IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.. yes mine does that too both at stop and low speeds. At least now we also know that replacing the rack does not fix it.. I wonder though if dealership really replaced your rack.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
ya, but they are pretty much skipping when I do it. You can hear the tires struggling when it happens and it is transmitted through the steering wheel.

Car is at the dealer now. They are thinking one of the black rubber steering lines since that is pretty much the only thing left they have not replaced? Maybe internal crack. When they replaced the rack, they said the hard lines were replaced...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I get this at very low speeds, but not as bad as in the video. Like under 10mph. Usually on a turn (no, it isn't the diff or turning the wheel too far). It feels like the steering is loose and the front wheels are rattling/skipping.

I've heard everything from steering rack, to suspension, you name it while trying to research. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
well, mine started off at low speeds, when just barely turning the wheel (usually on bad pavement) but then became apparent at idle, and it's worse in cold or rainy conditions.

When it's rainy or bad road conditions outside, it's soo much worse and super easy to replicate.

With that said, it seems to do it about 7/10 times. Sometimes it just doesn't do it, but other days or even on the same day, it's downright awful.

4th time at the dealer, hoping this is the last. It's getting a little frustrating.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The dealer is at a lost. They are ordering the rubber black steering line (think there is just one) that comes directly off the pump.

The only thing left that I can think of is the belt and tensioner.

Anything else related to steering or that touches the steering? Any help would be appreciated.

It's simply a guessing game at this point.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts