IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a 10 hour drive, i found that...

so i went to a subie dealer and saw my very first sti (blue/silver)...very nice....well, i talked to a dealer and he said that the evo had a 3mph crumple zone and when they hit anything it would destroy their carborator...hence, you would have to buy a new one....then he said the sti had a 5 mph crumple zone...is he right? when he told me this, i was thinking he was b.s.ing me....i didnt like the dealer, he said bmw's were garbage :(

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
"carborator" (sic)?? no he's not right: the evo doesn't have a carburetor. dunno about the sti crumple zone though; sorry.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Since there isn't a carb on the EVO, and hasn't been on many cars made in the last 10 years or more, I'd say that sales rep doen't have a clue.

However, I do believe that the EVO has a weaker bumper and that is the reason it cannot be sold in Canada.

I have heard the STI is based on a safer chassis and tweaked to be fast where as the EVO is a fast chassis tweaked for safety.

-Lance

·
Registered
541 Posts
He probably meant "radiator".

And actually, the Evo is a Lancer chassis tweaked to be an Evo. The Lancer is about as far as you can get from a "fast" chassis, initially at least...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Cosmetic mod help plz...(sill plates & dead pedal)

Agent Chobos said:
He probably meant "radiator".
yeah, i figured. but that begs the question: who is "he"? the dealer or GoatPunishment. :) i suspect the former.

·
Registered
26 Posts
IIHS and other testing shows the Subie to be pretty good in crashes. I have not checked the Mitsubishi, but I bet it is crap in those tests.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Aren't 5 mph no-damage bumpers federal law?? If this wasn't the case, every time we even get 'tapped' we would be replacing bumpers.

T

·
0 Posts
That is correct, the EVO did not pass the 8 km/hr bumper crash test therefore was not allowed to be sold in Canada.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Okay, here's what he meant.

1st) He's a dork and didn't pay attention to ANYTHING when he went to the Subaru Ride and drive.

2nd) What he's talking about is the bumpers, not the crumple zones. Crumple zones are designed to distribute the crash forces evenly throughout the car in a heavy impact. Bumpers to absorbe the small stuff.

3rd) The difference is this, the fed's only require a 2.5mph bumper on both the front and rear of any passenger car. The Evo has that 2.5mph bumper. The intercooler, whice is located directly in the center of that 2.5mph bumper, is the part he was talking about. The replacement cost of that intercooler is $715 before labor costs as well, incase anyone cares. The STi, however, and all other Imprezas have an upgraded 5mph bumper that fares MUCH better in small front bumps. You must note that the average car idles forward at a speed of between 3 and 4 mph. Not so good on a FMI.

I appologise for the ignorance of that "Subaru Sales Rep." as he is not representing SOA very well. I also appologise for my dump anology of the I/C spray to a radiator in a different thread, for anyone that read it.

;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts