IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040204005111&newsLang=en

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 4, 2004--Big, bold gestures, ultra-smooth moves and out-of-the-box innovation are just some of the indelible attributes that make each category winner of the 2004 Drivers' Choice Awards a standout. From PBS's MotorWeek, America's longest-running automotive magazine show and the nation's most trusted source for industry information, this year's batch of winners yields a baker's dozen of hot cars and trucks.

As "Best Performance Car," the Subaru Impreza WRX Sti has the all-wheel drive, balanced chassis and high-performance brakes that can manage one of the world's top road rally racing brands, and at a price that is less than most people pay for a sport-utility vehicle.

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Anyone read the 1/4 miles times they got in the road test? 13.8 for both cars. They also talked about bogging the launch which probably goes to show how important it is to launch these AWD cars properly at the track for a better 1/4 mile time.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, their whole review is pretty sucky, actually.

The Evo makes "big power from as low as 3,000 rpm"? Hello? Did they actually drive the car? The Evo has lots of things, but one thing it most emphatically doesn't have is low-end torque.

They mention the STi's peak torque is at 4,000 rpm, then later say: "Gear ratios are perfectly spaced, to keep the engine in its 6-to-7,000 rpm sweet spot all through the run." Um, guys? If peak torque is at 4,000 rpm, the sweet spot should contain the 4k rpm mark, no? 6-7k rpm is well past the STi's sweet spot. It's gasping for air at that point.

And those 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are the slowest I've seen reported...but given their knowledge of the power bands and their launch technique description ("really slip the ... clutch"), that's not too surprising.

And while I'm griping... Although I enjoy the show, could John Davis possibly have a more affected, obnoxious, AM-radio style delivery? It's all I can do to make it through a show without screaming. And Goss's Garage? He obviously knows his stuff, and I don't who's fault it is, but the segments on the show are so superficial they're a waste of on-air time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts