IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm borrowing a friends utec for a little while and am running stage 1 with a K&N drop in filter and no other power mods. While in 5th and 6th gear (and occasionally fourth) I was getting what seemed like fuel cut from a spike in boost that was happenning at wot. My gauge was reading over 1.3 bars at points.

So I got a friend to bring his laptop over and pull a little boost and then go for a ride and watch the logs while I did a pull. So it happened again and he noticed that the injectors were reading 99% right until the brick wall where it read 00. So we took a little bit of fuel out, but it still is happening but just not as often. But I'm getting occasional knock at wot I think because the CEL is flashing.

I don't want to spend the money for a tuner for the week or two that I will I have the utec. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I'm going to set my laptop up to take a look and see if it is knocking.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since you don't have a down-pipe, or any other mechanical reason for a boost creep issue, then the cause must be the utec's tune. If you run on map setting 0 (stock) does it continue to hit that cutout?

Honestly, if the UTEC is just an experiment to play with for a few weeks, I'd abort that experiment now. I doubt the car feels any faster with the UTEC than it does running just the stock ECU (does it feel faster?) But running into issues like overboost, a lean condition and knock... you're very likely heading towards engine failure in a hurry. And doing all those adjustments w/o a wideband is asking for trouble.

The only thing I'd do is take the boost map settings down until you are hitting stock boost targets. But with off-the-shelf maps you'll be running more conservative fuel and timing numbers than the car want to use on its own.

I don't know if they have ****-the-Ginge's UTEC Tuning guide posted here but it can be downloaded here :http://www.wrxhackers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2469

and it covers a lot of the fundamentals in a language that's a little easier than the UTEC manual does. (which can be found here: http://www.turboxs.com/stiupdate.htm )

Whatever you choose, don't ignore that flashing cruise. Knock is bad m'kay? Having a built motor with forged internals is nice, but it's nicer to just avoid the hassle all together.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its a good bit faster with the stage one map. Thanks for the links I'll do my reading and try to get it figured out. This definitey makes me hesitant to try an off the shelf map in the future.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The TurboXS boost maps always need to be tuned. So I'd start there and start safe.

Good luck with it. Reading is deifinitely the key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts