IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not heard many comments on how the STi handles at top speeds with stock set-up.

I only have 405 miles and have taken it easy for the most part.

Any surprises I should be aware of since this is my first AWD?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
We went up to 140-145 mph, and it was very stable even with crosswinds. I am not an aerodynamist, but I opinion is that I cannot imagine 4WD playing a major role in this; it is more up to mechanical grip and aerodynamics, which I am greatful to the big dinner table on the trunk :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
right at 3,000 miles of smiles now and just installed my V-1 radar locator.

The STi at uhm, higher speed = "rocket sled on rails". Yes, that's it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
inxs said:
got my v-1 for xmas makes cruising a little more fun
Thanks for the responses.

Just trying to look down the road so to speak. Once this baby is payed off I would like to fuel it for 650 est HP. So I am hoping the STi will be a good foundation to build on.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
STight said:
inxs said:
got my v-1 for xmas makes cruising a little more fun
Thanks for the responses.

Just trying to look down the road so to speak. Once this baby is payed off I would like to fuel it for 650 est HP. So I am hoping the STi will be a good foundation to build on.
ummm.... Well, I am not sure exactly what you have in mind, but we are scheduled to receive a customer Evo 8 this month that will be pushing 600 whp. Our initial calculations show that there needs to be roughly $20K of just chassis upgrades to be able to accommodate such engine power on that chassis. The STi chassis has similarities to the Evo. These cars are not built for that type of power of out the factory. Just like any other car, they require everything to be upgraded, not just the engine :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had mine up to 135 (man does it get there quick) and it felt very stable...and I had my wingless trunk on. Might not have been the brightest idea to go that fast without the wing, but I am still here.

To be honest, I don't feel much of a difference in the car with the wing or wingless trunk when I'm going fast in a straight line. I can definitely feel it in the corners though, even at 70mph. The ass feels really light with the wing off in corners. But then again, that's why I have a trunk for the track and a trunk for the daily driving (i dont like the wing).

And yes, I am a moron who owns 2 trunks... :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FP, that is so depressing. I have always wanted an extreme AWD car.

Why $20,000 for the chassis work?

Hmm...just going to sit back and think about this for a while..

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
STight said:
FP, that is so depressing. I have always wanted an extreme AWD car.

Why $20,000 for the chassis work?

Hmm...just going to sit back and think about this for a while..
Over the years, I've spoken to many people who had thoughts of adding 100, 200, or even 300 whp for as little as (yes, it is relative :)) $6K-7K. But you really have to think about the entire vehicle, not just the engine.

1- Brakes. How do you think of stoping with a vehicle that rockets to 130 mph in less than 12 seconds. If you do it once or twice, most cars can handle with stock brakes. But if you are on a track (as our Evo customer wants to be) going at extreme velocities and slowing down from one corner to another, you will definetly need something special. Rule of thumb, you have to have at least 3-4 times the braking torque available at any time as you have accelaration torque. Those brakes for a 550-600 hp/trq cost a lot of money :)

2- If you do upgrade the brakes, do you know that the under-chassis will handle the stress? We have not run any structural analyses on the Evo or STi, but I highly doubt that in a $30K car. Just looking under the car and seeing many of the rubber bushings and relatively thin connectors, I would not think twice but change all of it. That is some serious money in itself depending on how much you change.

3- How are you going to keep such enourmously powered car on the road? The stock suspension on these vehicles can handle drag races with those powers, but not track duties. Some serious money is required just to get appropriate suspension components.

4- Obviously wheel and tires have to be changed as well. We will be going 18x9.5" rims on the Evo, but I have doubts even on those, and it will dictate suspension modifications.

5- Bolt-on roll cage should be standard item, I'd even put a fire supression system too in case our customer collects the Turbo coming from the air vents :)

Etc, etc.

At the end, if you want to be safe, you end up with a race car :D $20K for such modifications is really on the low side and we will be cutting some corners. Is it not weird how much more it costs to get a $6K engine upgrade ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
STi, i was having some fun with guy who though he was tough shits in a porsche yesterday afternoon on the local hghway, and I hit 135 and roasted him on the turns, this car is amazing at high speeds, i never felt unstable at all it only felt like the car wanted to go faster. I love this car, we are all very lucky to own this automotive wonder. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats good stuff FT.

The reason I am having a hard time with this is because I am storing an 88 Mustang fueled for 550hp that has pulled road coarse and drag strip duties. I only dropped about $40K for mods. That 40K went a long way.

No big deal...Maybe by the time my cars payed off the economy of scales will present more opportunty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts