IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charged Performance is currently in the process of introducing a new branded product from Aquamist and Chip Torque called AquaXEDE. In the coming weeks we will be installing them on area STi's to show how the addition of water injection as a knock suppressing tuing tool can provide you with improved performance tuning opportunities.

AquaXEDE is ChipTorque's engine management solution already proven on the STi bundled with an Aquamist 2d water injection system. The package can not and will not be unbundled.

In addition to the engine management package and the Aquamist standard system 2d this offering will include Charged Performance's exclusive no drill mounting bracket and intercooler jet hose as well as a pressure accumulator and a circuit to retain your intercooler sprayer. Protection from a water shortage is also included along with other diagnostic LEDs.

Proto-type bracket with accumulator and external intercooler spray soleniod:

The final product will be powdercoated.

Water injection jet intercooler hose:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am interested in this system for my new STI, but a little weary since it seems so new. Strange for this forum I know, but I am actually interested in bettering my gas milage (a performance map would be welcome as well).

When would an STI bundled version be out for sale?

So this gizmo would also automate control of the IC sprayer according to engine parameters (boost, IC temp...etc)?

Where is Charged Performance in the country? Any affliates out in the pacific northwest?

What systems are in place to safe guard against the water injector going out and the Xede continuing with its program. Any uncoupling would result in imediate detonation problems and possible castatrophe. I guess you would want the manangement map to default back to OEM ECU it the Aquamist went south.

Forgive me if I am to ignorant of how all this works; I'm new to tuning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think everyone of us that has driven the STi are interested in better gas mileage! Went on a 1400 mile road trip with other Subaru owners over the New Year and the STi's needing to stop every 225 miles was wearing on some of them. For those who think the STi is too Americanized I ask where is my 300 mile per tank range? :)

We are located in northern NJ right across the river from NYC (with the best views of NYC!). While I do know some people in the Pacific Northwest I would not describe any of the relationships as having reached the point of a business affiliation.

I would expect regular availability, after local area introduction is done, to begin in late February or early March.

The operation of the external intercooler sprayer would remain on the momentary manual switch with this design and set up. Automation of the sprayer is not part of the package. The water injection system would be integrated into the water flow of the sprayer, but the switch would continue to operate as it does and the intercooler spray would be supplied via the solenoid seen above with the purple relay. To the user it would be essentially invisible from an intercooler spray perspective.

The primary safe guard is a boost cut circuit. If the existing water level sensor in the STi resevoir shows a low water condition while the WI system was enabled for operation boost would be cut so that it could not exceed the wastegate spring pressure. A manual panic switch (that can be cut any time) could also be integrated into this boost cut if any of the monitoring indicators showed a problem with the WI system the driver would be able to cut boost in an instant. While AquaXEDE could theorectically change maps on the fly since there is no rpm limiter to the map switch - it does take a second to switch maps and it would not be advisable while the engine speed is in any load site that is modifying signals. As a result many of the system monitors are not fully automated on response though any of them could be integrated into the boost cut. Enabling or disabling the WI system while at low engine speeds would switch the AquaXede between a WI and nonWI tune.

Your questions are all valid and should be answered by any WI vendor you ask. You should also visit our WI forum and read our paper on WI for more information. Those usually provide many answers to many FAQ - but also frequently generate even harder questions once someone has done a bit of research on the subject. My best customers are those who are reasonably skeptical, do their research and arrive at independent conclusions.

I hope this response has helped answer some of your questions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ed thanks for the speedy reply. I have spent the better part of the last 4 hours educating myself about water injection. The historical precedent for using it runs much deeper than I imagined, going back to WWII aircraft. I also enjoyed learning that it is in wide use on Ford trucks (what are there 10 Ford trucks for every WRX or STI)

I also learned that I am not the only one with fears of a tricked-out motor going boom becuase the water jet gets plugged or the tank runs out. Thanks for addressing it in your response, and it seems that many safeguards have been put in place to rectify that issue.

On to more questions. Xede seems to be made by a reputable Australian outfit and I assume that this combination of Aquamist and Xede retains all the abilities of the standard Xede unit (?). Could you say a little more about what you know about any tuning that has been done with the Xede module and the US spec WRX STI? Are we talking existing maps are out there for download, tweaking, etc.

I am quite sure that your "hands on" expertise does not extend from NJ/NY to Seattle, but I did find interesting that a Rally Shop near here, CascaseAutoSports has extensive experience installing Aquamist. I can't imagine its too much of a leap forward to incorporate engine management for them--A novice, needs a teacher.

http://www.cascadeautosport.com/fabrication/waterinjection.html

I am considering WI as introductory modification coupled with possibly changing out the turbo for one that can sustain more boost and a new downpipe to drain the turbo better. (I am still learning about the stock VF39 turbo, so it may not need to be changed out) I am not looking for giant gains in power, but something on the order of 25-35% increase in HP. For me, that increase is quite a bit, bringing HP at the crank to nearly 400. What do you think of that combo as an "alternative" Stage 1 bump up?

I think that WI sounds like an elegant way to cope with increased knock potential and will lower the exhaust gas temp in a single mod, thus lower heat. That cooling will increase the long term reliability of the engine and the turbo--even when running at higher boost. Not to mention it's less expensive than an $1600 FMIC install to offset knock trouble. I also like the idea that leaning out the fuel even under stock boost levels. It will save on fuel$$ during daily trips-->then boom, change the map to mo' boost and pow! you're running safely at 18 or 20 psi. Weeeeeeee!

Now that is a great modification: one that is flexible, reliable, fuel efficient, and safe--AND can give you blinding speed. Bring it on.

I'm starting to sound like your publicist.....we need to get this hyped in the main Powertrain threads.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The AquaXede is a rebranded Xede unit that is bundled by Aquamist with their systems. They operate identically.

The majority of STi tuning with the Xede has been performed at Vishnu. There are a few others (two of which are in the PNW) who have received Xede units and done their own tuning. At this time there is not a public database of maps.

Cascade definitely is likely to be able tune for WI. Xede is very user friendly and I am sure they could master its controls quickly. I support my products post-sale and would be more than glad to discuss their use with you or your selected tuner at any time. E-mail is best for clarity but a call on short topics works as well.

This bundle is more akin to a more enabled engine management tool, you could put it with any combination of someone's bolt-on stages and it would be like enhancing that stage. Certainly this bundle with a catless downpipe would likely leave you very pleased.

Definitely can avoid the costs (both monetarily and backpressure) of using a FMIC or aftermarket TMIC. A tuner in England injecting before a TMIC ran back to back to back dyno runs without an IC fan and the IC stayed cool to the touch - whether injected before or after the IC the induction charge will be sufficiently cooled with the OEM IC and water injection. (One accidental run without WI and the IC was almost glowing and took 10 min. of running water to cool it back off.)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I posted a question on the Sti Performance Electronics technical bboard about WI and higher octane fuel. Will the stock ECU 'learn' to take advantage of higher octane fuel by raising boost, leaning fuel, etc. Then ask the a second question on WI having the same effect, thus resulting in better mileage and more efficient engine, but perhaps not necessarily more hp. Curious about your take on that. It's not Xede specific question though.javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Octane only affects timing learning - if the computer doesn't see knock it will advance timing to its maximum setting.

Closed loop fuel control will learn fuel trims to maintain good emmissions fueling for idle to light cruise conditions, but octane doesn't affect this learning. Open loop doesn't have any learning that I am aware it runs pig rich no matter how good the octane is.

Boost is closed loop target but will not be affected by octane that I am aware of.

On the stock ECU the most you will get from WI is the timing learning likely will go to max from not seeing knock. For such an implementation a very small amount of water should be injected.

To use WI optimally you would need a mechanism that leans fuel.

Now if we had a neat feature that some Saabs have where they run as lean as optimal until EGTs rise then they start dumping fuel - WI could work with that computer since the EGTs would be lower the computer would never go to the high EGT fuel settings.

I don't know of any stock ECUs that will adjust boost for octane.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts