IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at many cars - would love an STi, but it would be my primary car. Do any owners have comments on making an STi a daily driver?

Has anyone outfitted one with snow tires? I'm in Michigan - Any STi experience in the ice and snow?

·
Registered
343 Posts
How do I launch???

As a daily driver, it all depends what you're used to. I miss my A4 on longer trips. But as a commuter, the STi is perfect for me—I always end up taking the long way home.

This will be the first year the STi will see snow in North America. I was planning to garage it for the winter, but since I love driving it so much, I'm switching to a good set of snow tires (still researching) for the Northeast winter. It's a Subaru after all. Best of luck on your car search.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
mkarls said:
I'm looking at many cars - would love an STi, but it would be my primary car. Do any owners have comments on making an STi a daily driver?

Has anyone outfitted one with snow tires? I'm in Michigan - Any STi experience in the ice and snow?
It is my daily driver and I love it. But I need to tweak the seats a little (read: invest money) if I would want to use it on extended trips.

As far as the snow goes, I would say leave the suspension alone and respect its power. Do that and get a nice set of blizzaks and the thing will be solid. If you want better highway performance, go with the M3s.

I run M2s and I would actually run blizzaks for the extra traction, but I can't justify wasting these tires. The M2s are almost like a summer tire (in terms of grip) on dry, cold highways.

-st

·
Registered
949 Posts
http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3236

here's a 3 page thread regarding an almost identical question.
i was facing the same question a couple weeks ago.
i had been mostly test driving near-luxury cars in the high 20 - low 30k price range, with the sti thrownin as my "wishful thinking" car.
well, after many test-drives, research, and forgoing leather interior and sunroof... my dark side won!
and i must say in the short time i have had her (1500 miles) i have not had one regret.
i have a few minor gripes regarding the sti, but the looks and performance have more than made up for it.
as for winter driving...
i live in new england and will undoubtedly purchase a set of winters in a month or so, even though i am probably moving to florida in the new year.
but, i did pick up a 95 bronco to handle the real nasty weather and road conditions

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
This is my daily driver too, and I'm looking forward to the New England snow!! I'm looking to go with the Tire Rack combo for snows (ASA KA3 wheels, M3 tires). Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been running my WRX on bridgestone blizzaks for the last 2 Vermont winters, and its like there ain't even snow on the ground. Of course there's some sacrifice to be had in performance, but it beats getting stuck, or worse. In general, take the combo of AWD and a set of high-end snows (as well as careful winter driving techniques) and you'll be just fine.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ordered M3's last week 205/50/17. They go on in two weeks and I live in Canada. The Sti is a great daily driver. I hope the narrower M3's cut the snow!

·
Registered
67 Posts
essogas said:
I ordered M3's last week 205/50/17. They go on in two weeks and I live in Canada. The Sti is a great daily driver. I hope the narrower M3's cut the snow!
Hello again Essogas:

I've also been thinking of going to the 205/50/17's since they're only about 1/10 of an inch greater diameter and should cut through the snow a little better than the 225/45/17's.

Let us know how they handle in the wet and dry.

I still haven't decided between Michelin Pilot Alpins, Hankooks, Blizzaks, Toyos, Yokohamas or the Dunlops.

Cheers, Phun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts