IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the steering wheel feel stiffer? For some reason my steering feels too sensitive and if I move it just a centimeter a tad I'll be tracking into the next lane. Its a little TOO sensitive for my tastes, and makes freeway driving very tiring as I have to constantly adjust the wheel to keep it straight.

I originally thought it was the alignment, so I got a -1.0 camber up front and 0 toe all around, it didn't seem to help that much. The next major thing I did was deflate the tires a considerable amount. This helped tremendously, but I am running 28-29 in rear, and about 31 in the fronts. The steering feels much stiffer now, but the car still wanders a little bit, needing constant attention.

Its feels even more weird in turns, starting out with a little oversteer while holding the line in a turn. So much that I have to let go of the wheel to avoid merging into the lane next to me. Going through sweeping curves on the freeway is a constant zigzag. I never really felt like I had this problem when I drove my friend's S2000 and my old MR2. I could put it where I want to into a curve, and hold the wheel with a smooth line. With the STi, its constant adjusting. I don't think this is normal since other STi users said their steering feels fine.

Would anyone know what could be the issue?

·
Registered
928 Posts
slidez said:
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the steering wheel feel stiffer? For some reason my steering feels too sensitive and if I move it just a centimeter a tad I'll be tracking into the next lane. Its a little TOO sensitive for my tastes, and makes freeway driving very tiring as I have to constantly adjust the wheel to keep it straight.

I originally thought it was the alignment, so I got a -1.0 camber up front and 0 toe all around, it didn't seem to help that much. The next major thing I did was deflate the tires a considerable amount. This helped tremendously, but I am running 28-29 in rear, and about 31 in the fronts. The steering feels much stiffer now, but the car still wanders a little bit, needing constant attention.

Its feels even more weird in turns, starting out with a little oversteer while holding the line in a turn. So much that I have to let go of the wheel to avoid merging into the lane next to me. Going through sweeping curves on the freeway is a constant zigzag. I never really felt like I had this problem when I drove my friend's S2000 and my old MR2. I could put it where I want to into a curve, and hold the wheel with a smooth line. With the STi, its constant adjusting. I don't think this is normal since other STi users said their steering feels fine.

Would anyone know what could be the issue?
Try a little toe in up front to keep you in your lane on the freeway. Personally I wish the STi had a much faster rack 12.5:1 yum!

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Those tire pressures are too low, despite what you may think feels good. A lot of the tramlining effect is in the stock tires. Their sidewalls are very stiff and they tend to want to follow grooves in the road. I'm used to it, but you could try a tire with a softer sidewall. Or go drive an Evo, that will really make you work to keep the car pointed straight. These cars don't want to go straight, they want to turn :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you are on the stock re070s then you will have a lot of tramlining given the sidewall stiffness. You should try the stock tires with over 2.0 degrees negative camber. Every groove, crown in the road results in the car steering itself. You just have to stay on top of it. I drive on negative 2.0 daily and when I'm on the re070s I have to be alert.

That's why I use the re070s only on the track and use Falken ST115s on the street. It is a more forgiving tire, doesn't follow grooves, and is very quiet.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
thrlskr said it right. Get a little toe in and you'll be fine. And raise those tire pressures back up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Im on sumitomo htr's I believe but I have to double check, they came with the car, but I know for sure its not the RE's. Im going to try to get another realignment for some toe-in on the front. I was reading that 1/8th should be sufficent. Does that sound good?

Also about the tire pressures, even though im running them low, the wear marks don't seem to be too wide, its not even close to the edge. Is there a way I can find out the optimal tire pressures for a given brand?

·
Registered
928 Posts
slidez said:
Yeah Im on sumitomo htr's I believe but I have to double check, they came with the car, but I know for sure its not the RE's. Im going to try to get another realignment for some toe-in on the front. I was reading that 1/8th should be sufficent. Does that sound good?

Also about the tire pressures, even though im running them low, the wear marks don't seem to be too wide, its not even close to the edge. Is there a way I can find out the optimal tire pressures for a given brand?
1/8 will be fine. I wouldn't fret too much about the perfect tire pressures. Keep them in the mid 30s with a few psi more in the front than the rear and you'll be ok.

·
Super Moderator
10,725 Posts
What year STi are we talking about? If an '04, I may have some suggestions.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
.1 toe in up front is very nice for street driving and road course use. But I like a bit of toe out for autocross.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts