IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel is a little off center! Towards the left. I was wondering if anyone was having this problem. I can live with it. I am just worried about some mechanic at the dealer messing with my alignment if I complain about it. It just gets a little annoying while going straight! :evil:

·
Registered
311 Posts
My Outback is like that. Its soooo annoying. The car goes straight but the steering wheel is to the left about 3-5 degrees. :evil: I haven't gotten it checked out cause its not a huge problem. Makes me want to go through the twisties so I don't notice it, oh wait, I do that with any car :p

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Check it out on different roads, does it happen all the time? I noticed mine was off center to the left, but then later on a different road it was opposite. I know these tires are pretty sensitive to the road pattern because of the large footprint. Hopefully, it is not an issue.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have the Serivce manual?

You are right. GForced. I have another problem fight now, with the trunk release.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I had the same issue. You can adjust the strick plate that is located inside the trunk. Just raise it slightly. I played with it for a little while until I got it to where the trunk release would work and the trunk was tightly closed. Or you could take it to the dealer to fix it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine is off center, to the left a few degrees. Strange that it's so common... Is it an alignment issue or just the way the wheel is bolted on? If I let go of the wheel, the car doesn't pull, which tells me the alignment is fine.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Not that this is a big problem, but I have to ask...

Do you think this is a case of "that's just the way it is", or does it possibly have something to do with most roads being pitched to the driver's right for drainage??

·
Registered
43 Posts
STiObserver said:
Not that this is a big problem, but I have to ask...

Do you think this is a case of "that's just the way it is", or does it possibly have something to do with most roads being pitched to the driver's right for drainage??
I had the same thought, so I drove on the wrong side of a few different sections of road to test that theory... When I switched over, the steering wheel either centered or stayed where it was - left-of-center, depending on the road. One expects a road to have the same grade on both sides, so if the wheel is 5 degrees left-of-center when driving on the right side, it should be 5 degrees right-of-center when driving on the left side. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Using 5 degrees as an example, the wheel is actually 2.5 degrees off center while the road has a 2.5 degree grade - making the wheel 5 degrees off when driving on the right side, and centered when driving on the left side. Yes I know, I'm not using exact science here, but it illustrates the point.

The wheel is also off center driving across parking lots, my paved driveway, a freshly resurfaced four lane interstate highway, etc... places where there the road is pretty much level.

So is this a problem with the steering wheel, column, or alignment? Like I said, my car doesn't pull to one side or the other. If I take my hands off the wheel, the car goes straight, but with the steering wheel left-of-center a few degrees.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well now you guys got me thinkin'..........My car actually pulls slightly left so the steering wheel is off center to the right.

I was hoping it was tire pressure differences but that wasn't it........

The car had 30 miles on it when I picked it up so who know's what happened to it before I got it..........

I just hate to take it to the dealer for reapirs this early(800 miles today)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I commute on country roads everyday. I noticed when I got the car the wheel was dead center, but after my 20 mile ride home, when I stopped in the driveway, it was skewed to the left so I began paying attention on my drives. My conclusion; It changes with every drive. Sometimes centered sometimes left. I beleive it's the rack shifting in the bushings when force is applied in either direction. I had similar issues with my mr2. and once the bushings were changed the problem vanished.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Perfect explanation. I have the same problem. I had the same problem with my WRX, also. The dealer was never able to fix it with my WRX. I had a perfomance alignment done and that fixed it. My Sti is the same way. I asked the dealer (different dealership this time) to fix it and they ended up making it worse. So, it will go back to them tomorrow. It is not the alignment.......the alignment is within spec. The steering wheel is just not straight when I'm going straight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts