IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems like several people have replace parts to fix this issue. Assuming that all the posts are the same issue, we know it's not the rack, pump, lca's or any of the other parts mentioned. It seems like everything past the steering column was replaced by someone.

This leads me to believe maybe a steering angle sensor or something in the column is to blame. Perhaps erratic readings from this is causing the rattle. It's so loud, it involves the pump. Arm power isn't making that noise.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I kid you not the dealer still has my car. Should get it back next wk.

The dealer made me go back to stock, but agreed to replace front diff.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Geeze man. How frustrating. Well, please do keep us updated. I'd love to hear what it ends up being so hopefully I can fix myself or tell a mechanic exactly what to do.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
just got home. Car is still not fixed, even after $10,000 in parts. I think the GM is going to commit suicide, lol.

I am not sure what the next steps will be but I think a field engineer from Subaru is going to come out and meet me.

What's worse is that now my steering pump makes a pretty loud whine when at full lock, at least I think it's the pump.
Never did this before and not sure what would even cause this??

This is one of the things they replaced too.

So now I have more problems than when I arrived.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
went to the dealer again today to no avail.

They replaced the other axle and the problem still exists.

They have FINALLY agreed to take apart the steering column and see if something is rubbing.

I will say it does it a lot worse on bad pavement or cobblestone kind of ground, OR when it's cold or wet outside.

Not sure what will be next but waiting to hear back and steering column is taken apart.

·
Registered
279 Posts
goodness...that's a lot of parts into it for just guesswork! my rx8 had throttlebody issue where they flew engineer from japan to check it out similarly...they should be able to get to the bottom of this quickly!

I also live in area where roads are horrible so i hear/feel it on the regular as well...will be glad to hear you are back in your subie and then start fixing mine!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
update:

They are now replacing the rubber steering lines that connect to the pump as well as the serpentine belt.

What's super annoying is now I have a whine from the pump that was not there before. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
goodness...that's a lot of parts into it for just guesswork! my rx8 had throttlebody issue where they flew engineer from japan to check it out similarly...they should be able to get to the bottom of this quickly!

I also live in area where roads are horrible so i hear/feel it on the regular as well...will be glad to hear you are back in your subie and then start fixing mine!
bottom of this quickly, ya right!!!! I have a feeling they are not going to be able to fix it.

I have not had my car in 6 months, and at this rate, it could be another month, and the problem will still be there. I find this unacceptable as I have been making payments with no car.

They also forced me to put my car back to stock as they said it was the cause of the front diff, which of course was not true and did not even fix it. Car is slower in stock form :(

Here is the list of parts so far they have replaced:

1. steering rack
2. steering pump
3. center diff
4. front diff
5. left Axle
6. right Axle

and now waiting on

7. belt
8. steering lines.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
they decided against it last minute and are going with belt and steering lines.

The thing is the tires somewhat shutter when it happens, so...

I assume the steering column gets taken apart from the inside? Are the bushings easy to see?

41 - 60 of 75 Posts