IW STi Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts
Yes, even if returned to stock form. It's in the system with Subaru that the car was modded, and no mods at any point can be used when pursuing a lemom law.

I have already contacted multiple lemon law attorneys, and if pursuing lemon law, it's not valid.

Also, something I learned, even if the car was taken in during the original warranty, and if the warranty expires when car is at the shop, you cannot use Lemon Law, so there is that. You basically have to have the car in shop or in your possession when filing the case with an existing warranty. Kind of shitty. Normally this would not be an issue as most lemon laws cases are within the first 3 years. Not at the end of year 5 like me.

I have looked into other legal actions though as I am being cheated here. I have made $3000 in payments with no car or loaner for 6 months, and no fix, and I will have a hard time selling a car with issues, and I feel as Subaru should buy my car back or at least pay for the deprecation of my car and all the car payments I have had to make.

I don't want it anymore. I will go crazy driving a car that makes noises.

We will see what happens and what kind of company Subaru really is.

got to check out my car today. Still not fixed! They are giving up, and contacting Subaru for a cash settlement.

I hope this goes well. I am freaking pissed driving a stock STi. Feels soooo slow!

Is it normal for boost to peak at 16? I don't remember it beeing so low.. I thought it was more like 17.5 on stock tune.

keep us updated. Mine is so much more than the steering column though. The tires skip when doing this and all the noise and feel is transmitted into the cabin through the steering.

Again, listen to my video.

Horrible Subaru Steering Sound Issue - YouTube
Wow bro, i just was skimming through this tread and simply wow. I cant believe this has been going on for this long. I feel for you on this one. Based on that video it sounds like there is somekind of binding going on in the steering assembly. I saw they replaced a steering rack already but have they tried replacing the steering shaft itself? The steering shaft that would link the steering rack to the steering column.

This just in for my similar issue!

My steering rattle issue that was a feeling of tires skipping and transmitting into the steering wheel/cabin at low speeds...it was my tie rods! They were smoked at 49K miles. The bolts were ceased and the rod was basically able to freely spin.

The dealer said this is a "known issue" and Subaru covered under my extended warranty:)

This is not a known issue. I have been dealing with one of the top people at SOA. There is absolutely nothing documented about this whatsoever.

If it was a known issue, they would have not done all the work and pulled my transmission twice.

If you can prove otherwise, send me the notes stating that tie rods were the problem and it's "known issue", and I will forward it to my assigned person at SOA helping me with the case.

wow, my tie rods appear to be fine, haven't disconnected them so could be wrong...rack came in and these are pretty simple imo….gna disassemble soon to see how splines internally interact for the telescoping capability...externally it just has bearings at top and bottom and bolts to the dash...did have thought this last time mine rattled, could it be the airbag/horn rattling?

Hey man, I'm just relaying what I was told by the service team I worked with for my specific case. I had severe tire skipping and vibration up through the steering wheel at low speed turns and it sounded similar to what many were/are experiencing. I was one of the day one guys following your updates since that sht was bad.

This problem started at 7k miles for me, finally got a fix at 49K miles. I checked engine mounts, bushings, every nut and bolt I could... I never brought it to the dealers attention, they caught it when doing an alignment that the bolts were ceased (common and documented according to Maita Subaru) allowing the tie rod to spin freely.

Just because it was the fix for me, it might not be for you, but something that should be brought to attention on this thread.

I'm decent with a wrench, but I'm not a true mechanic, nobody is perfect and going to catch everything.

Hope the recent findings and resolve of my issue help others on this thread. I spent hours of research and checking things like the top hats, wheel studs for stripping, sway bars, bushings, motor mounts, my drive shaft I installed, the steering wheel I installed, my 2 piece rotors, calipers, a lot of stuff...

ya, thanks for the post--I hope this helps other people. I think it's a simple test one can get while the car is up in the air such as getting oil change.

I wish it were that simple on mine...

I had a 2015 STI and also a 2016 STI, I don't remember ever hearing it when I had those cars, but the suspension was much much stiffer than the 18 + STIs and from my memory everything was rattling in those cars. Perhaps this noise was there but hidden.
I don't know if the videos show (and yes I know it is a "crime"), but I also had an Evo X and the wheels I am currently on are Evo X wheels with some cheap eBay winter tires. I also have the stock set up and the noise is still there but not as much as on these rims. The 15, 16, and 2017 STI came with 18 inch rims. I wonder if that makes a difference??

61 - 80 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.