IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a thread before talking about tunes for my STi...

We got to the point of me buying the following:

Alpine 9807 HU
Kappa 63.5i Front Speakers
Kappa 42.5i Back Speakers

I also am going to attempt to install this myself.

What I am finding is that I can get these exact components for $200 less on eBay than at crutchfield...

MY QUESTION (finally) is:

Am I giving up anything buying off eBay installation wise... Will I need to do something funky / cutting wires / getting different connectors, etc, etc. What am I losing by not getting Suby "harness / kit"???

Keep in mind I have NEVER installed car audio so maybe I am not asking the question in exactly the right way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
YOU NEED A HARNESS KIT. :D Believe me, it will make the job MUCH MUCH easier. ;)

They are like 15-20 bucks max.

Also, it is always best to solder your connections instead of using a wire-nut, electrical tape, etc.

So you solder the connections from the stereo to the harness, plug the harness into the stock wiring, and that's it. The headunit is the easy part.

The speakers are another story, sometimes when pulling the door panel off, things will "pop-out" and break, so be careful.

FWIW, even though I know what I am doing installing this stuff, I will gladly pay the money for a real good installer to do it for me. But I am talking Amps and stuff, not just a simple headunit/speaker swap..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Go ahead and buy the stuff as cheap as you can get it for. The only thing is that you may have a harder time warrantying a broken product through a vendor on Ebay. That is the only real difference.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I get the Crutchfield catalogs, but I have never bought anything. Does anyone know if they might have wiring harnesses for Subaru cars to connect to most common stereo brands?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered the harness from crutchfield today...

Thanks JJ & Alfredob1!

OK No problem soldering the harness to the HU. I like solder..

How about the speakers? Should these be soldered in as well? Is there mounting hardware needed that won't come with the speakers (Assuming buy off eBay)?

Anybody that did install on WRX have any "Tips & Tricks" for removing STi door panels?

I know I got a zillion questions but I am resolved to do this myself AND to do it right. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
866 Posts
No prob.

You could solder the wires to the contacts on the speakers but that would mean cutting of the conenctor on the factory wiring. If you ever had to remove your speakers and put in somehing else you would have to unsolder and resolder. Or if you sold the car and kept your speakers who ever recieves the car will be screwed becuase it won't have the connector(s). Crutchfield also carries connectors so you don't need to cut of the factory stuff. I didn't see them on their website so you might have to call. But these accesories allow you to plug right into the factory connector then crimp on the proper peice (can't find right term) and connect it to the speaker. Another thing you might need are mounting brackets (in case the hole is too big). Something else you can most likely get from Crutchfield.

Last thing if you buy speakers from Crutchfield they'll give you all this stuff for free. And instructions on how to do it. You may pay more but you also get more.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to put the word out for Crutchfield!

I ordered the subaru wiring harness for the headunit for the radio that I don't have yet for the car that isn't here... :-?

I got it like 5 minutes later (OK 2 days) from Crutchfield in a stiff mailing envelope with the following additional things:

Crutchfield Catalog
Crutchfield Coupons
General Car Audio Installation Booklet
Detailed WRX Audio Installation Booklet

This all accompanied a $15 (with shipping) part!

When people say "they hook you up" they are right.

I am now extremely conflicted. I want to buy off eBay for cheap prices, but I also want to buy off Crutchfield for the "extras" and support...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been looking around to see what to get for the STI in speaker size but no one seems to have it. I went to crutchfield and they only stated a 4" rear speaker. No front. Can someone tell me what the speaker sizes are for the wrx?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Don't buy from Crutchfield if you value your money at all. WAY over priced. They should hook you up.

As far as install stuff, I'd rather do it all myself. There is just no way that someone else is going to give your car as much time as attention as you will. And amps, subs...all that stuff.....it's really not that hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts