IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question about a STI??

I picked up my new Black w/silver STI from my dealership in Vermont last Thursday. I let them know that I was aware of detonation problems on some of the cars received in earlier weeks from SOA. Of course they knew nothing of these problems, but apparently called the tech line. They were going to fill the tank with mid grade gas from their pump, but upon my request filled her up with Sunoco 94.

First Impressions-

The Inside
The gauge cluster in spellbinding - it looks amazing at night and is set up very well. It would have been nice if the color (red/orange) was carried through to climate control and clock (green). The seats fit me very well (6-3 210 lbs) but are far too wide for anyone much smaller. The side bolsters could be bigger. They are relatively comfortable, I did a 7 hour drive yesterday with minimal fatigue. The steering wheel is very comfortable and sized perfectly as to not impair view of the aforementioned gauge cluster. The short shifter has a nice clean and precise throw, I have seen shorter but not many. I would have liked to see it set a little higher to shorten the stem. The shift knob is small for me and a little cheesy. I was worried out the blue interior but have been pleasantly surprised.

The Drive
You will have little trouble remembering where this car's roots are, the enormous hood scoop sitting just below your line of vision and the gigantic wing in the rearview do a pretty good job. Breaking in this car was difficult to say the least, you just start to feel what she can do at 4K. Needless to say I made it through the first 1000 miles with only a couple of 4000+ revs. 700 of the first 1000 miles were over mountain passes in the Green and White Mountains. It took about 300 miles for me to get confident enough in the suspension and tires to really push her. I was coming down the East side of the Kangamangus Highway into a decreasing radius cambered right. I came in hotter than I have ever done in my 325 iX, held the throttle and she sat through out the corner carrying a lot of speed out. Very impressed. You could feel a hint of the much pubilized understeer and body roll, but only when really pushed. The next day I took a rally over Evan's Notch in Maine following my buddy in a fully broken in Cooper S. Even while keeping her under 4K the STI kept pretty good pace although the Cooper "squirted" out of the corners. This will be alleviated once I have the revs to downshift. I finished up break in yesterday on some dirt road in VT. Reset the Shift light to 5K for the next 2000 miles and gave her a spin at higher revs. WOW - that's all.

My girlfriend's comments - The wing is ugly - Its a cute little car - The ride is not nearly as harsh as the 325 iX (H&R springs, Bilstein shocks) - please slow down, NOW - be careful

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice! Btw, you forgot to fix the front plate in your photo. :oops:

Wish I had thought of driving through the mountains to get over the 1000 mile mark. Instead, I drove a full circle around the Beltway in DC. :(

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Congrats!

Ya know, I never understood people taking their plates out of photos. Everyone that sees the car sees it....what's the big deal? Kinda like protecting you VIN number...it's right there for all to see.

You know....I've heard several people mention the lighting color differences in the clock and gauges. I think that'll be one of the first things I look at for a tech write-up....swapping out those LEDs. Should be pretty easy to do.

Congrats again...she's beautiful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah realized the plate number was still there after I posted. I really don't care, kind of just did it since its seems to be the cool thing to do. I am always looking for ways to be more cool.
:wink:

·
Registered
93 Posts
looks good in black, I had a black WRX...too much work to keep clean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
probably the dumb-ass dealer's name...

hate them for doing that...

Yup - that tag has since left the car, I was so psyched to drive I didn't notice until a day later. GRRR :x

Yeah having two black cars is a real pain, especially when you spend a lot of time on dirt roads. On a side note I got the STI sideways yesterday in a controlled slide on a banked gradual left with loose gravel :wink: She pulled right through, I can't wait for snow.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can't wait to find a cheap set of 17" wheels so I can mount winter-friendly tires. Then I can't wait for the snow! :)

Let's just say that high performance tires on a turbo Impreza will get you stuck a few times in a blizzard. Don't ask me how I know. :oops: (As if the RE070's will last till winter...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts