IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the STi a hard car to learn to use a manual transmission on? I've never driven one before, and I'm confident I can learn, but I wouldnt wanna get an STi just to find out its a bad learner's car. Is it easy to mis-shift and all that kind of stuff? Anyone here learn on an STi? Any tips? Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
buy an old Civic first..............thrash that and THEN get an STi :wink:

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Why so many of people trying to learn a manual on a performance car like the STi? I agree with AussieBorn, learn on an old civic or something like that.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Personally, I thought it was easy to find the wrong gear at first, and my wife kept finding 5th instead of 3rd. However, she was smooth with it in minutes while it took me a couple hours to get real comfortable with it, but I hadn't driven a stickshift in 4 years.

Personally, I would hate to see someone learning on the STi. I agree about getting something old and thrashing it and then getting a nicer car like the STi.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
No, the STi wouldn't be hard to learn on: it's got lots of torque and an easy clutch. The point the others are trying to make is that learning can be hard on the vehicle.

If you want an STi, but can't drive a stick, I'd suggest trying to find someone with a less precious vehicle to give you the first couple of lessons. But if you're careful, learning on the STi shouldn't cause permanent damage--just a little premature clutch wear, perhaps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea... to bad no one in my family has a car w/ a manual trans :( .. oh well... i think i would have been able to get away with it on my mom's a4.. but... she got the auto...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think the biggest issue with the STi is that things happen fast when you hit the gas. When you're learning to drive a stick, you don't have the instinct and experience to use the pedals quickly. You kind of have to think about your moves and it's not smooth. Learn this on a slower car first, then move up to the STi when you can conquer the steep hill starts etc. in a stick.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I learned in a 1967 boxer. My mom's VW bug in 1979. My advice is to buy something with all of the depreciation out of it and learn to grind the gears. I still got first when I was aiming at 3rd in my STi running solo I. You have to hit the clutch again FAST...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldn't worry about learning shifting on the STi. I would worry more if it's your first car with serious power.

It's like a delicate beautiful woman. You can pound on it and think you are "da man", but if you don't respect it (along with the laws of physics) you will get into trouble eventually. If I was to let my own son drive one, I'd require him to take a dozen lessons with an instructor at the track - I believe this speeds up maturity behind the wheel.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I learned stick on my STi and it wan't bad at all. However, I have driven my brother's manual tranny cars in the past (i.e, RX7, Supra and S4) and was able to get the dyanmics down before learning on the STi.I had maybe about 4 episodes of "stinky" clutch when I didn't let up fast enough. However, even most experienced stick shifters experienced the stinky clutch phenomena on the STi. Now 6 months later, I am rowing through the gears no problem. The only shift that felt akward for me at first was 2nd to 3rd under hard acceleration ( which I missed a couple times at first).

·
Registered
376 Posts
READ it... it says STI

if i were you i would as a friend with a beat up car (and someones who doesn't really care about it...) to learn on his first. ask him if you can drive it like an hour or 2 a week so you can get a good feel for it, THEN practice on the sti...

i had a friend who got a new wrx and didnt know how to drive a stick....3 months later he needed a new clutch real bad.....he didn't know he was killing his clutch, and thought he was driving it normally....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm... sounds good... i think id rather learn on a friends car then go drop a wad of cash for a car a can beat to hell then sell a month later (especially if it gets fooked). btw, i plan on taking the Audi Triving Experience program at Sebring. sounds like good fun, plus the class is taught on 4wd cars, albeit with less power than the STi. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you're going to learn stick on your friend's car, you'd better be ready to let him drive your STi when you get one... Could you, would you, will you? ;-)

As long as you are mindful of what the car can/will do and be careful of how you speed / brake, it will be just fine to learn stick driving on an STi. I went through the learning curve myself on an STi and did not have any issue. The 1000-mile break-in period kept me reasonable & safe. (Disregard this if you are a novice driver, but I suspect you've been driving a while already?)

-Rich

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for replies...

Well I too would prefer learning it on the beat up car but the STi's clutch and tranny should be able to handle a week of abuse. I learned to drive a stick on my dad's Evo VI with a worn out clutch and let me tell you, that clutch is unforgiving, especially when I was driving it on the streets with all those eyes staring at the car and I stalled. :oops:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also learned how to drive stick on my STi, though I had a couple of lessons on my friends civic si first. Can't say it was easy learning on a 4wd vehicle with so much power, but it can be done. First couple of days with the car there will be alot of bucking and some stalling, but you'll get it eventually.

After 2 months with the car I still get a bit nervous on a steep hill and some jerk is tailgating me. I can honestly say that I know how to drive a manual now, but driving it well is another matter, so I'm still learning.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i too learned to drive the STi without knowing how to really drive stick. with the exception of only a few miles behind the wheel of 2 differant toyota corollas. personally i found it to be really easy to get the feel for the clutch...perhaps too easy. Getting moving is the hardest part but i had the hang of it in an afternoon. shifting into second is easy. the shift to 3rd was tricky but since the shifter automatically centers itself all it really takes is a gentle nudge upward. reverse is a bit tricky but it too gets easier with time. as far as the 300 horsepower go. its there, but since you have to go through a break-in period you'll shift before 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles. which helps keep you out of trouble. the first day i had my STi i had my sister sit in the passenger seat for a few laps around the block so she could coach me. i had a slight problem letting the clutch out slowly enough. all in all, i found the clutch and shifting in the STi to be far easier to learn than the clutch in an old corolla. so if you're thinking about the STi as the car to learn stick on, go for it. cars are not sacred, the are meant to be driven and can be repaired. DISCLAIMER: as many of you are aware i crashed my STi the first night i was out and about. there were many factors involved, one of which was a botched shift from 2nd to 3rd. its really easy to get cocky in the STi once you get the hang of shifting. that is one thing that i can say for certain. just take it easy until you feel really comfortable shifting. if you're still looking at the shifter to see what gear you're in than keep practicing. learning to drive stick is by far one of the best things i have ever done and its easier than i thought.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"go for it!" says the guy who learned stick on his sti and crashed it the first night out :lol: . j/k man.. yea, thats what i was kind of thinking, cars are meant to be driven, and it sounds like the STi can handle a newb for a few times out :D . Anyways, I think i already have a pretty good idea of how to do everything. I was able to ride and shift a motorcycle quite well the first time I tried, because I had thought about it a lot beforehand. (I know a car and a motorcycle arent very similar in the motions.. but its the same concept, clutch shift gas, etc)

·
Banned
54 Posts
rjhang said:
If you're going to learn stick on your friend's car, you'd better be ready to let him drive your STi when you get one... Could you, would you, will you? ;-)

As long as you are mindful of what the car can/will do and be careful of how you speed / brake, it will be just fine to learn stick driving on an STi. I went through the learning curve myself on an STi and did not have any issue. The 1000-mile break-in period kept me reasonable & safe. (Disregard this if you are a novice driver, but I suspect you've been driving a while already?)

-Rich
No not your friends car---go get a rental for $20 bucks fo rthe day. Have your friend or parents get it for you if your not old enough :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wheels for the STi

uhhhh.... dont you have to be 21 to drive the rentals? i think its most places' policy or something. and im pretty sure that with most rental companies, when u rent the car, you have to write down the names of anyone who might drive it, so..... not sure if that would work

1 - 20 of 26 Posts