IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's a good drop, about between RCE blacks and yellows. Ride quality is still same, can't comment if it's higher spring rates but I'd think so, probably on the order of RCE blacks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Anyone got a stock ride height picture of 2018? AJ? I didn't snap any, but I can snap some of the springs now on.

I wish I could find out the stiffness.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone got a stock ride height picture of 2018? AJ? I didn't snap any, but I can snap some of the springs now on.

I wish I could find out the stiffness.
Please do post pictures, I'd like to see the light drop with oem jdm springs :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So.. I have to take the springs apart again..

Fuck me.

The bumpstops really need to be cut down the first notch like RCE Blacks/yellows, I forgot how the VA chassis, like GR, is basically riding on bumpstops at stock height, especially the rears.

These lower a significant amount so even if instructions don't say it, I'd do it, because the ride is not good right now.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
So.. I have to take the springs apart again..

Fuck me.

The bumpstops really need to be cut down the first notch like RCE Blacks/yellows, I forgot how the VA chassis, like GR, is basically riding on bumpstops at stock height, especially the rears.

These lower a significant amount so even if instructions don't say it, I'd do it, because the ride is not good right now.
Thanks for the side shots!! Might get a set of pink springs soon!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Before you take it apart and guesstimate trimming and risk doing it the 3rd time, RCE resells the eibach made rear bump stops on their site. Actually I think Geoff at Cygnus has a whole box of them and may give it away. RCE reuses the front OEM bump stops. Front is where I ran into travel issues and proceeded to replace OEM with GTworx Bilsteins that didn't solve the issue. RCE told me the Bils come with harder bump stops and assured me the dash slamming after bottoming out was ok because their company car had over 30k miles on Yellow/GTworx. I really hope you work it out. For me there's nothing more frustrating than unsorted suspension across all conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Before you take it apart and guesstimate trimming and risk doing it the 3rd time, RCE resells the eibach made rear bump stops on their site. Actually I think Geoff at Cygnus has a whole box of them and may give it away. RCE reuses the front OEM bump stops. Front is where I ran into travel issues and proceeded to replace OEM with GTworx Bilsteins that didn't solve the issue. RCE told me the Bils come with harder bump stops and assured me the dash slamming after bottoming out was ok because their company car had over 30k miles on Yellow/GTworx. I really hope you work it out. For me there's nothing more frustrating than unsorted suspension across all conditions.
Oh, I've done this so many times on my 08 STI, 14 FXT, 15 STI. LOL

I always just cut the first notch on both front and rears. I had RCE yellows on all the cars listed and yeah it sometimes bottoms out but at least I have travel. Now I'm perpetually riding on bump stops. Or at least very close to the limit.

Not sure if Subaru intended this or not with their springs or their upcoming type RA with Bilsitein and its own pink springs. Maybe there is a special shorter bump stop part number for that.

Anyhow, I always got good results with cutting the first notch. I didn't do it this time because the instructions didn't say anything to do that.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So cut the damn bumpstops, I don't remember on 2015-2017, the front bumpstop is only 3 sections now? Can anyone comment?

Anyhow it's cut, and you can't even order this part if you want it back to stock LOL.

I drove a while after and it seems better, not 100% sure, but definitely it's stiffer than stock, it maybe around RCE yellows. I'm not sure since I don't remember how my 15 felt anymore.

It's not low as RCE yellows though, it's about RCE blacks which is good.

Honestly though, I liked the stock springs the best, it felt good and had good bump absorption. The only thing was ride height, which isn't too bad anyhow.

I'll keep it like this for now since I can't revert to stock since they don't sell the bumpstop for the front by itself. We'll see when Type RA comes and how the Bilstein and springs sit on that car. I bet though it won't be as nice as the 2018 STI, it's probably like what I have, more sporty etc.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So update... the RA uses exact same OEM stock spring as regular 2018 STI. The rear is a different part number. Black springs and not lowered in height.

Makes me wonder what Bilstein strut is on the RA? Hahah

They really watered down the car to us from S207 to RA. No underbody bracing even, no real STI muffler like S207. Same 2 pots in rear, no 2 piece rotors, no turbo inlet upgrade.

Glad the wheels are same as S207 except color, but tires are thinner (245 vs 255)

Not sure what Japan thinks of N/A at this point. That we are soft body marshmellow that hate real racing cars?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think ride height may have to do with meeting DOT regulation. BMW and Porsche all ride lower than their US counterparts. The rest may be a bean counter or marketing decision to keep it under $50k.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think ride height may have to do with meeting DOT regulation. BMW and Porsche all ride lower than their US counterparts. The rest may be a bean counter or marketing decision to keep it under $50k.
Sure but why same exact from spring rate for both the Bilstein strut and regular kyb strut? That doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sure but why same exact from spring rate for both the Bilstein strut and regular kyb strut? That doesn't make any sense.

You can change the feel and driving characteristics a lot through shock/strut valving alone and I guess that's what they did here if the rates are the same, since the normal STI stock struts have room for improvement.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I have always felt its the base STI's that are detuned from their real potential, and the versions offered overseas should have always been available here. The best illustration of this fact is the difference in E.T around VIR back to back on the same day where the Type RA ran almost four and a half seconds faster than the base 2018 STI. Thats a significant difference.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have always felt its the base STI's that are detuned from their real potential, and the versions offered overseas should have always been available here. The best illustration of this fact is the difference in E.T around VIR back to back on the same day where the Type RA ran almost four and a half seconds faster than the base 2018 STI. Thats a significant difference.

Same driver and tires? 4 seconds at VIR is a wide margin.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I looked up the part numbers on all of the RA specific components when they were first released and I believe the RA shares its rear dampers with the Type S in Japan.
So we have type s stuff then?

I guess I shouldn't get the s207 springs to go with RA struts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So after driving on these pinks for a while what do you think? Did you go to another set up?

I think the s207 has the Bilstein Dampmatic II set up so not sure if those springs are tuned well for stock or RA struts.

I'm thinking about trying the STI pinks for my 2017 WRX (A-C chassis version). I appreciate your experience and impressions about them in this thread

21 - 40 of 43 Posts