IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my DR500 FMIC. It fit pretty good. The only problem I had was it came with 03 templates, NO 04/STi templates. There are no instructions only pictures and a parts list. This was my first major install next to my TBE. Most people can do it them selves, just takes some time. Saved me $300+ on installation
The HP/Torque gains are very noticable. Now the stock recrec.(BOV) unit is not efficient enough any more, even with only 16.8 PSI. A bit of flutter and turbo back pressure surge. I put on my RFL and it seems to work better but still not as smooth as the stock unit was. I did a getto mod to recerculate the RFL back into the intake, seems to work well now, same idea as the type H. Another thing, you need to buy a yellow top 51R battery since the stock unit is too large. Even the yellow top was a tight squeeze. My Blitz SUS was an extremely tight fit, absolutley no extra room. There is some minor adjusting to the piping to get everything to fit well. I still have some touching of one of the pipes rubbing against the oil filler cap (minor). There is some cutting involved of the front bumper cover. You have to carefully cut off that dumb black piece under the license plate holes also the tabs under the lip, not the very bottom ones. Some very minor cutting in the fog light area where it was touching the inlet and outet of the IC tank. I will post some pics soon. Sorry I did not cover all the steps, just thought I would give some of the highs/lows. Also see Dan's (GOD) post on the DR650 Looks the same as mine. He is the one who sold me mine PM me if you need help or other info.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
i thought the D/R required no cutting or didnt u change the bumper beam when installing it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
It requires no cutting of any structural portion. ALL FMIC's require cutting of the bumper cover (plastic piece). The APS IC's come with the built in bumper beam attached to the IC core. I have the DR650 and it fits perfectly.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
thats wierd, we never touched the front bar on my friends bug eye, we raplaced the beam part too...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts