IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm checking out JapanParts and also JDM STI website for Subaru STI parts.
Links:

コイルスプリング F (Dタイプ~):WRX STI(VA)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI
Japanparts.com - JDM Parts,Performance Auto Parts

There's a crapload of stuff on JapanParts and I'm cross referencing and just assuming things, but here's what I can figure out so far.

A.) There's some older Bilstein struts/shocks apparently for "S4" set you can get and there is a regular "Subaru" spring (not pink STI) that goes with it.

Springs:
Struts:

Still not entirely sure if this is S4 only or STI or there's 2 types? But on JapanParts there's only these struts/shocks and the springs it says it's for STI (VAB is the code in Japan)

Confusing????

B.) Now this is simple, S207 Struts/shocks and springs (STI pink). Again different Bilstein struts, probably just S207 variant.

Springs:
Struts:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/48336

C.) STI Pink lowering springs, about 10cm, for different model/years, for 2018+ it's D- variant, I found this on amazon on how to read your VIN plate:

Springs:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/46971

Which you need is according to when you car was built using the chart on amazon. So mine is a 2018 so I need the VAB/D-, meaning reading the letter D and beyond. The other spring is A to C so earlier models.

BUT there's another option, you can choose regular struts or the Bilstein struts! But what does this mean even? Is this some option you can get Bilstein strut or something in Japan on the STI models? I don't see it on JapanParts but I don't think it's the "A" I listed. I also don't think it's the S207 Bilsteins as those are special set.

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/SUBARU-STI-コイルスプリング-フロント側-WRX-VAB-MT車用-ST20330VV000/dp/B01N4ASV4T

So very confusing but I don't see anyone mention these springs for the 2015+ chassis or even tried it? It's comparable pricing to RCE Black/Yellow other than shipping, but if you order more stuff it balances it out. (Not your wallet though haha)

I might just order the set of STI Pink lowering springs, it's good amount 10cm and it's OEM made so I know they won't rust as bad as RCE. Trust me I had 5 sets of RCE springs on 4 different Subaru, they rust.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Japanparts part number 333-006-007-2 Bilsteins for the WRX-S4 VAG

Japanparts part number 333-207-018 Bilsteins from S207 (Comfort Valving)

Japanparts part number 333-006-007-1 Bilteins for STi-type-S: i would get these set.

Yeah you can get the STi pink springs either for the KYB struts or Bilsteins, i think the only difference is the rear spring rates.

STi Springs:

Fronts are the same for 15-17 STi
コイルスプリング F(A~Cタイプ):WRX STI(VA)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI

Fronts for 2018+
コイルスプリング F (Dタイプ~):WRX STI(VA)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI

For the KYB Struts:

REARS: コイルスプリング R(WRX STI KYB用):WRX STI(VA)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI

For Bilsteins Struts:

REARS: コイルスプリング R(WRX STI ビルシュタイン用):WRX STI(VA)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI

Yeah i got confused to so i looked up on the STi japan website

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I guess the question is, when the Type RA is here, which struts and springs would it come with? Same as S207? It seems S207 has its own set of springs though.

Also I noticed on the STI website, it shows the Bilsteins spring for rear is made for 19" wheels but the KYB isn't for, but we have 19" wheels here... so not sure? Maybe we should just pick the Bilsteins struts springs

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for sharing your research. I have nothing to add other than I'll be watching this thread for a conclusion! :banana:

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On orders the STI springs for VAB/D-

I'll see what Bilsitein struts and price is when type RA comes to Canada. So far the gtworx struts are much cheaper than the JDM Bilsitein which with shipping and tax, will cost $2300 CAD

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On orders the STI springs for VAB/D-

I'll see what Bilsitein struts and price is when type RA comes to Canada. So far the gtworx struts are much cheaper than the JDM Bilsitein which with shipping and tax, will cost $2300 CAD

And they're here...

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! So are you going to throw those onto the stock struts for now?
These are only made for the kyb stock struts. I didn't get the ones for the type s Bilsitein, and there are also separate ones for s207 Bilsitein.

I never find myself driving hard enough to over use stock struts.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What's the difference between the JDM control arms. I was looking at my OEMs and the angles look about the same. Maybe bushings? I see you have solid ones. Also smart of you to go with the springs designed for KYB. The custom valved Bilsteins we have from a well known company has firm bump stops. Even with Blacks I was able to bottom out and the impact shutters my dash console. The KYB are softer. I went back to stock then Ohlins. Wished I did that in the beginning. Now I've ridden in GR chassis and no issues with bottoming out on Yellows.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes these have pillowball (spherical I guess?) pressed in, that's the only difference, and the STI sticker lol.

After these, you can get the Chargespeed rear trailing arm that has pillowball or hardened rubber bushing, then there's only 1 more bushing in the hub that isn't pillowball.

Also the upper control arm is regular rubber but you can only replace those with poly or group n rubber, which is pain in the ass to replace, so I'll just ignore those.

Bilsteins are nice but really I don't see myself using the adjustable valving.. I only track 1-3 times a year at a relatively low speed track. Stock is good enough. I don't want to spend $2500 on struts.

I had RCE yellows on my 08 STi and 15 STI, I think they are bit too low and too harsh, I hope these STI springs will be something like RCE black but with OEM durability and not rust in 1 year.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem, will post here and in my journal, I won't be taking any install pics as I do a lot of greasing up the bolts/nuts for winter, so will just take some completed pics or something.

I'll see if I can do the fronts tomorrow and the whole rear shabang on Sunday.

Reinstalled the Beatrush rear subframe inserts and MUCH better than the SuperPro ones. Something is definitely not right with those superpro, they probably tilt the rear diff a wrong angle due to the same size bushings for front and rear and cause more NVH than these METAL inserts lol.

Also swapped to the 20mm Subaru rear sway from the 19mm, what a waste that I even have to do this.. lol but whatever $100 for sway bar is good.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stock 2018 kyb struts

Fronts partially in, trying to apply synthetic grease to every single bolt before finishing.

Gotta redo driver side due to some weird thing with spring holder rubber...

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick note, always install spring top same indentation as stock.

Doing rears now, the STI spring is slightly taller than OEM, meaning more preload. Not sure why though. After fronts I see slight drop, will finish up tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick note, always install spring top same indentation as stock.

Doing rears now, the STI spring is slightly taller than OEM, meaning more preload. Not sure why though. After fronts I see slight drop, will finish up tomorrow

Some pics of rear in progress.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Would these springs work on my 2017 Sti? I wanna lower my car slightly but would like to have that Oem look and reliability.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Would these springs work on my 2017 Sti? I wanna lower my car slightly but would like to have that Oem look and reliability.
It will work but i recommend you to get a 2017 STi specific JDM STi pink springs to match your 2017 struts/shocks same drop as the 2018's pink springs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts