IW STi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I’m new here and a 2020 STI owner. Previously owned a 2019. I recently had an issue with “ sea foam” cylinder lubricant. My car has roughly 11,500 miles on it and I’m trying to keep it in the best condition. Bone stock zero modifications. Both camshaft sprocket sensors tripped and the dealership was about to replace the camshaft sprocket. Turns out after I tried to replicate the sensor trip it was seafoam throwing off the fuel mixture in my STI. Got a clean take of fuel no addititives and she has been running fine ever since. 5th day now no issues and no sensors tripped or check engine light. Premium fuel from day one. But now minus any seafoam additives. I use to put it in every other tank . Thought I would give a heads up.
Any thoughts??

·
Registered
292 Posts
One bottle treats up to 25 gallons, and Seafoam recommends using it every 3k miles in cars and trucks, so you probably had severe fuel dilution.

Personally I'm not a believer of Seafoam. If you really want to blow your mind, Google 'bitog TC-W3'. I couldn't believe what I was reading but people on that site are believers, and so am I. Have observed a 2-3 mpg increase even with mostly stop and go city driving.

Doing 500:1 right now. Will compare to 640:1 and see what my car likes. I know, sounds like nonsense but it'll all make sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One bottle treats up to 25 gallons, and Seafoam recommends using it every 3k miles in cars and trucks, so you probably had severe fuel dilution.

Personally I'm not a believer of Seafoam. If you really want to blow your mind, Google 'bitog TC-W3'. I couldn't believe what I was reading but people on that site are believers, and so am I. Have observed a 2-3 mpg increase even with mostly stop and go city driving.

Doing 500:1 right now. Will compare to 640:1 and see what my car likes. I know, sounds like nonsense but it'll all make sense.
Thanks for the tip Brethren!

update: I guess I was wrong about the sea foam but also right? Maybe
I got lit up like a Christmas tree yesterday with the check engine light and confirmed code—

“ P000D B Camshft position slow response ( Bank 2) Cam shaft is responding slower than required”

This was seven days after dropping the sea foam on pure premium fuel. Air conditioning was on but the engine was not being abused. Just normal commuting.

Looks like it’s going into the shop. I do blame 225 heading north bound. Slammed my car on a nasty dip at about 60 mph. 1 hour later all mysensors and check engine light are lighting up. Now I have this issue.
Will update this week… Stay tuned :0

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update # 2

Fortunately car is covered under warranty. After replacing the camshaft sprocket, a faulty solenoid on bank 2 was found by the Subaru mechanic.
From what I understand this was not allowing the oil to circulate properly.
Since the solenoid was damaged I still belive it was the high way dip.
It’s been two weeks and not a single problem. Runs like a top. No fuel additives. No modifications. Lighted my STI up and it’s even quicker. More fuel efficient too! Haha I spent more money on sea foam and fuel cleaners than making my car lighter. I’m never giving my STI up. Ever.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
glad it's working well. ive never used any seafoam or additives. just 93 octane and i will use torco octane booster for track days (although not for power, just for the little extra knock resistance it provides), and never had an issue.

that said, making the car lighter aka weight reduction, is probably one of the most overlooked modifications in any car, it will make the car faster, reduce wear on tires/brakes, improve braking times and aid in cornering with the weight put on the suspension. huge improvements can be made with simple weight reduction.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

Im not a seafoam kind of guy either. Its probably helpful on an old piece of crap NA car with like super high mileage. I personally wouldnt do it on our cars. That TC-W3 thing is wild. I didnt know that was a thing honestly. Its sparked my curiosity but yet not enough info on it. I think i'll stick with good ole 93 at the pump lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Im not a seafoam kind of guy either. Its probably helpful on an old piece of crap NA car with like super high mileage. I personally wouldnt do it on our cars. That TC-W3 thing is wild. I didnt know that was a thing honestly. Its sparked my curiosity but yet not enough info on it. I think i'll stick with good ole 93 at the pump lol.
Haha crazy right. You can do it just for the reactions to pouring oil into the gas tank :LOL:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts