IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone this is my first post on here been saving money for an WRX or STI for quite sometime now and I am looking to purchase one in about a month or 2. I am currently on my parents insurance plan with AAA and for my 04 Ford Ranger and it is about $1300 a year for my insurance (been driving for almost 5 years with a perfect record :tup:) I gave AAA a call to get a quote on our family insurance plan for a 11' STI sedan and my rate would go from 1300 to 2600 a year (This is for full coverage, $1000 deductible, 50k each person/100k each occurrence/25k each occurrence: property damage). The representative told me the collision rate was why the insurance per year was so costly. My parents currently pay my car insurance and told me to look around for better quotes or a different car :(. I've been looking around forums to see what others are getting but many people's posts aren't too detailed so I wanted to get some direct feedback from some people.

I am determined to get this car! test drove a friends and absolutely loved it and the community for subarus is top notch and something I want to be apart of. So what are my options?

I am going to call around to different insurance companies this weekend to get quotes but I can only assume it is going cost me more than the $2600 rate from AAA. My family gets a multi-policy discount, multi-vehicle, persistency, good driver x4, and other minor discounts but they all add up and I wouldn't get many of those with a different insurance company.

Please shoot me some insurance companies that would be worth to give a call and/or ideas on what to do. I am am looking for an STI for about $30k, under 30k miles, and plan on payments of about $300 a month/5 years.

I have contemplated getting a hatchback (heard the rate might be cheaper) or even a WRX instead of the STI.

Any feedback is much appreciated! :):tup::tup:

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Under 25 you're going to get violated by every insurance company. A clean record definitely helps! WRX should be cheaper to insure than the STI, but I never compared the 2 when I was shopping for mine. Taking any driver education course may help a small amount, as well.

Companies to talk to...? All of them. Seriously. I'd also get higher limits than 50/100/25 (does that include uninsured motorist?). My personal minimum is 100/300/100 for liability and 100/300/50 for uninsured motorist.

And, of course, welcome to IWSTI. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!
yeah my uninsured motorist is 30/60/30 i believe.

Ill give AAA a call and see what the rates are for a WRX hatch/sedan as well as the STI hatch. Are the classes you can take offered through insurance companies?....

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
AAA will be hard to beat. Every time I shop around I am looking at a higher rate than I have with AAA. Their discounts save me about $1000 a year.

Give it a couple years and the rate will come down. I am 27, have a good record and pay $1550/year for two vehicles and two drivers with AAA.

I stick with them because they give me a professional discount for being an engineer, a multi for the two cars and another for my home owners insurance, good driver, garage parking, verified mileage and a couple others I can not remember.

Good luck

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you have parents or grandparents who served in the military, check out USAA. I am 29 and I pay $150 for full coverage on my 2011 STI. 2009 WRX and 2008 Rav4. Deductible is $250 and I'm carrying 100/300/100.

Like others have said, 25 is the magic number, but definitely shop around! When I got off my parents policy at age 20, I actually saved a significant amount with another company because they were trying to entice new customers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just got off the phone with a AAA rep he told me with a clean record, garaged, 5 year membership, good driver discount, and good student discount im at roughly $1971 on my own plan and only a $20-30 per year difference with an STI vs a WRX. Their computers don't have a difference with sedans/hatches either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah its going to be like that I'm 23 and my payments are $280 100/300/100 and UM.. it sucks but just the way it is... But really like SubieEngineer said get UM it really saved me when a drunk driver hit me :(

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Definitely hike the UM. I didnt used to carry it, got sideswiped by a girl carrying 10k in coverage and had to pay a shade tree mechanic to do the best he could for 10K. Came out alright but the car was definitely not right.

Now I carry max limits and a $1M umbrella policy to take care of anything else life throws.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I got my wrx at 21, I put my mom on the title and insurance under her name to help me out. I got quoted $300 a month by myself. With her it was $140, I paid her the amount monthly. Only her and I were covered. A year after I bought my STi, I am paying only $160 a month. I am 23 now. Give Progressive a try, they were the cheapest out there with really good full coverage. Geico and the other companies were trying to rape me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
23, living in Miami, FL. Insurance through Geico. 165 per month for 100/300 with a 500 deductible. No UM coverage though. If you get into an accident and the other person doesn't have insurance can't you still file a claim with your insurance for repairs or total loss claim?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Some of these posts are useless, I think it would help the OP to identify your coverages and not just focusing how much you are paying.

I'm 25 and paying about $125/month through progressive
Have 100/300 for body/property and uninsured
$500 ded

·
Registered
883 Posts
Don't scrimp on coverage, bad shit happens to good people as others have attested. And with insurance, it is all about the lowest settlement and no one will be looking out for you unless you look out for yourself so don't try to lower premiums by reducing coverage levels.

It is late and I may be slow, but a 30k STi and payments of $300/mo for 60 mos doesn't make for good math.

Sent from my HTC Amaze using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to mention I am putting down almost 14k as my down payment sorry to leave that out. Thanks for the advice guys looks like i got some research to do! :tup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Apparently Liberty Mutual has some sort of arrangement with Subaru...they're under the impression that Subaru drivers are safer so you'll get a better rate.

If you're tired of doing the leg work...go thru a broker. Let them know what you have and what you're looking for...they'll pull some quotes for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the amount that you're putting down on the car itself has nothing to do with the insurance rate.
the best price that you're going to get is generally going to be better on your parents policy because they usually have better/established credit and established insurance history, and like you said multi veh discounts etc.

but in the event of a major accident where you can get sued, your parents also share liability.

many different factors come into play for insurance so just to say age alone for comparison wouldn't really do you any good. different coverages offered in different states, some are mandatory and some are not, different limits... etc

credit score is also another thing that most people don't realize affects your premium.
and also check through your dealership when you shop around to see if $1k deductible is even acceptable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
USAA or Progressive all the way. . im 21 got quoted like $209 on progressive and like right under $200 with USAA. .so if you have usaa get on it. . if not progressive is the way to go in my opinion. .but you know what they say about those . . as said before call all of them get out a pen and paper and compare!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts