IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Closer dealership

Does anybody know anything about Buying a foreign STi. I found a site where you can buy a Skyline from Japan and they will ship it over for you. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or knows of a place where I can get more information on importing one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
if you want to pay $125,000 then ya import one. if not and youre human, then wait. they have to import two of them (so ive heard) and crash one and make sure that it will pass US DOT crash tests, if you personally know an importer you may be able to skip that step and get two skylines or STi's. one obviously cannot be registered and you'd have to forge some documentation for legality, but w/ all the BS that goes on in this country id hope you could get away with it. the only reason i say DONT import one is b/c it will take about as long to legally get it here as it will for a US spec STi to get here, and i bet you'll NEVER get that thing to be as good as either a JDM or NA model.... it has to be gutted and put back together by non-subaru employees. i personally would only do that myself, b/c if someone else fuked it up theyd say its b/c its not a US spec car and tough luck. importers arent here to help you get a car, they're here to rip you the fuk off.

not bitchin, and not sayin its a bad idea either, but the cash involved....thats a porsche 911 carerra, need i say ANYTHING else. if youre just a subie junkie then i say rock on grab that bitch and waste the money.

maybe that crap about importing two is BS but i know they have to crash a similar JDM model car to make sure that it will pass the "stringent" US crash tests.

if you are going to go down the importing path, i say grab a US spec WRX, gut the drivetrain and drop in a STi's, it would be cheaper and MUCH easier to get legal. an STi RA motor w/ ac is $10000, the tranny w/ FLSD (front limited slip diff) and DCCD (driver controlled center diff) is $7000. you just saved a $80,000. ill look around and see if there is a full STi conversion kit w/ ECM and all related parts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
NO!!!! Motorex has a 2001 R34 GTR Vspec II with only 120 (not 120,000) miles on it for $95,500 right now. Or you can get a Tommy Kaira edition or the Nismo 400R(when in stock), or just take the "bare bones" to Signal auto (recently set up shop in US) for a 2.8 stroker 700 HP daily driver. They have ads in magazines where you can get a R32 GTR for 28,000. Right now they have a '93 R32 GTR for $38,000 with 35,000 miles on it. They also can hook you up with someone to insure it as well. I actually just heard today (don't think that it was a very reputable source) that Motorex has just imported there first JDM STi. They are http://www.skylineGTR.com , or http://www.motorex.netanyways, importing is not as bad as Some People make it out to be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know it is blasphemous to eve post this here, but I do not htink it would be all that expensive to import the STI here. I am basing this on some info I have found for importing an EVO7. If you go to this link: http://www.evolutionimports.net/ you will find a company importing EVO7's and converting them to US street legal for 45,500. I do not think that is too bad (except you are getting a mitsubishi). I have also seen one other company importing the EVO at similar costs. Unfortunately I can not remember that link. Hey this place even gives you a one year warranty.
But alas, I have not seen anyone providing this service with STI's.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yoda: "...the boy has no patience."

Obi-Wan: "he will learn patience..."

Agent Chobos: "That's right, Ben. But I guess some people are willing to pay an extra $15,000 credits over the price of the speeder just to have it a year before everyone else. Sure they'll have something no one else has, but they still have to learn to fly it from the wrong side of the cockpit..."

Come on, guys! Why would you want to import one when it's coming anyway? You really can't wait that long?

Patience, grasshopper...

·
Registered
22 Posts
The new issue of Sport Compact Car had an ad for Skylines here in the US, only $25K or something like that. I wonder if anyone actually looks into how available the parts are here in America, and how much it would cost to fix the car if something went wrong.

I keep reading about how one can own a Ferrari 308 GT-whatever for about $30K. I'd jump on it in a second if it weren't for the cost of keeping up a 10+ year-old Italian sports car.

-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts