IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new fuel filter for my car and wanted to post some detailed pictures. Surprisingly, the actual STI fuel filter can actually be disassembled to retrieve just the filter element. I don't understand why they don't sell just the filter element (unless I am in the dark and this info has been published). I ordered the usual part number for this item which includes an entire new can ...

It was clear that I could twist-unlock the top white plastic section from the lower metal portion. I did this ...

The center cartridge pulls right out ...

I think it's gay that Subaru charges you over $60 for this entire item when all we really need is the center cartridge.

For all of the pics, visit ...
www.bescaredracing.com - /sti/fuel/filter/

t

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd like to see pictures of the old filter once you remove it with and without the filter media unrolled. Let us know the mileage you removed it at. The service manual describes how to open the filter for inspection and replace if it appears clogged:
http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/STi_Manual/02.%20ENGINE%20SECTION%20(STi)/01.%20FUEL%20INJECTION%20(FUEL%20SYSTEMS)/26.%20Fuel%20Filter.pdf

I agree that Subaru should just sell a replacement cartridge. I think that are trying to makeup revenue lost from the shorter replacement interval from the older canister in-line filters. They gave us a filter that supposedly lasts twice as long and cost more than twice as much. Service interval on this is listed at 60K.

·
Registered
575 Posts
be careful putting that back together, i recently had a problem with my car. i was driving home from work one night and all of a sudden while pressing on the gas pedal the vehicle would back fire and run rough and as soon as i would let off the pedal it would idle fine for 30 seconds and then run rough and die out, checked for air,fuel leaks any loose lines and found nothing, i could still hear the fuel pump comming on (walbro255lph) so i ended up pulling out the sending unit anyways and found that the O-ring seal on the fuel filter had popped out a bit, removed it and resealed and the vehicle ran great afterwards, ended up buying and installing a new fuel filter to make me feel a little better. I think the possible cause was the walbro fuel pump considering i had never messed with the fuel filter before, but just thought i would share

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
What's even more crazy Tom, is I read this thread.

:lol:

*sigh*

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Looks like a filter. Hell, we are lucky that we actually don't have to buy the whole damn FP assembly. Try changing a fuel filter in a Hyundai. ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
be careful putting that back together, i recently had a problem with my car. i was driving home from work one night and all of a sudden while pressing on the gas pedal the vehicle would back fire and run rough and as soon as i would let off the pedal it would idle fine for 30 seconds and then run rough and die out, checked for air,fuel leaks any loose lines and found nothing, i could still hear the fuel pump comming on (walbro255lph) so i ended up pulling out the sending unit anyways and found that the O-ring seal on the fuel filter had popped out a bit, removed it and resealed and the vehicle ran great afterwards, ended up buying and installing a new fuel filter to make me feel a little better. I think the possible cause was the walbro fuel pump considering i had never messed with the fuel filter before, but just thought i would share
After searching for countless hours it seems like this one is a closer match to my problem.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
not to mean to hi jack this thread and sorry for the stupid question, but where is this filter located? is it inside the fuel tank?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts