IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally it snowed in northern virginia. and while i was driving back home i was surprised to find that the sti's tire are definetly not made for snow.. cuz my sti had no handling and kept sleppering all the way..i really thought that subaru withh make the sti a rally type where you can drive it all the time like a rally car... guess not, what do you think :roll:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well, the STi can be driven in everything. but it is designed as a street version of the rally car. The tires that come on it are strictly summer tires. every dealer should stress this very clearly, I know mine did. if you put a set of winter tires on you will be amazed at how good it really is in the snow..

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Do we have a "stock tire" FAQ? People keep registering surprise that tires which are as close to slicks as practical for a stock street tire don't seem to do well on snow and ice... :lol: Personally I think the tread pattern was a pretty good clue... :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
bahlool said:
i really thought that subaru withh make the sti a rally type where you can drive it all the time like a rally car... guess not, what do you think :roll:
Yesterday, I was traveling in the Philadelphia and North Jersey areas: City, side streets, Turnpike. I pretty much encountered all the bad conditions.

With the proper winter tires, the STi handles amazing in the snow, frozen slush and frozen compressed snow. The combo of full lock and the manual trans gives you total control. I am really impressed with this car.

Blizzaks LM-22

·
Registered
174 Posts
Snow tires and perhaps winter wheels are needed. Thursday was my first chance to tryout mine (ASA K3 wheels and Dunlop Winter M2) and I'm very satisfied.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm with agent.sti. WHAT A BLAST! The car handled great. I am in the same area and had to go to work. Put about 40 miles on the car yesterday and made sure I tried all of the road conditions and types. I tried hills and even got stopped on one by an accident in the other direction. Never had any problems. It handled better than my Jeep, which I left home. I also have the LM22s and with the car in full 'lock' your control beats anything out there. Subies are made for winter even without that lock capability. I have had 3 subarus and 2 Jeeps and the control yesterday had me really satisfied. I just got back from a 2700 mile trip to Florida, and thought that was great. Now I know I am looking forward to winter. But you do need a winter tire, nobody expected to go through the winter on the summer radials SOA put on the car. SFRinNJ

·
Registered
343 Posts
bahlool said:
WHATS THAT FULL LOCK YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT
Dude,

Read your manual, do some research on this site and others to learn about your car. The STi is a mechanical wonder. You are cheating yourself if you are driving it without fully understanding its strengths and more importantly, its weaknesses.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol i noticed that after i typed the reply. srry about that.
today and while driving in the snow i really notice that i cant drive this car in the summer tires.. it will pretty much slip all the time.. but can anyone tell me how much they spent on a winter tires and do i need to change the rims too.. thx

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I spent around $560 for my Michelin Alpin tires and am using my stock rims. You don't need to buy wheels, but it is nice to be able just to pop the new wheels on and leave your summer and winter tires both mounted on wheels if you are able to afford winter rims.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did you try the weels on snow or hard rain.. and will they make that difference!! cuz i think i'd really need to buy themm.. where did you buy your tires from

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I haven't had mine in the snow yet. I don't know how they compare to others such as the Blizzaks. Those with Blizzaks who have had them in the snow love them. If you can get them near you or want to buy online, they are no doubt a great choice.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
MODS - need advise

i live in MASS and we just got a decent snow storm. about 8 inches where i am. i left for work last night at 11pm and was driving on the roads before the plow really got to them. i have Blizzak LM-22's and was driving in AUTO mode on the DCCD. car does just fine. never felt out of control or any signs of wheel spin. at lunch which for me is about 2am i went to get gas and have a little fun in the local High School parking lot. did a little sideways action and powerslides but the car always came back under control with no issues. now on the drive home, at 7am i put the car in full LOCK and took off. even better than AUTO mode!!! car feels like i was riding on dry pavement. we are truly blessed as owners of STi's. what a freaking awesome car!!!!! the only bad thing i can think of about the STi and snow is this. if there is snow on your hood and it melts from engine heat ,it drips right down on to the headlights and then freezes solid on them. and at $700 each i'm not going to try to chip it off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
STI VIDEOS?

Tire Rack. Dunlop Wintersport M2s and ASA K3s...the ride is very good in snow and rain...doesn't handle as crisply but the softer /quieter ride is a nice change and makes you appreciate the handling of summer tires.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Took my STi out in the snow yesterday in MA too and it did awesome. I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport M2's on Rota SDR's. I played with the DCCD in a parking lot and found great differences in with 50/50 lock, auto and 35/65 lock. In 50/50 the car was very predictable. A little understear but it could easily be converted to controlled overstear. A stab of the throttle and counter steer and the car could be brought right out of it and straight down the road. I didn't find a tendency for it to swing the other way. In auto mode I found the car to understeer more and then kick to oversteer. It was less predictable. In 35/65 the car was an oversteer machine much like my 328i. The car would snap from side to side. Still controlable and it never felt like spining, it was just like a pendulum. On the regular street the car was very controllable in 50/50 lock. It does take constraint to control the power but it is very managable. I got back and told my wife that this is why I bought the car, I can have a blast with it in the summer on the track, it's a very good every day car, I can haul my two kids when I need to and it does fantastic in the winter. Excellent job Subaru!

- Bill

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had no food so I had to take the STi out on stock tires and wow, the tail swung out when I was parking into a spot covered in snow. OK, a bit too much gas there, fine. Later, coming out of the same parking lot, the tail swung out again, but this time I was applying the throttle very lightly. I thought the tail was gonna swing over to the opposite lane but a little countersteer had me back on track. Anyway the STi and I managed to get back home in one piece but snow tires are DEFINATELY a must.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts