IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got my stereo installed. I went with an Alpine Mp3 unit. I bought infinity component 6.5's in the front and 5.5 2 ways in the rear. I’m not sure I’m happy. It seems like it gets real bad sounding when I turn it up. I get that speaker reverb sounds. If I know my stereos right, that not because they are being over powered, more so that the stereos amp cant push good enough when turned up correct? Should I got with a 4X50 channel amp to push them. do you think it will really make a good difference? Also, I would like to get some base, anyone tried just putting an 8 inch woofer box behind the passengers char. My daughters car seat is there and no one usually sites there because of this and she does not need the floor space. What do you experienced owners think?

It feels good to be able to put my own stereo in. My Acursas were locked in with the bose system that you could not do much but I was still extreemly happy with the quality of the sound.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
If you are only powering the speakers with the head unit then you are definitely not giving the speakers enough power. Even a 4X50 I doubt would be enough, it might make a difference but you will still have crappy sound when turning up the volume. I am not sure what Infinity components you went with but I know the Kappas have a 90 RMS rating and will handle well over 200 watts. I would put at least 100 - 150 watts to them, preferrably 150. An 8" wub would help but them you will need another amp for it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MKIVSupra said:
If you are only powering the speakers with the head unit then you are definitely not giving the speakers enough power. Even a 4X50 I doubt would be enough, it might make a difference but you will still have crappy sound when turning up the volume. I am not sure what Infinity components you went with but I know the Kappas have a 90 RMS rating and will handle well over 200 watts. I would put at least 100 - 150 watts to them, preferrably 150. An 8" wub would help but them you will need another amp for it.
What amp would you suggest for this? I can only afford a $200 amp with install ($270 total). Preferably 4 channel.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Re: RUST!...ALREADY!!!

y2ks2k said:
What amp would you suggest for this? I can only afford a $200 amp with install ($270 total). Preferably 4 channel.
I bought a 4 month old JL 300/4 amp on eBay for $300.00 shipped and it is great. You might try that route. A new $200 amp is not going to do much. I would stick with the head unit until you can spen a few more bucks.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Well I guess all you can do is get the one you can afford with the most watts or get different speakers. I know it kind of sux... I was originally only going to spend the money it would cost to get the stock setup, well maybe a little more, but it totally snowballed into this all out system. It get's to a point where you are like, well if I am going to get this nice head unit I might as well get some nice speakers... then, if I am going to get these nice speakers I better make sure I give them enough power... I gotta have a sub so I better make sure I am giving the sub enough power also... etc. My system jams but I admit I kind of over did it. I always wanted to do this to a car so I don't really regret it. It just leaves my car mod budget drained for this year.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the infinity Refrence Series that is rated at 270. Im thinking about going with a $200 2 way amp for the front only and run the rears off the stock deck. What do you think about that? I should be able to get a good 2 channel amp for $200.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. Your fronts are the most important. Maybe down the road add a amp for the rears if you feel like it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts