brand lowering springs:

This is the before shot:

While the lowering is only an inch, it is just noticable, and more importantly, it does make a notible difference in the handling. I got them at rallispec.com ($368).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NICE!

I had them installed just yesterday. I know the that silver STi with the same springs looks a hair lower. I'm curious to know if he's removed the spare tire front the trunk (I did). I also just put in the lightweight front bumper bracket, which takes about 20 lbs off the front. These pics were taken with a totally full tank of gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
StiBoy said:
I had them installed just yesterday. I know the that silver STi with the same springs looks a hair lower. I'm curious to know if he's removed the spare tire front the trunk (I did). I also just put in the lightweight front bumper bracket, which takes about 20 lbs off the front. These pics were taken with a totally full tank of gas.
Yep, no spare or jack. The wing weighs about 15 pounds too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger. JDM front bumper beam; $181 from rallispec.com. Takes off about 20 lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Scuba_Steve said:
StiBoy said:
I had them installed just yesterday. I know the that silver STi with the same springs looks a hair lower. I'm curious to know if he's removed the spare tire front the trunk (I did). I also just put in the lightweight front bumper bracket, which takes about 20 lbs off the front. These pics were taken with a totally full tank of gas.
Yep, no spare or jack. The wing weighs about 15 pounds too.
Nice car, but it looks very strange without the wing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NoSoup4U said:
Are the pink springs installed with the stock struts?
Yup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yxan2 said:
how hard is that inner bumper beam to install?
Not very. It took me ~ 90 minutes to do the whole job (including the install of the foglamps). The bumper itself took the most time, just 'cause I had to figure it out. Next time, it'll take me 10 minutes - because I know where all those press in fasteners are.

Once the bumper's off, there are 2 bolts and 4 nuts to remove and the bumper beam is off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4MLA1FN said:
you get a dash switch with that fog kit, right?
Oh yeah - looks 100% factory. The car is just asking for the foglights. It's all prewired (as you might already know). The kit comes with the switch, which fits in the space to the right of the IC sprayer switch. The blank in that position has the wiring connector in it. And the required fuse is also included that one puts in the fuse box behind the coin tray (just below the switches).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just have to say that now that I've driven it some, I'm stoked. It really improves handling. The car stays much flatter now. I originally bought them for the cosmetic improvment - so what a nice surprise.

And...I do believe they are settling some. It's looking a hair lower today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
StiBoy said:
I just have to say that now that I've driven it some, I'm stoked. It really improves handling. The car stays much flatter now. I originally bought them for the cosmetic improvment - so what a nice surprise.

And...I do believe they are settling some. It's looking a hair lower today.

Music to my ears. I just made an appointment for the install tomorrow. Did you do the alignment yet, if so to what specs?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
agent.STi said:
StiBoy said:
I just have to say that now that I've driven it some, I'm stoked. It really improves handling. The car stays much flatter now. I originally bought them for the cosmetic improvment - so what a nice surprise.

And...I do believe they are settling some. It's looking a hair lower today.

Music to my ears. I just made an appointment for the install tomorrow. Did you do the alignment yet, if so to what specs?

Thanks.
Well, not yet. And I'll take some feedback from people on this one, 'cause it's straight right now. I feel like I could get along without having it aligned. But yeah, I know - I still should, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Re: Seat belts....

StiBoy said:
Well, not yet. And I'll take some feedback from people on this one, 'cause it's straight right now. I feel like I could get along without having it aligned. But yeah, I know - I still should, right?
Well how do you know it's straight without taking it to an alignement place. Unless your alignment was way out of wack before and the springs some how fixed it :roll: you are out of alignment right now. Wait a week or a few 100 miles for everything to settle and get it aligned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Word of caution about installing shorter springs. Although it can feel like the car handles better because the center of gravity is lower, you can really screw up the suspension geometry, and end up with less mechanical grip. The car can feel 'better' but in fact have worse handling. Without track testing I personally would not do the mod, I don't care how cool it looks.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top